Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lost in Time
Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 6 March, 2013 09:48AM
Quote:
This melody was composed by 5 year old Rowyn Davies, who specifies that it is to be played with ONLY the left hand, with the music being read right to left. The piece has been arranged and performed by Mars Homeworld, and wil appear as a theme in the upcoming Lovecraftian film TRANSCENDENT. Permission kindly granted by Rowyn.

[youtu.be]

Re: Lost in Time
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 7 March, 2013 08:21AM
The English Assassin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This melody was composed by 5 year old Rowyn
> Davies, who specifies that it is to be played with
> ONLY the left hand, with the music being read
> right to left. The piece has been arranged and
> performed by Mars Homeworld, and wil appear as a
> theme in the upcoming Lovecraftian film
> TRANSCENDENT. Permission kindly granted by Rowyn.
>
> [youtu.be]

all standard music is read left to right - the video moves right to left which is, I think what you meant to say.
Interesting little melody - is it being played on a keyboard or a Moog? can't quite tell.

Date: 9 March, 2013 10:53AM
It looks like the video moves from right to left to my eyes, but I'm no musician, so maybe I'm mistaken about what I'm seeing. But the text I quoted is just copy/pasted as it was found on YouTube, so any mistakes aren't mine... for once :)

But yes, I quite like it... it's not reinventing the wheel or anything, but it has a certain irregular and sombre charm... certainly when you consider the composer's age. It reminds me of a lot of the old British TV shows from the 70s, such as Children of the Stones and the Ghost Stories for Christmas. As for the instrument... some sort of synth I would guess, but it could be anything... I would guess that it's not analogue from the sound, but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2013 04:43AM
That is very mature for a 5 year old. It is more complex even than many adult musicians can bring forth. Most remarkable.

Here is another beautiful tune, on guitar, arranged by her father.
[www.youtube.com]

His arrangement is technical and competent. But I think her melody is actually better, and more novel in its movement.

Date: 10 March, 2013 06:47AM
That's very sweet too... but more conventional, as you say.

I think children can often create very interesting art free from the conventions and knowingness that adults can get trapped by... I guess Picasso was one of the first to understand this... children are the original outsider artists.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2013 11:18AM
The English Assassin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think children can often create very interesting
> art free from the conventions and knowingness that
> adults can get trapped by... I guess Picasso was
> one of the first to understand this... children
> are the original outsider artists.

I'd like to linger here for a while, . . . . Because this something of so essential importance.

Herein lies the danger of all schools, both in Life's "own school", and within the walls of institutions. It could be one of the most difficult lessons to teach, and perhaps not completely a possible one, the striving to let students retain their own full integrity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page