Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Quickest route to Averoigne?
Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2007 10:02AM
I'm a bit of a CAS newbie, I've only read his Zothique stuff, and I've got vol 1 of the Night Shade collection on its way. However while I see the need for a chronological collection, I'd also like to read an authors work within the individual cycles. Averoigne is the setting that interests me the most, but it seems that there is no published collection of the complete Averoigne cycle (surely there is a niché there that needs filling by some small press publisher?).

So my question is: what is the quickest/cheapest way to buy all the Averoigne stories over the least amount of books? Or is it worth waiting for an Averoigne collection to eventually be released?

Cheers

Re: Quickest route to Averoigne?
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2007 03:08PM
Welcome aboard!

At this time, there is no easy and inexpensive way to acquire all of the Averoigne stories, as they are scattered throughout all of the Arkham House collections, with a tale or two appearing in other collections and anthologies. In addition, WEIRD TALES insisted on censoring "The Mother of Toads" and Smith was forced to completely restructure "The Beast of Averoigne" for magazine publication - the unexpurgated version of the first appeared as one of Steve Behrends' UNEXPURGATED CLARK ASHTON SMITH chapbooks from Necronomicon Press several years ago. The original text of the second tale was first published in the CAS miscellany STRANGE SHADOWS published by the academic publisher Greenwood Press - it is still in print, but it is expensive. Ron Hilger put together a collection of Averoigne stories for Donald Grant several years ago, but it is still pending. Your best option is to either wait for this book to appear or collect all five of the Night Shade series - volume one is splendid!

Jim

Date: 13 February, 2007 05:33AM
Thanks for the detailed reply. Looks like the only sure way to Averoigne is via the scenic route then. Seems odd the Donald Grant hasn't made a move on with the Averoigne collection. Oh well, my copy of The End of the Story arrived today (it sure is a great looking book), so I'm sure that will keep me going in the mean time.

Date: 13 February, 2007 07:29AM
You are welcome. With THE END OF THE STORY, you already have three of the tales in restored texts (an abridged version of "A Night in Malneánt" appears occasionally and this book offers both conclusions to "The Satyr):

The End of the Story
A Night in Malneánt
The Satyr

There are a lot of other gems in the book as well, as you have probably already discovered.

Jim

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 15 February, 2007 02:43PM
The English Assassin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the detailed reply. Looks like the only
> sure way to Averoigne is via the scenic route
> then. Seems odd the Donald Grant hasn't made a
> move on with the Averoigne collection.

We keep hearing rumors and seeing signs and portents, but nothing definite as of yet.

Scott

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2007 06:04PM
It used to say "Moving forward weekly" on the website, but that was many years ago (I supposed they tired of all "Moving forward weAkly" jokes).

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 1 March, 2007 11:56AM
I've just asked Robert Wiener if he was planning to update the website before or after the The Averoigne Chronicles is printed, pointing out that CAS fans think the book is off the table because all mention of it has been dropped for the last year or so. The fact is (not a rumor, sign, or portent) work on the remaining details (mostly artwork by Tom Canty and interior design work) has begun again the last few months. Very little remains to be done except the actual printing. Believe me, I'm the last person to give an unwarranted optimistic report, having been disappointed over and over these last twelve years or so, but more work has been done towards bringing the book out in the last two months than in the last five years.
Still, I don't have any actual printing schedule to give you; I'm still just waiting to see what happens along with the rest of you.
-Ron

Date: 1 March, 2007 03:59PM
This is wonderful news, Brian. DG needs to not only update their website, but send an e-mail to their customers as well. Those of us who have been waiting for this for several years will be extremely glad to open a message from them containing news of AVEROIGNE instead of yet another update on yet another Stephen King special edition. I have been very unhappy with the way they have ignored the tastes and requests of their pre-DARK TOWER customer base.

Jim

Date: 1 March, 2007 04:00PM
Sorry to call you Brian, Ron. It has been one of those months.

Jim

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 1 March, 2007 07:58PM
Hey, no sweat. The last few months have been hectic for me also. Hopefully this summer will see things pay off with some new CAS books . . .

Date: 4 March, 2007 02:52PM
This is indeed great news. Thanks for the info Brian, errr... I mean Ron ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page