Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Hashish-Eater as read by Donald Sidney-Fryer?
Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 25 July, 2008 10:09PM
[www.hippocampuspress.com]

As you can see the "The Hashish Eater" + cd has shipped for subscribers of the Complete Poetry of Clark Ashton Smith and can be purchased by non-subscribers.

The book is excellent as it compares side-by-side two versions of the six-hundred-line poem. There are nice introductions and notes included.

At first I did not like the reading, I thought it was too bombastic and not smooth enough. I also wonder if these are the correct pronunciations for many of the words? I did get used to the cadence and rhythm after awhile though.

After listening to it and reading along, I do find that it still booms in my head.

No offense to Mr. Fryer, but I prefer reading this poetry to myself. Usually I don't care for audiobooks either.

If you have the book/cd, what are your impressions?

I am excited to get my hands on the hardcover of Donald Sidney-Fryer’s “Atlantis Fragments”! Hippocampus should be shipping that in the next month or two!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25 Jul 08 | 11:00PM by Eldritch Frog.

Re: The Hashish-Eater as read by Donald Sidney-Fryer?
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 26 July, 2008 06:58AM
I have an earlier CD of Sidney-Fryer reading "The Hashish-Eater" plus some other poems (still haven't got the CAS Poetry -- arrrrgghh!! -- and won't be able to check my mail until Wednesday at the erliest).

I think DSF has an excellent voice and style -- it'd be great to see him perform! He must have a wonderful stage presence.

But yes, I raised an eyebrow more than once at some of the pronunciations. "Infi-night"?

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2008 11:28AM
I know that listening to this poem (especially all at once) tends to be rather overwhelming. But the benefits of listening to the words while following along reading the text are well worth it. Also, the glossary at the end is a necessity! Donald Sidney-Fryer's powerful and dramatic oratory style is meant to compliment and enhance the majestic and cosmic themes on which this poem is based. I was also surprised at some of the pronunciations, but learned that in most cases Don was absolutely correct; although some liberties have been taken for poetic or dramatic effect to ensure that a certain closing line doesn't "fall flat." Also Don sometimes pronounces words such as "sealed" or "spurned" in two syllables (as in seal-ed and spurn-ed) to reinforce the iambic rhythm of the poem. These are usually indicated by an accent mark. Try taking a break here and there between sections and see if this relieves the "bombastic" effect somewhat . . .
-Ron

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2008 12:51PM
Regarding the pronunciation of words - some of you must realize that pronunciations of today do not reflect common usage among the 19th century romantics (as well a King James english) who were Clark's immediate antecedents - antique usage is one of the factors he commonly used in creating mood, both in story and rhyme. It would in fact be incorrect not to make two syllable words where the past participle occurs. where Clark wanted one syllable in such terms he would have elided the "e" with and apostrophe for the sake of pace. The cds he and I did will soon be available I hope, and you can make comparison -- I am not aware of whether Don ever read for Clark though it is likely, while I myself read voluminously for him and with him -- as in a reading of his Play with Carol for instance - Don is correct.

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2008 01:33PM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regarding the pronunciation of words - some of you
> must realize that pronunciations of today do not
> reflect common usage among the 19th century
> romantics (as well a King James english) who were
> Clark's immediate antecedents - antique usage is
> one of the factors he commonly used in creating
> mood, both in story and rhyme. It would in fact
> be incorrect not to make two syllable words where
> the past participle occurs. where Clark wanted
> one syllable in such terms he would have elided
> the "e" with and apostrophe for the sake of pace.
> The cds he and I did will soon be available I
> hope, and you can make comparison -- I am not
> aware of whether Don ever read for Clark though it
> is likely, while I myself read voluminously for
> him and with him -- as in a reading of his Play
> with Carol for instance - Don is correct.

That is what I figured. Thanks for the info!

Posted by: Jeff Gilleland (IP Logged)
Date: 27 August, 2008 11:04PM
On that note...
Donald Sidney-Fryer did a nice rendition live in San San Francisco on one occasion.
Tentacle Session #15 Sunday, April 16, 2000

[sessions.laughingsquid.org]

The recording of that session were replayed on one of my radio specials on KFJC later that year. It was an honor to meet him and discus some CAS after his reading that night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27 Aug 08 | 11:09PM by Jeff Gilleland.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page