Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tales of Averoigne
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2013 10:45AM
This appears as a trade paperback on Amazon from Cerberus Gaming Combine/Createspace with a publication date of November 2012. Has anyone actually SEEN this book and does anyone know who put it together? I hope Ron had something to do with this.

Also, does anyone know any more about Donald Grant's long-promised, recently resurrected, but again inexplicably-delayed AVEROIGNE tome? Perhaps they have been taking lessons from Alhazred: "That is not dead which we can eternally delay".

Re: Tales of Averoigne
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2013 12:54PM
I think that's the unauthorised version that Scott warned about on FB.

Posted by: phillipAellis (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2013 04:22PM
I'm sure you're correct about that one, Martinus.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 1 May, 2013 08:58PM
Somebody cut and paste a bunch of entries from this site and called themselves "editor". THey even used stories by Ron, Simon Whitechapel, and others without permission (well, I don't know about the others, but Ron sure as hell didn't give permission). It's even shoddier than the POD editions of ODES AND SONNETS that are out there. It's not even fair to call it "crap" because we can at least use _that_ to grow things.

Date: 1 May, 2013 10:34PM
I hope they didn't include anything by myself; I've not given permission.

Date: 1 May, 2013 10:42PM
No, there's nothing by myself.

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 3 May, 2013 07:30PM
I had nothing to do with this, aside from having two of my CAS tales reprinted in the book without my knowledge or consent. I notified CASiana as soon as I saw the book advertised on Amazon, and both the estate and I have sent letters of objection to Cereberus/CreateSpace, but have not yet heard anything from them. Some despicable pirate by the name of Nathan Robertson is calling himself editor and claims to have copyrighted the entire collection, although most of the contents are currently under copyright in other collections. I would encourage Michael Minnis, Simon Whitechapel, and Garnett Elliott to voice their objections as well:
Copyright Agent
CreateSpace Legal Department
P.O. Box 81266
Seattle, WA 98108

As for THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES, I began shopping the book around to other publishers last year (with the permission and support of the Smith estate) and have recently begun working with another publisher; same texts, but with a new format and artwork. To his credit, Robert Wiener didn't like the idea, but did agree to let it go and even offered to send existing materials to the new publisher. I have always had a cordial relationship with Robert, but I never liked the format (same size and shape as the Grant edition of AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS) and I wasn't too fond of the artwork by Fernando Duval either. Finally decided it was crazy to continue to wait on a book I would never be happy with . . . only wish I had done this years ago. Can't say more on this as I don't want to jinx it!!
-Ron

Date: 3 May, 2013 08:36PM
Thank you for your post, Ron: my protestations have been sent, and I hope they listen.

Is it advisable, should the opportunities present themselves, where one would post a review online (eg. Amazon, Goodreads) that we post non-defamatory, non-libellous, straightforward equivalents to "this book breaks copyright law and none of the authors included will see a cent of income from this"?

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 3 May, 2013 08:51PM
phillipAellis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for your post, Ron: my protestations
> have been sent, and I hope they listen.
>
> Is it advisable, should the opportunities present
> themselves, where one would post a review online
> (eg. Amazon, Goodreads) that we post
> non-defamatory, non-libellous, straightforward
> equivalents to "this book breaks copyright law and
> none of the authors included will see a cent of
> income from this"?

I do not see why not. I have a posted a few reviews about shoddy practices, the latest of which was a blatant rip-off of Douglas Anderson's fine William Hope Hogdson collection from Cold Springs Press, which another publisher issued with only token contents changes, without even bothering to disguise the title very much.

Jim

Date: 3 May, 2013 09:21PM
Thank you both for your support. I do wonder tho, is there any written statement here on the Eldritch Dark which states that the CAS material available here is under copyright and prohibits any such acts of piracy? Or which points out that the tribute story rights belong to the individual authors? Perhaps it was my mistake to allow these tales to be posted here for anyone to steal . . .

Date: 3 May, 2013 09:28PM
I found its Amazon page and sent in a review that basically stated the above. I had to give it a rating out of five stars, so only gave it one star.

Date: 3 May, 2013 09:31PM
In "About the Eldritch Dark" there are "Notes on Copyright".

Date: 3 May, 2013 09:44PM

Date: 3 May, 2013 10:07PM
Thanks for this review Phillip, and thanks also for locating the copyright statement. I'm glad to see this and will pass this info along to those who may be interested.
-Ron

Date: 3 May, 2013 10:20PM
You're welcome, Ron.

I did check to see if there were a Goodreads page, as well, but nothing came up as a result of my search, so I both doubt that there is one, and I I doubt the advisability of starting one.

Phillip

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page