Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: CAS' illustrations for "The Lurking Fear"
Posted by: Ludde (IP Logged)
Date: 4 March, 2006 05:17AM
Since after some consideration I think that my criticism of Scott may have been inappropriately put, and since this has become an infected issue, drawing others in, I will do what I can to amend it. Furthermore I have no desire to be around here on this fine website as a cause of nuisance to a major number of individuals.

First let me try to explain some of my emotional investment in this. I have for several years much wanted to see these pictures especially. The Lurking Fear is one of my most favorite Lovecraft stories, and I have been very curious about Smith's interpretations. And when Scott said he would send them over, I became happy as a dog running round in circles. When nothing came of it I became disappointed. Then after a year, when Scott again said he would send them over within a week, I became equally happy again, getting myself all excited and ready for those "blasphemies" appearing before my eyes. I waited and waited, checking the the Art section over and over. This time I became even more dissapointed, and annoyed.
Now, I may have overreacted emotionally, and the cause of this probably lies in dissapointments of close ones in my early life. It is a reactive side that is largely unconscious, stirred up when others dissapoint, and which I have little control over. I am sorry that this side of me was drawn into this forum, and that it was directed on you Scott. Compare it to a waft of Namirrha if you will.

If it is as complicated to scan as NightHalo decribes then I can better understand a delay. I had the impression that it was easier, simply laying down the picture on the screen and sending over like a fax, and that it was not done simply because of "not feeling up to it" or forgetting. Then I was wrong about that cause.

I have learned through my experience and studies of psychology that when you feel strong contempt or hatred towards individuals with certain character traits, it is usually because they reflect the same or a similar weakness in yourself. This is why I, in this context, wondered about the remark about troll. (And yes, my own annoyance may reflect similar weaknesses in myself, although these only come to form in other more private areas.)

I don't know Scott as person. It is impossible to do through a forum. The mind, and the intentions behind our actions, is a complex thing, and I can't for certain fully see and tell those of another person. I had a hunch. But I couldn't prove, and I couldn't know for certain. Therefore, in retrospect, I think I did wrong to formulate those accusations. I think it would have been OK to have approached it differently, and to have put forth my wonderings as more gentle questions. Since Scott presents himself through his real name and person on this forum, it is extra important to be mindful of what one says, lest loosely grounded accusations without proof hurt the person's reputation. Therefore also I think it was wrong of me to fire those accusations. Sorry Scott.

I have said all I can say. I will not get into further arguments over this.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 4 March, 2006 08:03PM
Ludde,
Send me your address off list and I will make you photocopies of the illustrations. I warn you that they are somewhat crude, and may be a bit of a disappointment. If you can scan them and post them on the site, I would be grateful.
Best wishes,
Scott

Posted by: Ludde (IP Logged)
Date: 4 March, 2006 10:50PM
Thank you for your offer! :)

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 6 March, 2006 12:22PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ludde,
> Send me your address off list and I will make
> you photocopies of the illustrations. I warn you
> that they are somewhat crude, and may be a bit of
> a disappointment. If you can scan them and post
> them on the site, I would be grateful.
> Best wishes,
> Scott

Since I think Ludde said earlier that he doesn't have a scanner, I could volunteer to scan the images for inclusion at the site if he, say, later forwards the photocopies to me. (I scanned and OCR'd the Weird Tales version of "The Quest Of The Gazolba" a few years back that Ron Hilger graciously copied to me.) Give me hint if there's a need for this.

Juha-Matti Rajala

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page