Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
a little off-topic re: Dumas' Wolf-Leader
Posted by: garymorris (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2006 01:23PM
This is a knowledgeable group. How likely does anyone here think it is that one of the small press publishers like Night Shade, Hippocampus, Ash-Tree, Wildside would reprint Dumas' excellent novel The Wolf-Leader? The Prime Press edition from 1950 (the only one I know of after the early versions) is ultra-rare and sells for around $250 and up, typically. Who should I approach with the suggestion? Any thoughts on this? (with apologies for veering off-topic)

Re: a little off-topic re: Dumas' Wolf-Leader
Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2006 03:54PM
It wouldn't hurt for you to just email them all and suggest it.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2006 02:16AM
I'd suggest it to John Betancourt at Wildside Press. Considering that that they are also the current incarnation of Prime Press (I know, there's no connection, I'm just being rheotorical), it would seem a slamdunk.

Best,
Scott

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2006 07:14PM
I'm still waiting for affordable reprints of:

AUT DIABOLUS AUT NIHIL AND OTHER TALES [The Devil or Nothing] by X. L. [pseudonym for Julian Osgood Field].

$275.00
Currey, L.W. Inc. ABAA/ILAB London: Methuen & Co., Hardcover Octavo, January 1895. Frontspiece by Aubrey Beardsley. "Mixed collection of criminous and two notable supernatural tales; the title story concerns fin-de-siecle diabolism, enjoyed success de scandale as supposedly describing actual practices by same circles Huysmans frequented during research for La-Bas; "A Kiss of Judas" peculiar variant of vampirism, undercurrents of anti-Semitism and trans-sexual eroticism. Work demonstrates originality and imagination."- Robert Knowlton. Barron (ed), Horror Literature 2-28. Bleiler, The Guide to Supernatural Fiction 1747. Locke, A Spectrum of Fantasy, p. 237. Bleiler (1978), p. 213. Reginald 05397. Hubin (1994), p. 479. Three corner tips bruised, front free endpaper replaced, partial hairline crack along inner rear hinge, early owner"s signature at top edge of title page, a very good copy.

Stenbock, Yeats and the Nineties by Adlard, John.

$190.00
London: Cecil & Amelia Woolf, 1969 Cloth. Biographical exploration of the man described by W.B. Yeats as "Scholar, connoisseur, drunkard, poet, pervert, most charming of men." Includes an unpublished essay on Stenbock by Arthur Symons and a bibliography by Timothy d"Arch Smith. Limited to 750 copies, this copy not numbered. First Edition Near Fine/Very Good+. 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall. 16mo.,113pp. Limited to 750 copies, this represents the review copy, with cards laid in. With five pages of llustrations. Includes unpublished essay on Eric Stenbock, and Stenbock bibliography. Book and dust jacket are clean. Very rare.

Of course, even if they ARE ever republished, it will be as $75.00 limited editions that I STILL won't be able to afford.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 20 Sep 06 | 07:18PM by Gavin Callaghan.

Posted by: garymorris (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2006 09:29PM
Meanwhile, I can at least feed my Dumas fetish by listening to The Wolf Leader on an audio site called audiobooksforfree.com. They have a lot of great material including Hodgson's Carnacki stories and The Ghost Pirates. Unfortunately, no CAS -- in fact very little Arkham material that I noticed, except two uncontestably public domain titles by HPL: The Moon-Bog and The Hound.

That Julian Osgood title sounds ripe for reprinting! Wildside, are you listening?

Posted by: David Kartas (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2008 04:03PM
Gavin Callaghan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AUT DIABOLUS AUT NIHIL AND OTHER TALES by X. L. .
>

Its actualy scanned on Internet Archive, even in plain text form.

[www.archive.org]

Its all there,theres only a slight coruption where a sheet of music was scanned.It was just notes,so no big.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page