Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
John Shirley, Hippocampus author (and more) saying hello
Posted by: John Shirley (IP Logged)
Date: 16 June, 2021 05:56PM
Hi. Just wanted to see what was going on here and introduce myself. Also I want to baldly and blatantly mention that my novel A SORCERER IN ATLANTIS, which has Lovecraftian and CAS elements, has just come out from Hippocampus. It's actually a full sword-and-sorcery/fantasy novel about Atlantis and the volume also includes a new novella, A PRince in the Kingdom of Ghosts. Which is literally about a prince in the kingdom of ghosts. Both tales are influenced by Fritz Leiber's fantasy, Jack Vance's, Clark Ashton Smith, HPL, and Robert E. Howard. Most of my books have been science-fiction (my newest one, you might've seen reviewed in Publisher's Weekly or Locus, is Stormland), or horror. Demons is a pretty well known horror novel by me. Cellars was just reissued in a new special edition, already sold out...I had books out from Cemetery Dance back in the day...my story collection Black Butterflies won the Bram Stoker Award from the HWA)...but I always wanted to return to the kinds of stories I read when I was quite young, fantasy by Leiber and Vance and REH and HPL and CAS...so finally I developed A SORCERER IN ATLANTIS. You might have seen some of it--a little over half--in an earlier, not as refined version in the Weirdbook Magazine "John Shirley issue". The novel has been completed now and the original material in Weirdbook revised.

Hippocampus also brought out my Lovecraftian story collection, "LOVECRAFT ALIVE!" (complete with exclamation point, yes). Many of the stories appeared in various Lovecraftian anthologies and in the relaunched Weird Tales Magazine.

Here's a link to check out the cover for A Sorcerer in Atlantis (art by Dan Sauer). No one can say it's not a vividly colorful cover. A Sorcerer in Atlantis at Hippocampus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16 Jun 21 | 06:08PM by John Shirley.

Re: John Shirley, Hippocampus author (and more) saying hello
Date: 17 June, 2021 01:31PM
Crickets, eh? Oh well.

Date: 18 June, 2021 12:45AM
OK well I'll be at Necronomicon, probably, in 2022 so if you're there, feel free to say hello.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2021 07:01AM
"Crickets"?! You come barging in, holding monologues, impatiently pretending to participate, while barking harangues to promote yourself and your publisher. Pretentiously comparing yourself to the old Masters, as a selling argument. And then expect people to respond with enthusiasm ... . Give us a break. How about something real instead, like humbly giving us a few paragraphs from your book. I have already read some of it at Amazon, but will withhold my thoughts. Others can appraise its quality for themselves.

Live and learn, live and learn.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2021 02:15PM
A Sorcerer of Atlantis is next on my "To Buy" list, along with Sidney-Fryer's latest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page