Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
OT: How to scale beneficial social interactions
Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2021 10:43AM
For a long time I've whined about how I view the most meaningful way to help my fellow humans. I've raised this as an issue because to me; in these current times; there is a lot of public sentiment that somehow we *owe* virtually unlimited assistance; sympathy; what-have-you; to the Brotherhood of Man; without condition or exception.

Apparently.

And for many; this absorbs valuable personal time that in my opinion might have otherwise been used to better one's own position and that of one's family or could have helped known friends and associates. Today a very clear example of how this works came up and I'd like to describe it.

One of my daughter's college room-mate's youngest brother is starting college this fall. The university he will attend is about 5 miles from our house; but his family is from the Bay Area; ~600 miles to the south.

In short; we can offer to be a sort of "emergency parent/resource" for this known family who was kind and generous to our daughter when she worked in the Bay Area. We know where everything is in PDX (they are not familiar with the city) and can always help out. This will give the parents a bit of piece of mind; and from my end; if called upon by circumstance I will good a decent; thorough job in every way I can.

So *this* is where I spend my altruistic energies; and I can a) see that it works; and b) do a superior job of it.

Contrast this with those who attempt to give solace to the homeless in PDX. They seldom have direct contact with those whom they wish to help and have no idea if what they do (give verbals support; time; and some money) is effective in anything but the short term. And rather than reducing the numbers of homeless; there is some reason to believe that they encourage the growth of this segment; acting as enablers.

Now; I can find any number of such vague humanitarian "needs" that seek my time and energy; but I seldom see anything like success or progress in a way that's recognizable to me. In fact; it looks to me like either no progress is made; or the problem worsens. Not so when I direct my efforts to helping; in some way; known associates. Almost every time it makes a positive difference: a very small portion of the world is a better place.

I'd suggest that if people focused their energies more effectively on situations closer to their sphere of influence; rather than allow their emotions to be manipulated from afar; perhaps the entire society would be somewhat better off.

But I see little likelihood of this happening.

Anyway; that's how I see it.

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page