Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Hyperborea question
Posted by: GorillaSpawn (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2007 11:43PM
Hi all! This is a great site. I'm just getting started reading CAS, having discovered him through the works of Lovecraft. I just ordered an older compilation called "Hyperborea."

Hey I have a question. Are the stories contained in Hyperborea in the public domain? I'd heard somewhere, not sure where now, that they are. Can anyone verify this? The reason I ask is because I might be interested in writing stories derived from these works for self publishing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

best,
Dan

Re: Hyperborea question
Posted by: ArkhamMaid (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2007 09:56AM
Do you mean that you want to write stories that are set in Hyperborea and have them published? I don't believe that there's anything wrong with that; writers like Lin Carter and Robert M. Price did so in The Book of Eibon and, of course, Robert E. Howard referenced Hyperborea in his own fantasy works.

Date: 11 December, 2007 10:53AM
Yep, that's what I mean, but I'd like to know if they are PD (if anyone around is able to provide that info). Thanks!

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2007 09:18PM
When you consider all of the changes and extensions Congress has enacted since 1976, copyright law in the US is so screwed up that it is simply not possibly to give a yes or no answer to that question. There is an active estate that is pretty easy to get along with, so I would suggest playing it safe. If you simply wish to write your own fan fiction using CAS' Hyperborea as a setting, that shouldn't be a problem so long as you don't list him as a co-author.

Scott

Date: 12 December, 2007 10:05AM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response! I can't seem to find a proper contact with the estate when I search online, could you give me their email address? What I have in mind is kind of "fan," but also would be for sale. So I'd like to write to them to let them know exactly what I have in mind and to see if they would be ok with it.

Best,
Dan

Date: 13 December, 2007 12:23PM
People here are in contact with the CAS estate, surely someone can give me their email address? Thanks!

Date: 3 January, 2008 11:40PM
Hi, still looking for contact info, can anyone help?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page