Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Foreign Editions of CAS
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2003 12:09AM
I have a special offer for our friends in non-English speaking countries. I am the co-editor, with David E. Schultz, of the forthcoming Arkham House edition of The Selected Letters of Clark Ashton Smith. We are currently reading galley proofs on this, and the book should be out sometime this summer.
I am interested in obtaining foreign editions of books by CAS, especially the NEO editions from France, the Bibliothek des Haus Usher from Germany, the Japanese collection, and various Italian, Spanish, Dutch, and Greek collections. Appearances from the former Eastern Bloc countries would be of especial interest. I have all of the in-print French, Finnish, and German editions, plus a handful of others. I am interested in obtaining any lacunae for my holdings, including anthology appearances and magazine articles, and can pay (by PayPal preferably) or trade. I would be pleased to offer an autographed copy of Selected Letters in trade for an equivalent value of foreign editions. I'm also willing to obtain for you various books, CDs, etc. from the US for trading purposes.
Ultimately this information on foreign appearances will appear in an updated edition of Donald Sidney-Fryer's monumental bibliography Emperor of Dreams (not to be confused with the recent Orion Millenium omnibus of CAS' tales by that same title).
With thanks,
Scott Connors

Re: Foreign Editions of CAS
Posted by: Juha-Matti Rajala (IP Logged)
Date: 4 April, 2003 01:56AM
I could try to obtain you copies of the four out-of-print Finnish anthologies with CAS stories:
-"Velhojen valtakunta": Velhojen valtakunta (The Empire of the Necromancers)
-"Outoja Tarinoita 1": Gorgo (The Gorgon)
-"Outoja tarinoita 4": Genius loci (Genius Loci)
-"Weird Tales": Adomphan puutarha (The Garden of Adompha)
I trust you don't have any of these? (The two other anthologies, "Mustan jumalan suudelma" and "Musta kivi" I send you last year.) If so, I think I could well turn up some, if not all, of these with a bit of searching. I can also look for articles, but I fear there might not be too many of those, apart from reviews.
Juha-Matti Rajala

Date: 4 April, 2003 12:12PM
Just information on the anthologies would be fine: title, editor, publisher, place and date of publication, binding, Smith contribution, page numbers.
I would be highly interested in what the Finnish critics have had to say about CAS.
You might want to take this to me off list.
Thanks--Scott Connors

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2003 05:40AM
Hi,

I know not which out of print editions you already have (or have knowledge of). The German FESTA publishing company has one or two CAS titles in print at the moment. I can provide information about at least one out of print title (of which I also have a spare copy to trade):

Title: Saat aus dem Grabe (= Seed from the Sepulchre)
Series: Phantastische Bibliothek (no. 68) (paperback in violet binding)
Publisher: Suhrkamp Taschenbuch Verlag (no. 765)
ISBN: 3-518-37265-3 <800>
250 pages (+6 unnumbered pages of copyright notes/series catalogue)
Contains 9 CAS short stories, translated into German by Friedrich Polakovics

Best,

Holger

Date: 15 June, 2003 09:44AM
Greetings,
I have copies of both Suhrkamp Verlag taschenbucher by Clark Ashton
Smith (Saat aus dem Grabe and Der Haupt aus Medusa), plus Necropolis from
Festa. I wasn't aware of a second volume from Festa. If you can help me
obtain a copy of this book, as well as the original hardcover edition of
Saat aus dem Grabe from Insel Verlags Bibliothek des Haus Usher, or any
other German/Austrian/Swiss editions of CAS besides those listed here, I can
reimburse you or provide for you in trade certain American publications,
such as my own edition of CAS' letters from Arkham House.
Thanks for thinking of me.
Best wishes,
Scott Connors

Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2003 07:52PM
> I know not which out of print editions you already have (or
> have knowledge of). The German FESTA publishing company has
> one or two CAS titles in print at the moment. I can provide
> information about at least one out of print title (of which I
> also have a spare copy to trade):

Do you have a url for FESTA? I have a page for all in print CAS works, so would like to include their works.

Oh if dont have the cover art from the CAS works you have on the site can you scan them and send them to me?

Thanks
Boyd.:-))

Date: 15 June, 2003 11:20PM

Posted by: John Hitz (IP Logged)
Date: 4 July, 2003 04:22PM
Actually, I'm only trying to get one of the copies of
Strange Shadows from Gavin Smith; however, I think it
would be great if artwork from foreign editions of C.A.S.
finds its way here via beneficent hands!

Posted by: Dennis Leong (IP Logged)
Date: 5 July, 2003 04:27PM
Scott,

I have two CAS paperbacks:

Zothique en Andere Verloren Werelden (216 pages)
Samenstelling E.L. de Marigny
Meulenhoff Science Fiction and Fantasy
Amsterdam 1983
ISBN 90 290 1773 2

Das Haupt der Medusa (223 pages)
Redaktion und Beratung: Franz Rottensteiner
der deutschen Ubersetzung Suhrkamp Verlag Frankfurt am Main 1988
suhrkamp taschenbuch 1575
Germany 1988

Date: 7 July, 2003 06:11AM
Scott,

there were THREE Suhrkamp volumes.

1. Saat aus dem Grabe
2. Planet der Toten
3. Das Haupt der Medusa

#1 and #2 are reprints of the Bibliothek des Hauses Usher editions and appeared in about 1980; #3 was published in 1988. All were translated by Friedrich Polakovics; no overlaps occurred

Also, there was a German edition of POSEIDONIS (same title) as Moewig Phantastica 1819 in 1985. Martin Eisele was the translator.

Finally (so far), there was NECROPOLIS, published by FEsta Verlag in 2001. Translators fo 13 of the fifteen stories were Andreas Diesel, Frank Festa, and yours truly. Two Eisele translations were edited and included as well.

I am preparing a list/bibliography of German CAS translations and will mail the complete version to you. It should not take too long.

Best,

Heiko

Date: 7 July, 2003 06:13AM
Pardon my typos. The heat of the moment, I suppose.

Heiko

Posted by: chris ward (IP Logged)
Date: 7 July, 2003 10:43AM
Hi,

As I'm delurking for the first time I'll say "hello" and note my appreciation for a very helpful site.

I'm just delurk to say point out there is a copy of the German edition of Poseidonis currently on ebay. Auction ends in just over a week, no bids yet, bids start at 1.5 EURO. - I have no affiliation to the seller.

Auction details at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3534768541&category=2229
- chris

Date: 8 July, 2003 06:04PM
Dennis:
Thanks for the information. I have "Das Haupt des Medusa." Are you offering me the Zothique collection? If so, what would you like in trade? Remember, I should have copies of CAS' SELECTED LETTERS very soon!

Heiko:
Thank you for the information on German editions of CAS. I admit that I had forgotten about PLANET DES TOTENS. I have a search bookmarked on the German EBAY site, but have not seen the Insel Verlag editions show up. I would dearly love to have them. I also need the Suhrkamp PLANET. I look forward to seeing your bibliography. Email me off list for my address (get email from Boyd if necessary).

Chris:
Thanks for the eBay alert re: POSEIDONIS. Have it tagged and bagged. I have a buddy in Denmark who usually purchases these items for me, but this seller ships worldwide, Gott sei Dank!

Date: 19 September, 2003 10:24AM
Which french are the edition that you have ?

There was 8 CAS short stories editions by Néo, série FAntstique / Science Fiction/Aventure
- L'Ile Inconnu, 1985, n°149
- Ubbo-Sathla, 1985, n°155
- La Gorgone, 1986, n°175
- Empire des Nécromants, 1986, n°165
- Le Dieu Carnivore, vol.1, 1987, n°190
- Le Dieu Carnivore, vol., 1987, n°191
- Les Abominations de Yondo, 1988, n°203/204
- Morthylla , 1989 , n°218/219
All those were under direction of François Truchaud.

There was 2 editions by Librairie des Champs-Elysées :
- Zothique, 1978
- Poséidonis, 1981

Some stories also appeared in some anthologies, such as :
The Enchantress of Sylaire and The End of the Story in Histoires anglo-saxonnes de Vampires, Jean Marigny, Librairie des Champs-Elysées, 1978 ;
The Empire of the Necromancers in Meilleurs récits de Weird Tales (Les) J'ai Lu, n°579, 1975 ;
The Death of Ilalotha in Meilleurs récits de Weird Tales, vol. 2, J'ai Lu, n°580, 1975 ;
The Garden of Adompha in Meilleurs récits de Weird Tales, vol. 3 (Les) J'ai Lu, n°923, 1979.

One should also notice : Zothique, Presse d'Ananké, 1985, fanzine edited by Jean-Luc Buard, containing Xeethra.

All is not listed there, but most of it, I have to suppose.

Please tell me what are thoses french edition you're looking for. I don't have a second samples among mines, but , searching with patience in bookstore, one might still find thoses Neo.

Regards,

Date: 19 September, 2003 10:49AM
There is also :

Return of the Sorcerer and Ubbo-Sathla in Légendes du Mythe de Cthulhu, Christian Bourgeois, 1975 ;
City of the Singing Flame in Les meilleurs récits de Wonder Stories J'ai Lu, n°663 , 1976 ;
Voyage of King Eurovan in Manoir des Roses : l'épopée fantastique (Le) Presse de la Cité, Presse-Pocket,1978 ;
Seed from the Sepulcher in Nouvelles Histoires d'Outre-Monde Casterman, 1967 ;

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page