Date: 13 September, 2004 04:17PM
notallwhowander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I see, it looks as though I took too broad of an
> approach to your original inquiry. Strict
> causality wasn't my concern, but rather to share
> the things I've found that are most resonant with
> what I like in CAS. Its a purely subjective
> approach. My apologies for being extraneous.
>
There's nothing to apologise; you were pertinent, and answered my original question... to whom has CAS led you to read... most satisfyingly indeed. I was curious, merely or no, as to what the links between them were or no. In my case, Sterling, is linked by history shared between them, and by Sterling's poetic influences. I'd like to read Lilith Lorraine because she, like CAS, writes cosmic poetry, and so on... there is some link, causal or no, that unites who I have read from CAS, and who I would like to.

Your approach is as valid as mine, hence I wished to understand it more. I like people I want to understand more, btw.

Phillip

Re: Further reading
Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2004 05:52PM
Quote:
I wasn't comparing style, but rather quality within their respective styles.

Thanks for the clarification. I suppose that I should've been clearer, myself. What I really meant to write is that even to speak of them in the same sentence in that way strikes me as being a little misleading, since, again, it implies--at least to me--a closer relationship betweeen the two mens' writing than actually exists. It's certainly not a major point, though.

As for matters of taste, I'm afraid I differ as to the equivalence in evocation of weirdness, and the quality thereof, between Dunsany and CAS. Again, a minor point, and strictly a matter of taste and opinion, but--and may Lovecraft forgive me--I have always found Dunsany's writing for the most part to be quite dull and uninvolving.

Now, to make a comment that's actually directly pertinent to the the thread. Lol. Ashton Smith really hasn't led me to read many writers whose works were previously unknown to me. The two that come most readily to mind are George Sterling (an experience that many share, I'm sure) and Lafcadio Hearn. Not the Hearn of Kwaidan, but rather the Hearn of the Fantastics, and the translator of Gautier.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2004 02:51PM
Interesting that CAS liked McDonald's work, because he repeatedly said that he had no use for mysteries. Then again, McDonald's stuff is hardly your common whodunit.
Best,
Scott

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2004 10:42AM
Am writing to correct a momentary lapse (senior moment no doubt),
The fantasist Clark admired was George Macdonald, not John.
Lilith, Phantastes et al.
Dr. F

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2004 05:51PM
Dr. F.,

such miniscule lapses are a fact of life for me, so I doubt we can blame it on a senior moment; may I suggest the excitement of discourse as an alternative?

P

Date: 4 October, 2004 06:36PM

Dear Phillip,

No, excitement of discourse, is not the cause, just plain old Senior moment - I find that discourse conducted in person, toe to toe as it were, sharpens and focuses my mind as I rummage through its musty archives, whereas long-distance and often experiencing delays in communication takes the edge off, thus bringing ever more frequent examples of "intellectus interruptus". (sorry)

At present, two of my friends, neither with any great or recent experience in academia, have plunged into the permanent Diaconate program of the Roman diocese here, and are slogging through Scholasticism - Anselm to Abelard with heavy gravy of Aquinas -
Thus in turoring these good men, and finding ways to simplify the
complexities of philosophical thought keeps the brain moving well,
resuurecting information I have not accessed for more than 35 years.
Great fun!
I am also digging in my library to uncover the Stan Lee Conans using
Ashton's tales - more to follow I hope.
much affectio to all
Dr. F
PS - please invoke whatever daemons you trust on my behalf on Nov. 15th as I will be having my 32 heart biopsy and catheterization -
a regular event - If you recall the sections of Mad Magazine entitled, "The Shadow Knows" - my mind says that this is routine, and something I have survived many times - my shadow is running in terror as my body screams not to be cut into yet again. Ah well -
as Don Fryer's T-shirt says: "What would Cthulhu do?"

Date: 5 October, 2004 05:00PM
Dear Unkie F,

What would Cthulhu do? Doi some ravening, some blasphemous nauseating, and send a few people insane; can you do the same?

Here's hoping all the best for your regular biopsy; I hope all looks rosy for you.

I would like to know what you think of my compatriots' submissions in this month's updates. I'm sure your keen sense of aesthetics would be welcome.

I'm a bit distracted, as I work on an essay for a book. I'm going to get it finished, hopefully, by the end of the month, but at the moment it takes time and attention away from other, more delightful tasks.

I've also an election coming up on saturday: Australia goes to the polls, and decides its next leader. How far did CAS' political views affect his determination or otherwise to vote, and participate in the political circus?

Ciao!

P

Date: 6 October, 2004 02:44PM
I know of no interest of his in participating in the political process -- the whole business was just outside his realm of interest other than a general and complete distrust in the whole affair, leading, I think, to a snarling indifference.
What I have had the opportunity to read so far seems quite good indeed - I would not venture a detailed critique in a public forum, however, if these folk should care to write, I would be happy to respond. Thanks for your concern -- as to wwcd as opposed to the popular T-shirt, wwjd, I shall probably go like a lamb to the slaughter, yet am prepared to wreak a heavy vengeance on any
malfeasance -- they nearly lost me 2 years ago - a berserker would cower before my rage unleashed - I am kidding of course, yet those of us who have known battle are never sure when the beast may be loosed - it is far better to save that level of energy for the greater pleasures of the nocturnal bower,n'est pas?

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 6 October, 2004 03:51PM
Quote:
I know of no interest of his in participating in the political process -- the whole business was just outside his realm of interest other than a general and complete distrust in the whole affair, leading, I think, to a snarling indifference.

I suspected as much, but my already extremely high opinion of CAS's wisdom has received further confirmation. As one who shares CAS's indifference to the entire circus, I recall here with pleasure the old chestnut of wisdom: "Don't vote; it only encourages them".

Date: 6 October, 2004 04:14PM
Dear Dr. F,

I wonder then how CAS would react to Australia's voting -- it's compulsory here, and all you have to do if you don't vote is do a donkey vote, ie. write something on the ballot other than the requisite numbers, or vote everyone last, put zero in every box, etc. etc. etc.... in short do anything but what you're supposed to do.

I always number every box, so I wish I saw the poor sod's face who had to look at my paper, the time when the state election had a paper almost bigger than a table, there were so many candidates. (Every number has to be counted, btw.)

I still find the concept of voluntary voting alien and bizarre, though....

ciao!

P

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page