Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Nora May French
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2006 10:27AM
I have been reading THE SHADOW OF THE UNATTAINED this week, and yet again noticed several references to Nora May French. I was sure I had a sampling of her poetry and an article about this young woman somewhere in the house, but instead seem to have been lured into a false sense of familiarity with her through recently reading so many short references to her in works about or by Smith, Sterling, Lovecraft, and others. I was sure NYCTALOPS or ETCHINGS & ODYSSEYS had included something, but it was in no copy of these magazines in my library. Is there any plan to reprint her book of verse, about which Smith, Sterling, and Lovecraft were so fond?

Jim

Re: Nora May French
Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2006 07:40PM
I do not believe there are any reprints. However, the Bancroft library at UC Berkeley has many rare things concerning her, like pictures, etc. I pulled out a rare 1910 version of her selected poems and made copies for Phillip here (voleboy). I can make you a copy of it if you are interested. Let me know.

Date: 16 February, 2006 09:43PM
Another thought is I could also post a poem or two a week for the benefit of the group, if you or anyone else would prefer.

Date: 16 February, 2006 10:02PM
That would be wonderful. Let me know what I will owe you for copying and postage.

Jim
(Not sure why your second reply arrived in my mailbox, but not this one)

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2006 09:10PM
Just to add to NightHalo's remarks, Mary Rudge, a contemporary of ours, published a volume of her work. She had offered to allow me to look at a copy, if I could find a library local to my area that would be interested in taking the copy but to no avail. There have been a vew volumes published about her as well, although I don't have their titles at hand. Maybe some research via the internet is in order, as Ms French is a poet whose memory is well worth preserving. She should not be forgotten as she is, and I am honoured to be considered an admirer of her work.

With luck, I may in the coming years be able to write about her work, in a major essay or else a book or booklet.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2006 10:54AM
There was a reprint of her book POEMS several years by a feminist publisher here in Kalifornia. Randy Everts of The Strange Co. and ETCHINGS AND ODDYSEYS interviewed her sister, as did Donald Sidney-Fryer, and he published a lot of information about her in early mailings of the Esoteric Order of Dagon apa (which I, alas! no longer have). Don Fryer just did some research on her at the Huntington Library, and Richard Hughey informs me that some of her poems have been selected for inclusion in a modern anthology from someplace like the Library of America, along with some of George Sterling's (but not, I am sorry to say, any of CAS.... :( ) I've seen photos of her, and she was a true beauty.
Best,
Scott

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2006 11:36AM
Check out this URL for some additional information on Nora May:

[www.stillness.com]

Scott

Posted by: Raven10 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2006 05:39AM
I have not heard of Nora French before. It would be much appreciated if you could let myself and others know more about her writing.

Julian (aka Raven10)

Julian L Hawksworth

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2006 11:50PM
Donald Sidney-Fryer is currently working on a MSS that will include all of Nora May French's published poems, plus a half dozen (so far) recently discovered. The book will also contain a full biographical sketch and critical introduction. So, with a little luck this neglected member of the Califoria Romantics will soon be back in print!
-Ron

Date: 24 February, 2006 08:21AM
This is very good news, Ron. Thanks also to everyone else for the information they have imparted on this subject. According to a friend, Everts published a very short biographical piece on French via the EOD (I had thought I remembered something in E&O, but it must simply have been an ad from The Strange Company).

Jim

Posted by: Pamela Herr (IP Logged)
Date: 6 March, 2006 03:12PM
For the past several years, I have been working on what will be the first full-length biography of the California poet Nora May French, so I was delighted to discover this thread about her. I was also glad to learn that Donald Sidney-Fryer is planning a much-needed new edition of her poems. I hope that within a few years, she will be much better known!

Date: 6 March, 2006 04:15PM
Welcome, Pamela. Please keep us abreast of your progress on this biography.

Jim

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 7 March, 2006 12:47PM
If people are interested and more important willing to help, I could whip up a web site for Nora May French containing as much of her work as people are willing to provide to me.

Are people interested and willing?

Nora_May_French.org doesnt sound the most enticing, suggestions welcome for a domain name.

Date: 7 March, 2006 03:51PM
For the moment, I could type out the poems from her Selected Poetry for you.

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 7 March, 2006 04:09PM
Typeing is painfull, got a scanner? could sendthem to some one who has (includes me)?

how much material can you lay your hands on?

Goto Page: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page