Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Weirdcon '92: The Soundtrack
Posted by: mlaidlaw (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2004 01:34AM
Here's an obscure one, designed to lure Dennis Rickard out of the woodwork.

In the early 90's I attended a Weirdcon at Dennis's house, and in the evening gave a reading of a story of mine called "Nether Reaches." Dennis arranged an astonishingly apt soundtrack for the reading, about which I remember very little other than that it was an extended violin solo and exceedingly eerie. The story was almost entirely a journey through subterranean depths, and the soundtrack was a perfect match. I seem to recall the CD was black with a labyrinthine spiral on the cover. Every now and then I make a half-hearted attempt to figure out what the heck it was so I can procure a copy.

So consider this the latest half-hearted attempt.

If anyone is in touch with Dennis, perhaps you could point him at this forum entry.

Thanks in advance.

-Marc Laidlaw

Re: Weirdcon '92: The Soundtrack
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2004 05:05AM
Dennis recently remarried and is in the process of moving to--(cue ominous music)--Fresno. I'll try to forward this to him. We're still doing WeirdCons around here, fyi.
Best, Scott

Date: 23 April, 2004 12:09PM
...shudder...Fresno...

Date: 24 April, 2004 01:16AM
Just heard from Dennis. The CD was P. Giger, Chartres, especially the "Crypt" tracks. Excellent stuff. Still available from Amazon. Add to cart!

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2004 10:41AM
Glad you've made contact with Dennis, though I know what you mean about Fresno. I've been known to affectionately refer to this town as "The armpit of California." I understand Dennis and Barb are in the process of building a home up in the foothills east of town, which should be pretty nice.

Posted by: gavinicuss (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2004 12:21AM
To Marc Laidlaw:

I wonder if the CD you mention might be John Williams soundtrack for The Eiger Sanction, since that is the only thing Amazon responds with when prompted for P. Giger, Chartres in music? Is there any way to be more specific when we look for that work? Is it all for solo violin or just part of it?

Posted by: gavinicuss (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2004 12:28AM
Dear Mr. Laidlaw,

I posted in frustration way too soon, having now made my way to a work called Labyrinthos, Schattenwelt, by P. Giger, and guess that I am hot on the trail of Chartres now. Shame on me for giving up so soon!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page