Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Dream Of X by WH Hodgson
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2021 01:32PM
Hello.

Can anybody describe what is the difference between “The Night Land“ and “The Dream Of X“? (the latter being the abridged version of the first book, judging by what I have read about it)

Re: The Dream Of X by WH Hodgson
Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2021 09:13PM
It is about 88% shorter. It is a very-stripped down abridgment, "published" on the cheap in the for the purpose of obtaining U.S. copyright protection. Probably, it was never intended by Hodgson to be distributed beyond the bare minimum necessary to have been considered legally "published" under U.S. copyright law.

A preface explains it's fragmentary nature, by saying it is what remains of the original manuscript after the author's estate burnt down, pieced together by its editor. Chapter 1 is skipped entirely (this is maybe not much of a loss). Occasional footnotes explain gaps in the narrative. Once in the Night Land, entire episodes and monster-encounters are skipped without comment, and most of the topography of the journey is ignored. For instance, he passes though the Gorge is less than a paragraph, without encountering any slug-monsters, without having to hide in caves to sleep, etc. The protagonist seems to get to the Lesser Redoubt, and back, with very little time and trouble, until the very end. The Night Land itself gets very short shrift. I only skimmed through it, but as I see it, the best parts are missing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11 Dec 21 | 09:33PM by Platypus.

Re: The Dream Of X by WH Hodgson
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 18 December, 2021 04:19PM
Thnk you very much for your answer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page