Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Red World of Polaris
Posted by: Raven10 (IP Logged)
Date: 1 August, 2008 06:21AM
Martinus, I accept that the comparison is merely rhetorical, as you have pointed out. However, I thought that you would understand my surprise to read of any comparison between what is a shallow TV series and the artistic creativity of Clark Ashton Smith. By the way, no offence intended to any Star Trek fans who may have read my comments on this site, regarding the comparison with CAS. Also, I am quite new to the writings of Clark Ashton Smith; so my understanding of his works is far less mature than it could be. I would be interested to read any further messages as regards this thread.

Regards

Julian L Hawksworth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 1 Aug 08 | 07:30AM by Raven10.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 1 August, 2008 07:22AM
My goodness -- at first I had no idea what you were replying to, and then I found one tiny post by yours truly in the middle. :-)
Besides, Scott covered it much better than I did.

I'm not too big a fan of Star Trek myself -- I think it is the Trekkers who should feel honored by the tenuous CAS association. ;-)

Yrs
Martin

Posted by: Raven10 (IP Logged)
Date: 1 August, 2008 07:52AM
Thanks for your prompt reply, Martinus. Your comment that "Scott covered it seemed much better than I did", seems perfectly true. Also, Scott mentions a CAS compilation called "Star Changes" (from Darkside Press). Do you know anything else about this book? By the way, I accept your view that the so-called "Trekkers" ought to "feel honoured by the tenuous CAS association". On the otherhand, I was not aware that I had suggested otherwise, in view of the fact that I called the TV series "shallow". Yes, I did point out that "Trekkers" might be offended by my comparison - but I was simply intending to avoid any ill-feeling. Enough said, don't you think? (For now at least!).

Regards

Julian L Hawksworth

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 1 August, 2008 02:28PM
Yes, Star Changes is an excellent collection of the best of CAS's science fiction. Of course, if you get the Collected Fantasies series you won't be needing this, but it's a damn'd nice book to have. You can find the table of contents at

[www.eldritchdark.com]

Oh no, you didn't suggest otherwise -- I just found it amusing to think that the Trekkers would have to see their favourite TV show stand to comparison with a writer that 99% of them probably have never heard of, and that said TV show would be found wanting in said comparison with said obscure writer. :-)

Yrs
Martin

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page