Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
new books comment
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2013 09:59AM
Just a quick note to tell you all that my heart is warmed on behalf of my old friend of a bygone era to see this amount of interest and serious examination of his work - when he handed me the stack of manuscripts that became "The Sword of Zagan", it was a last ditch hope to be remembered - but he doubted he would even be a footnote in the history of literature of the 20th century - it is clear from the recent postings on this forum, that the ground swell of interest is heading toward flood stage - "a consummation devoutly to be wished" -

Re: new books comment
Posted by: phillipAellis (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2013 04:22PM
Don't forget that you yourself have been a major reason for this rennaisance of interest. There is a place, in any fandom, for the earlier generations to inspire the youngsters, to be the elder statesfolk (if I may be permitted the barbarism).

This is more than just knowledge and anecdotes, as valuable they are for us, but also the exemplar of a knowledgable person, a guiding hand in manners and mores, and, more importantly a friend we can admit our admiration of. This life will be all the poorer without you, Dr Farmer, and people like Fred Phillips, yet we have the next generations developing to guide the next batches of youngsters, with Scott and Wilum among them (and learned in their own ways).

Ah me; I ramble enough. I thank thee, maestro, and mayest thou fare well among us striplings and epigoni.

Date: 28 April, 2013 08:16PM
phillipAellis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't forget that you yourself have been a major
> reason for this rennaisance of interest. There is
> a place, in any fandom, for the earlier
> generations to inspire the youngsters, to be the
> elder statesfolk (if I may be permitted the
> barbarism).
>
> This is more than just knowledge and anecdotes, as
> valuable they are for us, but also the exemplar of
> a knowledgable person, a guiding hand in manners
> and mores, and, more importantly a friend we can
> admit our admiration of. This life will be all the
> poorer without you, Dr Farmer, and people like
> Fred Phillips, yet we have the next generations
> developing to guide the next batches of
> youngsters, with Scott and Wilum among them (and
> learned in their own ways).
>
> Ah me; I ramble enough. I thank thee, maestro, and
> mayest thou fare well among us striplings and
> epigoni.
Thanks Philip - and, if I may quote Dorian Grey - "Youth, youth, there is nothing in the world but youth" -
and it continues to astound me as I go about my busy life, I keep running into talented, gifted young people -
eager, it would seem, pick up whatever they can from the old timers - that's a good - met a kid yesterday, college Sophomore theater major - had a chance to work with him on Edmund's speech from King Lear - wonderful to see how a few suggestions on gesture, pace, volume etc - and the kid's work, already very good, comes alive - and best of all, to see that he recognizes it and is thrilled by what he could learn in just a few minutes - I mean like, "WOW Dudes" - my deep affection for you all -

Date: 28 April, 2013 10:35PM
I know that many of my friends, younger as they than I am, are immensely talented in many ways, especially since most of these friends are poets and other creative individuals. And I have been placed as -- at times -- almost an elder statesman due to what I have learnt over my creative life. And it is good to be able to pass on my skills to others, and to learn in turn from them.

I have affection not only for them, but also for my elders and my cohort.

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2013 12:32AM
I will second Phillip's sentiments, Dr. Farmer. The debt we owe to you, as well as others, goes beyond words. Were it not for the work accomplished by you and your fellows, there is so much both about and by CAS I would still know nothing about; and I would be immeasurably the poorer for it.

I will also add a note concerning the young in such context. A few years ago, when I was working at a specialty bookstore, I was restocking the shelves when a group of high-school-to-early-college kids came in. They were quite involved in their conversation, and I let them go about their business as I went about mine... until I heard one of them make the comment, "Yeah, she was known as the "IT" girl"... and my ears pricked up, and I couldn't help (given their age) but think: "No, they can't possibly be talking about Clara Bow".... And, of course, they were. Turns out they were all great fans of silent film (among other things), and we had a lovely discussion about the relative merits of Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd, not to mention such directors as Victor Sjostrom, Erich von Stroheim, and King Vidor... as well as such figures as Ms. Bow, Mary Pickford, and Louise Brooks.... Nor is this sort of thing all that uncommon, as I have had no few encounters with younger people who read, admire, and wish to emulate writers such as CAS, HPL, or Cabell (among others).... And yes, this sort of thing does tend to hearten one, when we are so often surrounded by evidences of the attempted (and too often successful) "dumbing-down" of our culture....

Date: 30 April, 2013 01:38PM
the experience you mention is one that truly gives one hope - had it happen a few times - quite wonderful and amazing - recently had such an experience being overheard by a neighboring table at dinner following watching "Live from the Met" at the local theater complex - young fellow and Dad, both interested in the arts - we were discussing a play we are doing, and previous performances by well-known artists - and the films of those shows as well - young guy was theater arts student - and has followed up with a visit - and recited for me a Edmund's "bastard" speech from "King Lear" which he doing for a college class - I was able to give him some performance suggestions which he employed and just seemed like a bird in next beak agape - I told him to use me all he wishes, as I know not when I will get to "tread the starts" - so don't waste time - next time, I will have him reading Smith - Mwahahaha

Date: 1 May, 2013 04:59PM
I am slowly and surreptitiously introducing CAS to poet friends. A teaser here, a morsel to tempt the jaded, and before they know I've got them buying the books. :) Ah, me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page