Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Best American English dialect?
Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2010 04:33PM
I know this is a matter of subjective taste. But still I ask the question:

Which is the "best" American English dialect?

Sometimes when I read aloud to myself, I can't resist fall into the drawling rythm of Southern speech. It feels sloppy or affected, but still irresistible. Other times, depending on the author and if it comes natural, I read in English English, because the words seem to come out more clearly defined that way.

Is there a special dialect for New England? I know there is for Boston, and New York City, since I have been there. What about California? Does the North differ from Middle, and South California?

Is there such a thing as a "neutral" American dialect, or "National" American dialect?

I can't stand the "exaggerated" kind of American so often heard on mass entertainment commercial TV-shows. It sounds cheap and uneducated.

I wonder what Lovercaft's dialect sounded like. And Smith's?

Re: Best American English dialect?
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2010 06:05PM
Knygatin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this is a matter of subjective taste. But
> still I ask the question:
>
> Which is the "best" American English dialect?
>

Why, whichever one someone speaks, of course!

Scott

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2010 09:25PM
There are purists in all areas of research - the issue is whether one is understood or not - many dialects are nearly incomprehensible - there are in fact in excess of 434 dialects in American English - in my youth and young scholarship, (as well as acting experience) I made a point of mastering 46 - Clark spoke a refined English, with great clarity, a mixture no doubt of the British of his Dad, and the Southern Belle of his Mom - he did not make the common California error of making words rhyme that don't - example - I got caught in a cot by the law - in many areas of the Western US, got, caught, cot, and law are made to rhyme - ie law is "lah", caught and cot sound exactly alike - if you think of the Southern version of "awe" (as in "aww schucks") and back it off a little, you get a more standardized sound - For myself, if you listen to the Saturday Opera, and listen to the between the act interviews with American stars, you will hear a blending from a person who does Italian, French, German, and Russian really well, and the English that results is elegant, clear, and each syllable receives its correct tonal resonance and placement - if one analyzes the pronunciation of "b","p" - "T" and "d", noting the pressure on the lips and the placement of the tongue, then experiment with changing the pressure and placement - it becomes easy to see how dialectal differences occur - Leontine Price, the great black soprano (and an old acquaintance from the early days), spoke beautifully, but she could easily slip into the black southern dialect of her Baptist church (cheuch) childhood. Southern itself is divided regionally and economically state by state - parts of Georgia are completely incoherent - as are parts of Pennsylvania - Chicahgo - New Yawk, - Noo Joisee - Poetry written in dialect should be read in dialect - I remember Derrick reading Sword of Zagan as if he were an Arab - hilarious, but pretty good - and apropos - I don't mind how people sound most of the time, if the english is reasonably good, grammatically correct (unless that would offend the company present), and meanings are clear - When I first moved to the Texas Coast, a good many people were difficult to understand until I realized they were dropping volume in unexpected places, and blending sounds in ways which were entirely colloquial to this area - interestingly, the pronunciation common among even 5th generation hispanics retains the tincture of "Mexican" - except for the college educated - All the Indian (hindi/sikh) motel operators have clear native accents - few have cultivated standard speech - My college roommate was from a highly placed Sikh family, and had spent his life listening to the BBC and spoke as if he had the Elgin Marbles in his mouth - not a hint of hindi accent, and indeed, could not do it on purpose - yet he could not pronounce the letter "V" - it came out "fwee" under his best effort - I made him practice for hours saying "Vicks Vaporub" = he never got it - As to Lovecraft - I have no idea really, but the odds are on that he had that flat "Peppridge Fahms" accent - might be fun to recite something of his in that accent and see how it affects mood - Clark particularly admired the reading voice of Dylan Thomas, and we occasionally made fun of T.S. Eliot, we had recordings of his "Saturday Broadcast" from the days of WWII - thin, reedy, and frightfully high-church anglo catholic (that means the word "spirit" is pronounced with two "d's" -- as in the "Wholey spiddit" - fun

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2010 03:53PM
Scott's standpoint of acceptance and tolerance of differences, is commendable of course. Still, I wonder if some dialects don't reflect cultural, social, and intellectual decadence, and that these groups would've done well to straighten up and make an effort to be more clear in their expression, if it was socially possible.

Calonlan wrote: "I don't mind how people sound most of the time, if the english is reasonably good, grammatically correct (unless that would offend the company present), and meanings are clear -" That is sound. I agree.

Lots of interesting material in Calonlan's post.

In Sweden there are clear dialect differences between the north, south, east, and western part of the country. As well as inbetween individual smaller geographical areas. There is also a "neutral" dialect, called "National" or "State" Swedish, which is clear and well articulated, and is generally spoken by socially high and well bred individuals.
I believe language and dialect is a reflection of cultural lifestyle and geographical environment, and is shaped by it —— a simplified example could be that a harsh, hard life, like the fisherman's, makes the dialect drag and roll, like the sea. And subdued by the cold, whipping rains and winds over the body. Intellectually attenuated, the language serves its purpose, and meets the immediate practical needs of the lifestyle. Cultural heritage, along with geographical environment, together shapes the form of the dialect. Language and dialect perhaps also takes on a life of its own, an energy force that pulls individuals towards certain destinies.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2010 04:23PM
Notice how Lewis and Tolkien treat "dwarf" language as opposed to Elfin - notable for Lewis in the space trilogy - just as a side note, I have collected some amazing "folk" humor from dialect speakers over the years - most of which spoken in the local dialect are almost impossible to understand - but one deciphered are often real side-splitters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page