Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Collected Poetry of C.A Smith, and Hello
Posted by: YohVombis (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2013 05:26AM
Hello everyone!

I am an author of fantasy from Vic, Australia, and I just made this account tonight so that I may partake in some of the discussion regarding the late, C.A Smith. First of all I just want to express my delight in coming across such a wonderful website, and that I hope to view the works of any other aspiring authors in my time here.

So onto the second half of my thread. I was hoping to collect the opinions of anyone that has purchased, or had a chance to view the three books that span the poetry of smith.

How well made are the editions?
As far as content goes, how are they?
Illustrations? How are they/are there any?
Overall thoughts/opinions?

I am considering purchasing a copy of these three books myself from The Book Depository, because it is a brilliant place to buy books, though $70 AUD is a bit of a pricey purchase, so I would like the thoughts of others before I decide.

I hope to see some posts soon!

Re: Collected Poetry of C.A Smith, and Hello
Posted by: phillipAellis (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2013 06:04AM
Welcome!

I own both the hardcover and paperback editions of the Hippocampus 3-volume set. I can recommend the paperback, as it is less expensive, and is more up-to-date, containing poems missed from the hardcover edition.

I do suggest that, if you can, order from the publisher whenever possible. This usually means that there is no trade discount of 40% (give or take a few percent) for bookshops, money which would help support the publisher in getting books out. I say this as an author, and as a friend of the Hippocampus owner, Derrick Hussey (speaking of the CAS volumes).

As for the illustrations, there are none in the three-volume set, however there is such a congeries of imagery in the poem that there is no illustration that can do justice to them as a whole.

I admit a bias towards Smith's poetry, more than to his fiction, and I am trying to refrain from gilding a very pretty lily with my shopworn praise, if I may be pardoned the mixed metaphors.

Before I go, I can recommend looking into purchasing the earlier editions, especially the original ones, as this gives a major insight into our reception of Smith as a poet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page