Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 27 January, 2009 11:58AM
wilum pugmire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do not discard those old Arkham editions because
> they are becoming valuable. I really HATE the
> stupid dust jacket art on the new Arkham editions
> (except for THE HORROR IN THE MUSEUM)

Yes, they aren't much to write home about, IMO. I'm glad that I managed to snag one of the printings that had the Raymond Bayless covers.

> and the
> newly publish'd editions lack the
> recently-discovered definitive text for whut many
> consider Lovecraft's finest tale, "The Shadow out
> of Time," which corrected text (from the MS that
> HPL gave to Barlow) is now included in the Penguin
> edition THE DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE, in the
> Library of America edition and the lovely (though
> filled with new misprints, which will be corrected
> in the 2nd edition) Barnes & Noble.

Working on it! I don't think I posted a link to my list of textual differences in the B&N volume (most of them are probably errors, but I can't say either way before Joshi has looked at them) -- anyway, here it is: [www.sffchronicles.co.uk]

> I shall soon
> be ordering the super-luxurious Centipede Press
> edition, which is now on sale for only $325, I
> believe.

I am so terribly tempted by that book, but only because it is supposed to have the largest collection of Lovecraft photos ever gathered in one place.

>
> The definitive text of "The Shadow out of Time"
> was first published as single volume (with
> extensive introduction and notes and a jacket
> reproduction in colour of the art from Astounding)
> by Hippocampus, and it is such a wonderful wee
> book. I highly recommend it.

I second that!

>
> S. T. told me that he hopes the Barnes & Noble
> edition will, in time, become the "popular"
> edition, and because of its low price it is ideal
> for placement in libraries and schools.

It will get there eventually. At the moment it is a somewhat painful read.

> My favourite editions are the Penguins.

Yes, they're nice -- I use them as travel reading, and they're excellent as presents. If only they didn't introduce new typos. :-( Many of the ones I've found in the B&N book appeared in the Penguins first.

Re: Lovecraft: definitive texts?
Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2009 01:02PM
Martinus: This is off the immediate topic, but have you posted or otherwise made available errata lists for the Nightshade volumes of CAS's tales? If not, then that would be valuable, assuming you've done so (I seem to have some recollection of your doing this, but I could be mistaken). Perhaps it could be posted as a "sticky" thread in this forum?

Date: 31 January, 2009 02:17PM
Yes, my errata lists (or rather, my lists of SUSPECTED errata) for vols. 1 & 2 are somewhere in this forum. I never posted my list for vol. 3, since that ended up being longer than the other two combined (!), I'm sorry to say, and I didn't have the time or the energy to convert the formatting (all those italics and underlinings) for posting in the forum.

However, Scott Connors should have all the lists, since I've e-mailed them to him AND to Night Shade, just to be on the safe side (Scott? Did you get them?).

(BTW, I just finished "The Dreams in the Witch House" and have now hit "Through the Gates of the Silver Key". I think I'll finish in about two more weeks.)

Date: 31 January, 2009 02:21PM
P. S. I also have a list of suspected errata for the Complete Poetry and Translations, but that's also a bit on the long side (in printed form it would take up about 8 pages), and it ignores the texts in Spanish and French. Joshi & Schultz have both received copies, though.

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2009 04:21PM
Thanks, Martinus.

It would be great if the publishers, after verifying the errors, would make the errata lists freely available to those of us who have purchased the books. I, for one, would much rather mark my current texts (as I've done with the Penguin Lovecrafts, thanks to your efforts) than purchase revised and corrected printings of the Night Shade and Hippocampus volumes--assuming there ever are any, which would actually surprise me.

Posted by: Radovarl (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2009 01:21PM
wilum pugmire Wrote:
> I shall soon
> be ordering the super-luxurious Centipede Press
> edition, which is now on sale for only $325, I
> believe.

I just received my copy today, so if anyone has questions about this edition (contents, physical quality, etc.), I'd be more than happy to fill you in. The Centipede website is kind of light on detail. Haven't had a chance to do much more than unpack it yet, but first impressions...huge (really huge), superb materials, and nicely constructed. I've gone through the photo volume, and was not especially impressed, but that was not a selling point for me anyway. I haven't yet compared the table of contents to the Barnes & Noble or Library of America editions. From a quick scan it appears that all of the major tales are included, along with (at least) two collaborations, "The Horror in the Museum" and "The Mound" (my personal favorite).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20 Feb 09 | 01:22PM by Radovarl.

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2009 08:55PM
I am so excited about getting it. It will probably contain errors, but Jerad's books are beautiful. I'm hoping to have the boards of my omnibus yellow with black design, and it's almost definite that Harry O. Morris Jr will be illustrating my book. I hope to be able to order the Lovecraft volume within ye next two months. Sorry to hear you found the photo volume disappointing, I was looking forward to its collection of photos of Providence. Now that I've been there, on a tour with S. T., every time I see a photo of Providence I gets all dreamy....

Date: 21 February, 2009 04:54AM
I hope that someone will release a Lovecraft photo collection someday...

Date: 21 February, 2009 08:58AM
Maybe "disappointing" wasn't the best choice of words. The photo album is nice enough as a physical object, and the portraits and other shots of HPL all in one place are great to have, though there are a few shots I've seen online that were not included. There are fewer shots of Providence than I had hoped, and there is no indication anywhere (at least that I noticed, but only leafed through it the one time so far) what each photograph is of. Although a couple are immediately recognizable as HPL's old haunts (houses and such), others are not. A list of contents, which I might have missed and will check again, would have been useful.

Posted by: OConnor,CD (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2009 07:21AM
I've seen the Definitive text in my local B&N, but to me the paper seems too fragile. Anyone see this as a problem?

Very awesome book though.

Date: 24 February, 2009 03:21PM
OConnor,CD Wrote:
> I've seen the Definitive text in my local B&N, but
> to me the paper seems too fragile. Anyone see this
> as a problem?

It's a problem only if you intend to lug it around with you, but if you're careful, it should be fine.
>
> Very awesome book though.

Yes; and it'd have been even more awesome if it had been proofed! Wait for the second printing!

Date: 24 February, 2009 03:21PM
The paper is a tad flimsy, true, but you can't go wrong for the price. It's about the same as a trade paperback, has pretty much every HPL story one could ask for, and doubles as a paperweight. Buy two :). Seriously, though, I'm surprised how nice the book is for being so inexpensive.

Date: 24 February, 2009 03:24PM
Martinus Wrote:
> Yes; and it'd have been even more awesome if it
> had been proofed! Wait for the second printing!

I wish I had. I wasn't aware of these issues when I purchased mine, and I'm still working my way through the LoA edition so wouldn't have noticed for some time. How bad is it?

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2009 03:47PM
For travel, I always take the three Penguin Classic books, which have not only the fiction but the fascinating S. T. Joshi notes. I have three sets of the Penguins, one at bedside, one kept in pristine condition and then the three that I took with me on my trip to New England and New York, which are beat-up, filled with notes and leaves from Providence in October and postcards from Boston (one from Copp's Hill graveyard for the edition that contains "Pickman's Model", with the postcard taped to ye inside cover with clear packing tape). They are wonderful editions and easy to carry about. The Second Edition Barnes & Noble will be the book I keep here at my writing table, and I'll also buy a second copy for bedside. I need lots and lots of copies of Lovecraft because I am always returning to him due to my full-time profession as a full-time Cthulhu Mythos writer. Because I am always returning to HPL, it helps keep it interesting to have as many different editions as possible. Can't wait until I can afford the magnificent Centipede Press edition!

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2009 04:20PM
wilum pugmire Wrote:
> my full-time profession as a full-time Cthulhu
> Mythos writer

I suppose such a thing is just barely possible if one adopts a lifestyle similar to Lovecraft's own. Perhaps leaving out some of the luxuries he permitted himself, such as cheese.

Goto Page: Previous123456AllNext
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page