Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
In my 'to be read' pile is...
Posted by: phillipAellis (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2013 01:36AM
In my 'to be read' pile is the recent edition of Far Off Things by Machen, that The Three Impostors put out in a numbered print run of 250 copies. It is an attractive book, with a number of beautiful black & white photographs that enhance the text, and dark green, mottled endpapers that haunt me even now. The whole is a splendid production, different from the Tartarus Press editions in many ways, in terms of overall aesthetic, yet equally beautiful in a literally darker, equally striking way. It is well worth it if you appreciate the pleasures of a fine-looking book, and it's an essential for any Machenist.

Re: In my 'to be read' pile is...
Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2013 02:53PM
I finally got The Dream of X by W. H. Hodgson. We'll see how it is-----

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2013 02:38AM
phillipAellis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my 'to be read' pile is the recent edition of
> Far Off Things by Machen, that The Three Impostors
> put out in a numbered print run of 250 copies. It
> is an attractive book, with a number of beautiful
> black & white photographs that enhance the text,
> and dark green, mottled endpapers that haunt me
> even now. The whole is a splendid production,
> different from the Tartarus Press editions in many
> ways, in terms of overall aesthetic, yet equally
> beautiful in a literally darker, equally striking
> way. It is well worth it if you appreciate the
> pleasures of a fine-looking book, and it's an
> essential for any Machenist.

Pretty reasonably priced too - I think I shall have to get one of those...

@Gavin: I'll be interested how you found Dream of X. I have to say that I didn't find the reading experience much improved from Nightland. Maybe it's just me...

Date: 19 May, 2013 04:10AM
If you haven't already, invest in a set of the Machen and other items from Tartarus Press. Like The Three Impostors, the books are reasonably priced and attractive hardcovers, and I know that once the current edition of Tales of Horror and the Supernatural is exhausted then the book will go out of print (due to the ready availability of the Penguin Machen).

Date: 19 May, 2013 05:35AM
phillipAellis Wrote:
> If you haven't already, invest in a set of the
> Machen and other items from Tartarus Press. Like
> The Three Impostors, the books are reasonably
> priced and attractive hardcovers, and I know that
> once the current edition of Tales of Horror and
> the Supernatural is exhausted then the book will
> go out of print (due to the ready availability of
> the Penguin Machen).

Yeah, I've got that one... I fancy getting Ritual someday...

Date: 19 May, 2013 01:14PM
Haven't gotten 'round to reading X yet--- too busy with assorted, endless errands. Recently received In Lovecraft's Shadow by August Derleth in the mail, so I have to read that too---

[www.derleth.org]

I thought this latter book would include ALL of Derleth's Lovecraftian works in one place, but I was incorrect; it only includes most of Derleth's MYTHOS stories; therefore, it has none of the Lovecraft "collaborations" (The Survivor and Others, The Lurker at the Threshold, some of The Watchers out of Time, etc.) Still, it is handsomely illustrated by Fabian----

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2013 03:44PM
Gavin Callaghan Wrote:
> Haven't gotten 'round to reading X yet--- too busy
> with assorted, endless errands. Recently received
> In Lovecraft's Shadow by August Derleth in the
> mail, so I have to read that too---
>
> [www.derleth.org]
>
> I thought this latter book would include ALL of
> Derleth's Lovecraftian works in one place, but I
> was incorrect; it only includes most of Derleth's
> MYTHOS stories; therefore, it has none of the
> Lovecraft "collaborations" (The Survivor and
> Others, The Lurker at the Threshold, some of The
> Watchers out of Time, etc.) Still, it is
> handsomely illustrated by Fabian----

Correct. All the posthumous collaborations "with" Lovecraft *ahem* were published separately, in The Watchers Out of Time and Others. Get the two, and you've got all Derleth's Lovecraftian fiction as such; though, if memory serves, there are Lovecraftian nods in a few of the Pons tales and elsewhere. Not plot elements, simply throwaway lines, as it were.

However, I'd advise reading In Lovecraft's Shadow a bit at a time, for his tendency to repeat the same patterns endlessly very shortly becomes quite tedious, and you might therefore miss some of the nice little concepts he has here and there. The stories aren't entirely without merit, but (save for frankly confessed fan fiction) they often rank as among the poorest Lovecraftian pieces I've ever encountered; though I will also say that his (to me) obvious tendency in later stories to consciously parody himself on this gives those tales an odd charm.

On the other hand, he could, when he chose create a rather good atmosphere, as in the opening pages of "The Dweller in Darkness", or (as mentioned above) include some fascinating concepts which deserved more exploration for their potential. But Derleth, when it came to such fiction, was as inveterate a mimic as Lin Carter ever could be, and this robs much of this work of its promise....

Date: 20 May, 2013 03:08PM
Yes. Derleth's stories have more of a nostalgic meaning for me, since it was his works that I first read as an eight year old; aside from "Dagon", which I read first and instantly loved, HPL's vocabulary was simply too much for the younger me to fathom. Derleth's works were a little bit like the "gateway drug" to the pure heroin that was H. P. Lovecraft.

I do like the way Derleth created what felt like a habitable Lovecraftian world. If you ignore the repetitiveness of his plots, etc., it's almost like he created an actual place where you could live for a while, inside one's mind...... I wish it was a real place!!

Date: 20 May, 2013 03:12PM
Plus, H. P. Lovecraft's PHOTOGRAPH on the back covers of the Ballantine paperbacks simply gave me the willies. I was a few years before I could overcome my fear of that pasty white visage and actually look inside the damn books!....

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2013 03:27PM
Gavin Callaghan Wrote:
> Plus, H. P. Lovecraft's PHOTOGRAPH on the back
> covers of the Ballantine paperbacks simply gave me
> the willies. I was a few years before I could
> overcome my fear of that pasty white visage and
> actually look inside the damn books!....

*chuckle* I know what you mean. I first discovered Lovecraft -- in heavy concentration -- via the old Ballantine Beagle editions (the "Arkham edition", of which I still remain inordinately fond), though between reading the two volumes of Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos and other Lovecraftian works in those, I also read the Arkham House At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels; hence was exposed to both the Mythos works, the more "Gothic" vein (Ward), and some of the more mature Dunsanian (and related) pieces... but I, too, remember how that photograph of HPL affected me. That particular picture simply makes him look like a writer of tales which can unhinge your mind.....

As for HPL's vocabulary... I am always reminded of that line from Bradbury's "Pillar of Fire": "fine, big-worded Lovecraft"... a description I encountered about seven years before I ever read a word by Lovecraft himself....

Date: 22 May, 2013 12:44AM
The English Assassin Wrote:
> Yeah, I've got that one... I fancy getting Ritual
> someday...

I've got it, and it's a great read, well worth picking up. I'm planning to pick up two of the Tartarus Machen books in a fortnight, as well as the volume of Mark Valentine's poetry. I correspond with Mark, and have seen one or two of his pieces, so I am excited about this.

Date: 22 May, 2013 04:03AM
phillipAellis Wrote:

> I've got it, and it's a great read, well worth
> picking up. I'm planning to pick up two of the
> Tartarus Machen books in a fortnight, as well as
> the volume of Mark Valentine's poetry. I
> correspond with Mark, and have seen one or two of
> his pieces, so I am excited about this.

I've not read MV's work yet, but I'm tempted to give him a try. I saw him speak at the Halifax Ghost Story Festival a couple ago on Machen and Walter de la Mare and he knows his stuff.

Date: 23 May, 2013 08:14PM
There is an online video floating around of Mark Valentine discussing his book collection. At one point he actually blows the dust from off a book, and at another he discusses his preference for the older editions of Machen.

I have corresponded with Mr Valentine, and I am hoping to interview him regarding his Star Kites, over the coming weeks. And I am looking forward to both receiving and reading the same. :)

Posted by: Draugen (IP Logged)
Date: 8 June, 2013 10:38AM
Although I've long owned most of Machen's fiction, I have never read his non fiction.. this edition of Far Off Things looks very good indeed, and a good place to start.

Regarding Mark Valentine, he is one of my favourite contemporary authors. Much of his work has been published by Ex Occidente, who produce excellent (although rather expensive) artisan books in limited runs. An affordable place to start would be Selected Stories which was recently published by Swan River Press, as well as the paperback of The Collected Connoisseur published by Tartarus. Star Kites wasn't really my cup of tea, but I still enjoyed it. For poetry, MV has a collection of prose poetry called At Dusk which was much more to my tastes, infact I thought it was outstanding.

Regarding Dream of X, I am also curious. Night Land was simultaneously a wonderful and excruciating experience. I am absolutely glad I read it though!

Posted by: Ken K. (IP Logged)
Date: 9 June, 2013 10:05PM
I completely agree with your assessment of The Night Land--re-reading it (which I finally managed to do after almost three decades!) was both difficult and rewarding. The very alien quality of his visions is staggering. As I read, I had to keep reminding myself that this entire journey takes place in varying shades of darkness--that there is no dawn or day. When the characters awake from their slumbers, it's still dark. It was surprisingly hard for me to keep this simple fact in mind.

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page