Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A short Clark Ashton Smith animation
Posted by: Taranaich (IP Logged)
Date: 2 November, 2006 08:38AM
Greetings to the community. I'm a big fan of Clark Ashton Smith and the other Weird Tales writers, so I plan on including my three favourite authors in an animation project for my honours year Degree course.

My last animation was based on Robert E. Howard's Conan, which was pretty successful, and I plan on uploading it to Youtube at some point for all to view. This year, I plan on making three two-minute animations based on the writings of Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith. I'll be doing some excerpts from REH's "The Frost Giant's Daughter" and HPL's "Call of Cthulhu", but I haven't yet decided which Smith tale to use. At the moment it's a toss-up between "Empire of the Necromancers" and the beginning of "The Door to Saturn", but I'd like the input of the Eldritch Dark community to write in any suggestions they may have. I'd like to stick to either the Hyperborean or Zothique tales, though I immensely enjoy all his work.

Re: A short Clark Ashton Smith animation
Posted by: shadowcat (IP Logged)
Date: 2 November, 2006 10:50PM
I would like to see Empire of the Necromancers or maybe The Last Hieroglyph. I hope you toss links this way so that we can all see them when you upload your work.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 3 November, 2006 05:05PM
I vote for the Black Abbotr of Puthuum -

Just returned from a half day at the WFC in Austin Texas - Great to see Scott and Gavin and number of other friends, -- about a dozen gathered for breakfast to have a chance to meet, the vendors had some really excellent copies of some of Ashton's work.

Drf

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 3 November, 2006 07:25PM
Doing animation of CAS, whatever the length, is a great idea. Richard and Wendy Pini attempted to do something similar with Elric for their graduate-arts course; although the film was never completed, they included all their cells and background paintings in a very lovely book.

My brother, who is a very big Conan fan, has frequently bemoaned the lack of quality Conan movies, and he has suggested to me that now, with the special effects that are possible (witness the success of the LOTR films) would be a perfect time for someone to attempt a high quality Conan epic.
GDC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 3 Nov 06 | 07:25PM by Gavin Callaghan.

Posted by: rutledge_442 (IP Logged)
Date: 7 November, 2006 05:59PM
I suggest the "Seven Geases" then again "The Plutonium Drug" may be interesting..

Posted by: Taranaich (IP Logged)
Date: 8 November, 2006 03:02AM
Thanks for the input.

Shadowcat: I'll certainly post links to my animation once it's complete.

As much as I'd love to, I won't be able to do an entire CAS tale, at least until I have time after my college course to give it the attention it deserves. Indeed, one of my rather loftier ambitions is to direct a full tale when I have the time and funds to do so, as well as a Conan tale, though naturally that's likely a long time away if at all possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page