Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Crypt of Cthulhu #26 question
Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2004 12:41AM
Here's a longshot, but I bet somebody here owns a copy of Crypt of Cthulhu #26 (1984) in their collection. It's a special CAS issue. My question: what's in it? I would ask the seller, but I'd rather hear from one of you if the stuff within is worthwhile. I can get it for about $17, a lot of money, but if it's really good I might do it. Anybody care to comment? Thanks.

Re: Crypt of Cthulhu #26 question
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2004 01:43AM
There are two special Clark Ashton Smith issues of CRYPT. #26 has an excellent Allen Kozlowski cover illustrating "Mother of Toads." Contents are: "Clark Ashton Smith and his World of Fantasy" by Jean Marigny; "The Last Hieroglyphs" (on lost CAS stories) by Steve Behrends; "The Clark Ashton Smythos" by Will Murray; "An Annotated Chronology of Smith's Fiction" by Steve Behrends; "The Feaster from the Stars," a 'posthumous collaboration' by Lin Carter; "CAS & Divers Hands," on the cross-pollenization of ideas between CAS and fellow writers such as HPL and August Derleth, by Behrends; "The Price-Smith Collaborations" by Will Murray; "The History of Averoigne?", comparing Smith's imaginary province with the real Auvergne; and "Susran" by Lin Carter (alone this time). #27 is UNTOLD TALES by CAS, and contains a selection of unpublished stories, fragments, and synopses later collected in STRANGE SHADOWS. Incidentally, $17 is a decent price for either issue. Best, Scott

Date: 17 April, 2004 07:37PM
Thanks Scott! Sounds like a good issue. If only I had the money to not fret over $17 purchases... but I try to put things in perspective. I could buy the CAS poetry volume from Hippocampus with that $17 or I could buy (almost) one of the new Lovecraft Collected Essays. Or better yet I could buy a new shirt! Still debating it, thanks.

Roger

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2004 09:41PM
Go for THE LAST OBLIVION.
Incidentally, I have several copies of SLCAS available for sale at $36 plus $3.85 for priority mail postage. I will sign them, of course. First come, first serve! I take PayPal (bank transfer only, no credit cards) and personal checks/US postal money orders. Best, Scott

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2004 09:07AM
Dear Roger -

Take 50cents - go to the Salvation Army store - books are forever.
Whatever the cause for your present penury, my I suggest you purchase a
copy of "The wealthy barber" ($9 paperback), and follow its advice -
basically (textbook for Edward Jones co.), $1.00 a day in an equity
based mutual fund from age 18 to age 65 will provide an estate of about
$2.2 million - you can work for McDonald's your whole life bussing tables
and retire wealthy - this is basic stuff, but noone teaches it in school -
of course there is no reason to assume that school teachers or most
parents know squat about money - send me your address at remraf3@att.net
privately and I will send you a CAS book - enthusiam for the old master
such as yours deserves to be rewarded - I assume of course that you are
fairly young -
Enjoying myself immensely, I remain yours,
Dr. Farmer

Date: 18 April, 2004 10:14AM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear Roger -
>
> Take 50cents - go to the Salvation Army store -
> books are forever.
> Whatever the cause for your present penury, my I
> suggest you purchase a
> copy of "The wealthy barber" ($9 paperback), and
> follow its advice -
> basically (textbook for Edward Jones co.), $1.00 a
> day in an equity
> based mutual fund from age 18 to age 65 will
> provide an estate of about
> $2.2 million - you can work for McDonald's your
> whole life bussing tables
> and retire wealthy - this is basic stuff, but
> noone teaches it in school -
> of course there is no reason to assume that school
> teachers or most
> parents know squat about money - send me your
> address at remraf3@att.net
> privately and I will send you a CAS book -
> enthusiam for the old master
> such as yours deserves to be rewarded - I assume
> of course that you are
> fairly young -
> Enjoying myself immensely, I remain yours,
> Dr. Farmer

Dr. Farmer, you are too kind, and I'm probably not as young as I seem! I work in a struggling profession right now and for not a lot of pay. But I'm lucky enough to have my own apartment along with cable TV, computer, cable modem and a TON of books, movies and music. The only drawback of living alone is that ALL the bills are mine and after I write all those checks (today in fact), there won't be a lot of book-spending money left over.

So I'm not as bad off as the narrator of Hamsun's Hunger but I do need to pick and choose when it comes to book buying. The truth is, between my apartment and my mother's house, I have maybe a couple thousand books, the bulk of which I'm always trying to unload online. (Bookselling isn't an easy thing these days... too much competition.) But alas, I only have a few CAS titles.

The Wealthy Barber sounds interesting though I must admit I've never given any of these self-help/get rich books a read. I always figure the author is serving his own retire wealthy scheme by publishing the book. But I'll look out for The Barber. If I could recollect on my bar tabs over the past few years I think I might be able to afford the complete CAS in first edition! The barber should have a chapter on not drinking... that would be the first step to financial success!

I will email you my address (and age!) but I don't expect a book in return. As mentioned above, I'm not destitute, I'm just lacking much CAS! For now TALES OF ZOTHIQUE and THE BOOK OF HYPEBOREA are keeping me busy.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page