Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Stories by ...
Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 8 December, 2018 03:49PM
This is one OLD thread that's been revived. I find myself disagreeing with some statement someone made, get ready to post some retort, and then, on second look, find the statement was made years ago.

I have yet to read everything by Le Fanu. One story that rather impressed me, which I don't see mentioned above, was "... Strange Disturbances in Aungier Street". I think what I found particularly memorable was the horrible rat. I guess some might find this story unsatisfying for the lack of any real resolution, but to me that is merely typical of real-world ghost stories, and gives it an aura of authenticity.

I think "... Aungier Street" almost certainly inspired Bram Stoker's story "The Judge's House", which isn't bad, and offers more in the way of resolution.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 8 Dec 18 | 03:50PM by Platypus.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 9 December, 2018 03:38AM
Platypus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is one OLD thread that's been revived. I
> find myself disagreeing with some statement
> someone made, get ready to post some retort, and
> then, on second look, find the statement was made
> years ago.
>

I revived that thread intentionally because I thought it had interesting information. There was a lot more activity on the Eldritch Dark forum back then. The golden age of this forum was during the first decade of the 2000s; many generous contributions, and long discussions. Calonlan (Dr. Farmer), Kyberean (later Absquatch), even Sawfish was here for a condensed but energetic visit (good to see you back), and several other prominent posters. Most have left the forum.

Some complain that the forum is not worth visiting anymore because of Dr. Farmers demise. I certainly don't sympathize with that simplistic apology for not contributing. Everything can not stand or fall depending on him alone. Dr. Farmer was a professor of English, an excellent linguistic conversationalist, and told very interesting reminiscences of his meetings with Clark Ashton Smith. But he really didn't seem to understand much about the weird and fantastic as a subject.
I see other reasons for the reduced activity on the forum. One is perhaps information overstrain, as a result of the Internet times we live in. We have grown mentally exhausted. Also, most of CAS's readership is likely part of an older generation.
Another reason seems to be the structure of the forum itself; there are no sub-forums for different subjects and interests where one can tuck in a concern (for example discussing other writers), so whatever little thought one writes instead gets center-focus of attention, for everyone to see, and I believe that makes many feel diffident about posting. Me, I am not so much affected by it (although some), because I am the kind who just can't help blurting out what's on my mind.
Yet another explanation for the lessening activity may perhaps be found, if one is so inclined, in Smith's own writing, in stories like "The Chain of Aforgomon" and "The Monster of the Prophecy", where he expressed anxiety over his writing "supernaturally" drifting into oblivion.

Much valuable information can be found if searching the forum. Here is another great old thread, "Less Familiar Weird Literature", which lasted for 33 pages:
http://www.eldritchdark.com/forum/read.php?1,4212,page=1

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2018 11:02PM
Here is another great thread, in which notably jdworth argues Lovecraft's artistic ability and his cosmic horror. So many good things buried in the Eldritch Dark archives! There are innumerable threads in great spirit, than can be re-opened and continued. No need to start new threads before carefully checking back.

http://www.eldritchdark.com/forum/read.php?1,9578,10162#msg-10162

Back to Stories by ..., I could recommend Ligotti. I haven't yet read much by him. A few stories I find too immersed in self-pity and misery, too emotionally stuck in ugly mundane life, for my taste. But "Drink to Me Only with Labyrinthine Eyes" and "Nethescurial" are excellent, they rise in ecstasy and intensity, richly imaginative. Classics. I look forward to reading more.

Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2018 08:24AM
@Knygatin. Thanks for the links.

Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2018 11:41AM
Posts like yours are why I am on this forum, in truth.

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goto Page: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page