Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
CAS' illustrations for "The Lurking Fear"
Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2004 09:58PM
I know that CAS did some illustrations for HPL's "The Lurking Fear" when it first appeared in HOME BREW (and was later reprinted in facsimile by Necronomicon Press). I can't find any of these online. How many illustrations did he do? And might somebody send them to Boyd so he can post them on this site? I'm very curious to see them.

Roger

Re: CAS' illustrations for "The Lurking Fear"
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2004 11:11PM
There are a total of eight drawings used in the HOME BREW printing of "The Lurking Fear," although he did one other, "Gryphon Gazing Upon the Gulf," which is now in private hands. I'll try to scan the HB illos for Boyd. A couple of them were included in HPL's THE DARK BROTHERHOOD (Arkham House, 1966) as illos for John Vetter's article on HPL's illustrators. I may include these in an article on CAS' artwork in LOST WORLDS.
Best, Scott

Posted by: Ludde (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2005 06:24AM
Will these be posted?

Date: 19 January, 2005 02:08PM
Ludde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will these be posted?

Thanks for the reminder, I'll try to scan the published drawings this week. I can't post "Gryphon Gazing Upon the Gulf," though, without the owner's permission, and anyway I really want to include that one in my Smith biography or LOST WORLDS.
Best,
Scott

Date: 19 January, 2005 02:28PM
"Gryphon Gazing Upon the Gulf". What is that?? Is it from The Lurking Fear, or is it a separate "griffin" illustration? There is a Gifford and a Gerrit in the story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19 Jan 05 | 02:30PM by Ludde.

Date: 26 January, 2005 05:44AM
To answer my own question:

Taken from As I Remember Klarkash-Ton by George F. Haas.

"Gryphon Gazing On the Gulf. A pen-and-ink drawing to illustrate Lovecraft's "Lurking Fear" in Home Brew in 1923. Depicts a gryphon with outspread wings gazing into a deep gulf with lightning striking from a huge black cloud. 4½" X 8¾". This is one of a set done by Klarkash-Ton and is one of the drawings not used. Lovecraft himself saw this drawing and liked it. In a letter to Klarkash-Ton of March 25, 1923, he said: "And the 'Lurking Fear' illustrations! I have already told you how the gryphon gazing on the gulf impressed me ."

And here is a sonnet:

Clark Ashton Smith

Empress with eyes more sad and aureate
Than sunset ebbing on a summer coast,
What gold chimera lovest thou the most--
What gryphon with emblazoned wings elate,
Or dragon straying from the dim estate
Of kings that sway the continents uttermost
Of old Saturnus? Or what god, or ghost,
Or spacial demon for thy spirit's mate
Art fain to choose? Howbeit, in thy heart,
Though void as now to vision and desire
The days and years deny thee, shall abide
The passion of the impossible, the pride
Of lust immortal for the monstrous ire
And pain of love in scarlet worlds apart.

Date: 27 February, 2006 01:34PM
19 April, 2004 12:11AM
Quote Scott Connors: "There are a total of eight drawings used in the HOME BREW printing of "The Lurking Fear," I'll try to scan the HB illos for Boyd."

19 January, 2005 03:08PM
Quote Scott Connors: "Thanks for the reminder, I'll try to scan the published drawings this week."

Will these actually be posted? Or have you, honestly, decided to hold onto them for other use?

Date: 27 February, 2006 06:38PM
The problem is that my scanner is kaput, so I have no way of posting them at the present time. However, once I get a new scanner, and make a dent in the huge backlog of work that built up while I was curled into a fetal position during my recent depressive episode, I still intend to post them. Of course, I'm not the only person out there with a copy of either the Necronomicon Press LURKING FEAR or of THE DARK BROTHERHOOD, feel free, guys! :)

Scott

Date: 28 February, 2006 01:48PM
In that case I can see that the obstacle to posting is much more complex than just a broken scanner. Sorry to hear about that. Deep depressions are difficult to handle, and can make a mess of outside cares. With much inner work and long patience it is possible to steer out of it and get back on track.

Still, I don't suppose that the scanner was broken since April 2004. There is some strange air about the quick promisses you so easily have tossed forward recurrent times, and that so far disappointingly have shown to be empty. Like you said them without real intention. And time doesn't really seem to be an issue here, with the amount of it you have for posting on The Eldritch Dark. You have no obligation to scan these drawings; But I am a person of very strong principle, I always quickly do what I promise others (even if I am deeply depressed I don't make promisses I can't keep), and I have the same high expectation of others. I am allergic to draggling promises. That's how I am. Stern and conscientious. You may have a more relaxed laid-back attitude in such matters.

When the comment below was posted I had a strong feeling it somehow was a case of projection, and I still wonder;

28 November, 2004 09:49PM
Scott wrote:
Quote: "...there is a particular class of collector for whom I have nothing but scorn. This is the troll who refuses to make his treasures available to other interested parties."

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 3 March, 2006 08:30PM
I wouldn't consider Scott akin to one such troll. He has been more than helpful to me, and I am acutely aware how one's ill health can impact upon one's life and promises. I always accept Scott's word; he has been nothing less than a friend, a gentleman and a scholar.

If anything, I have advised him on occasion in the past to take things easy and not to overstrain himself with the amount of work he commits himself to on top of his demanding and fulltime job.

Hope you don't mind me making my feelings known, Scott.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 3 March, 2006 09:16PM
I agree with everything Phillip has written. The scorn poured by Ludde onto Scott's head was uncalled for.

Let me understand how this works: while working full time in the healthcare field, editing the journal LOST WORLDS, an issue of STUDIES IN WEIRD FICTION, and the essay collections A CENTURY LESS A DREAM and THE FREEDOM OF FANTASTIC THINGS; co-editing Smith's SELECTED LETTERS, a volume of Smith's SF tales, and Smith's complete fiction in the first accurate texts most of us will have ever seen; writing multiple articles for encyclopedias and magazines; writing a column for WEIRD TALES; writing the full-length Clark Ashton Smith biography; and assisting numerous people with their Smith and related projects Scott just happened to delay scanning a few illustrations he promised a few years ago.

So what?

He is a man of his word, and will get to it eventually; but with all of these things on his plate he just might have larger priorities - such as an occasional good night's sleep, I would warrant - that get in the way of his doing it.

No one has any right or just cause to confront him about such a petty matter in this accusatory manner. I doubt Scott will ask for an apology, but I think he deserves one.

Jim

Date: 3 March, 2006 10:28PM
Well, I am working this over in my head. I don't know if I should apologize or not.

Here is just a detail question (not completely decisive to my own view of my delivered hard criticism). I don't have a scanner; Is it a working effort to take a booklet from the shelf and scan a few pictures? I imagine not. It seems more like a pasttime dallying. Does it take more time than writing a post here?

Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 4 March, 2006 12:39AM
Ludde,

I can share your enthusiam for the pictures, but considering Scott's history here he doesn't owe us or you anything.

And regarding your question, it depends on how big the pictures are from the book. I have been scanning several books lately for my thesis and some are oversized and take an hour or two of editing to get them in the correct format. Minor details like this are a pain in the ass when you have larger and better things to be doing.

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 4 March, 2006 01:07AM
Scott, Ludde is very alone here in his attitude. I started this thread, it was merely a question, and I know I will see these pieces eventually here or elsewhere and it isn't something I spend much time thinking about!

Scott is a hero to all CAS fans thanks to his many efforts past and present. I don't understand Ludde's angry rant, but you run into this type of person now and then as we know.

Roger

Date: 4 March, 2006 02:29AM
I thank all of you who spoke up for me. I didn't want to say anything myself, since if I've learned anything from the conduct of a certain individual on another list (Jim knows of whom I write) is not to respond to such remarks. I still intend to make those drawings available when I get a new scanner, or maybe I'll lend my copy of the NP LURKING FEAR to someone nearby with a scanner who can do them. In the meantime I thank all of you for your patience.

Scott

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page