Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Recommendations
Date: 12 April, 2024 10:11PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a fan of Weird fiction such as CAS, Lovecraft, Derleth etc. but also Decadent/Symbolist - Huysmans, Baudelaire (I know CAS translated him) Leon Bloy and also Renaissance English poetry Joshua Sylvester, Sir Thomas Urquhart (translator of Rabelais) ?

Re: Recommendations
Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2024 03:02PM
You might enjoy the 17th-century authors I mentioned in a reply to your reply about Machen and Sir Thomas Browne, though the things I cited aren't fiction and aren't decadent.

You've read M. R. James's Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, and not just the familiar Machen stories of the 1890s but some late work such as "N" (one of my favorites)?

G

Date: 13 April, 2024 05:45PM
I read Ghost Stories of an Antiquary years ago and really enjoyed it. I've read most of the classic Machen stories, although I have the novel The Hill of Dreams lying unfinished. Hadn't heard of "N" will certainly look into it. Also relating to my Rabelais recommendation Machen wrote a book entitled Fantastic Tales, or, The Way to Attain: A Book Full of Pantagruelism translated from the French of BĂ©roalde de Verville a writer who purportedly shares affinities with Rabelais. I haven't read much of this work so I'm unsure if the allusion to Pantagruel is explicitly stated.

Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2024 01:54PM
I have read The Hill of Dreams and The Secret Glory, but it's Machen third and final novel, The Green Round, that I love. It has connections with "N."

"N," I believe, refers to a London postal code area, not to mathematics.

[en.wikipedia.org]

When you've read "N," you might be curious about a book I own but haven't read, don't know if it's good -- Chris McCabe's Buried Garden: Lockdown with the Lost Poets of Abney Park Cemetery (2021), which has an element of a search for the park that might have inspired Machen. It also refers to the artists Samuel Palmer and Edward Calvert (and Wm Blake) so I had to have it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page