Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Is Averoigne based on Brocéliande?
Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 9 March, 2022 03:27PM
While looking at the Wikipedia entry on Merlin, I learned of his connection to a forest called Brocéliande, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broc%C3%A9liande) which is thought by some to an actual forest, Paimpont forest, located in Brittany.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Does anyone know if CAS may have been familiar with this forest, connected to Arthurian legend?

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."

Re: Is Averoigne based on Brocéliande?
Posted by: Hespire (IP Logged)
Date: 9 March, 2022 03:44PM
He most certainly was. His notes in the Black Book contain an unpublished and incomplete poem about Merlin and Broceliande:

Quote:
[186] Broceliande
As a child. I wandered beside a fen Where the sunset, falling through cloudless air. ((Stained)) Stained with scarlet the still and sedgy pools. There I entered a silent evening wood (Knowing not that ((it was)) the wood was Broceliande.) Then, in the twilight of / great oaks, a voice that I / heard and yet heard not / seemed to dictate un- / known words, and I, / constrained by some weird / power, repeated them aloud. .... In the same sunset (or / was it haply in another?) / I came forth again from / the wood beside the / fenland where the / ((pools)) tarns and ponds were still crimson / with a ((the))
flaring
afterglowing. / And peering into a / pool, I saw not the / face of a child neglected, / but the hoar and / many-wrinkled visage of / the ancient warlock Merlin!

Also, he mentioned Merlin in his Averoignian story "The Colossus of Ylourgne":

Quote:
People said that he was fiend-begotten, like the fabled Merlin: his father being no less a personage than Alastor, demon of revenge; and his mother a deformed and dwarfish sorceress.

Re: Is Averoigne based on Brocéliande?
Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 9 March, 2022 03:52PM
Terrific, Hespire!

Thanks! This is why I post here.

--Sawfish

"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page