> The problem is though that that magazine could
> take a month to arrive (since I'm British), which
> is a bit long to wait for one review. Also, since
> that journal appears to be edited by Mr. Joshi,
> he's hardly going to have criticisms of his own
> book published in his own magazine -- or is it the
> case that the reviewer (whoever he may be) is
> impartial?

In that same issue there's a review of Joshi's American Supernatural Tales which has some quite serious negative criticism, so I don't think partiality is a problem.

> Doesn't anybody here own a copy of the book, and
> if so, can't he give his general opinion on it? It
> would be very welcome. I wouldn't call myself a
> 'general reader' when it comes to Lovecraftiana,
> my interest is far deeper. However, as I said in
> my previous post, I'm not keen on reading
> diary-like descriptions of Lovecraft's day to day
> life. I'm much more interested in the things
> promised on Hipocampus Press's webpage
> (http://www.hippocampuspress.com/lovecraft/letters
> -h-p-lovecraft-august-derleth.html); the history
> of weird fiction, spiritulism, occultism and werid
> fiction in general.

Those blurbs are generally quite truthful.

Re: Essential Solitude: The Letters of Lovecraft and Derleth
Posted by: MTS (IP Logged)
Date: 19 August, 2008 02:01PM
I'm only about 2/3 through the first volume, but I think it's a well-balanced collection of letters. While they tend to be a little more impersonal than some of the other Lovecraft letter collections, they are balanced by the detailed discussions of literature. The young Derleth bombards HPL with queries about what he thinks about various authors; when Derleth writes his senior thesis on the Weird Tale, Lovecraft is generous with his recommendations. We also get a lot of HPL's comments on Derleth's writings, revelatory about HPL's general aesthetics. Joshi's annotations are very helpful, and appendices include pieces by Derleth about HPL and weird fiction, a lengthy bibliography, a glossary of names mentioned, and a listing of all the stories in Weird Tales that the two discussed. I'd imagine this set would be purchased by many large libraries in the USA, and perhaps in the UK as well, but if you are a Lovecraft scholar who would return to the collection over time, it might be a good investment. I've certainly enjoyed it so far.

Mike

Posted by: LurkerintheDark (IP Logged)
Date: 19 August, 2008 02:43PM
Thanks Mike.
I probably will end up forking out for this after all. By 'impersonal' I assume you mean it lacks autobiographical asides, and whatnot. Maybe a curse and a blessing; whilst it would be nice to get some feeling of Lovecraft as a human, lengthy discussions about his day-to-day chores and other mundane occurances are something I could do without.
Sorry to pester futher, but is this volume (despite its size) better or worse than prior publications of Lovecraft's correspondence to specific people (i.e. excluding the 5 vol. Selected Letters)?

Posted by: MTS (IP Logged)
Date: 19 August, 2008 05:16PM
Although it's "impersonal" compared to HPL's letters to Long or Barlow, it is full of personal revelations and gossip. (HPL passes on a remark by Long that Derleth's stories are more "intelligent" than those of CAS or Wandrei; meow indeed!) There's lots of philosophical reflections, descriptions of scenery, analyses of politics and other weird Tales writers -- HPL often repeated things in letters to different correspondents, so some of what you get here will probably be found in letters to others. While HPL never warmed to Derleth to the extent he did to Long, Barlow, or CAS, he was clearly fond of him, taking his standard paternal interest in a young man looking for guidance. As I said, I've only read the first 2/3 of the first volume, so can't evaluate the whole thing, but from what I've read it's as interesting as any of the previously published volumes, and for my money is more interesting than the letters to Donald Wandrei. But "better or worse" is a personal matter. Perhaps Hippocampus, or another vendor, would offer you the possibility of returning the volumes after a brief inspection if they didn't suit your needs?

Posted by: Dexterward (IP Logged)
Date: 19 August, 2008 05:27PM
Lurkerinthedark,

Well, I just broke down this morning and ordered the books. If you don't mind waiting a few weeks, I'll be glad to give them a quick perusal when they arrive, and give you my overall impressions. In general, however, the five volume Arkham serious has much to recommend it (in spite of various shortcomings, notably the abridgement of various letters, etc.). Another book you might consider is "Fortunate Floridian"--Lovecraft's letters to Barlow. I have that also, and if you only read one selection, that's likely to be as good a survey as any. It's a little over 400 pages, and full of interesting details and discussions.

Otherwise, speaking more generally, does anyone know how many more books will be in this new "comprehensive" Joshi series? In other words, will there be a separate volume of Lovecraft and CAS, or other significant members of the "Lovecraft circle?" It's always a treat to delve into a new batch of Lovecraft's correspondence. Nevertheless, the books do tend to be a bit expensive, so I will probably have to put in a bit more overtime at work in order to afford them!

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 20 August, 2008 08:57AM
Next year Hippocampus Press is doing another two volume set of all the surviving correspondance of HP Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. I already have that one pre-ordered.

I've also heard they plan to do a two volume set of all the HP Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith Letters which I will also purchase when they put it up for pre-order. This may be a year or two from now.

This will complete my "Weird Tales Triumvirate"(HPL/CAS/REH) letters collection. I have all of REH's letters in three volumes courtesy of the REH Foundtation and the volume of CAS "Selected Letters" from Arkham House.

Dexterward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Otherwise, speaking more generally, does anyone
> know how many more books will be in this new
> "comprehensive" Joshi series? In other words, will
> there be a separate volume of Lovecraft and CAS,
> or other significant members of the "Lovecraft
> circle?"

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 20 August, 2008 11:00AM
Eldritch Frog Wrote:
> Next year Hippocampus Press is doing another two
> volume set of all the surviving correspondance of
> HP Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. I already have
> that one pre-ordered.
>
> I've also heard they plan to do a two volume set
> of all the HP Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith
> Letters which I will also purchase when they put
> it up for pre-order. This may be a year or two
> from now.

Yes, probably in 2010.

Date: 20 August, 2008 11:02AM
Dexterward Wrote:
> Otherwise, speaking more generally, does anyone
> know how many more books will be in this new
> "comprehensive" Joshi series?

A total of 20-25 volumes -- that's the plan, at least -- of all the available letters of Lovecraft. Unfortunately, not many of those will have both sides of the correspondence, since Lovecraft seldom saved letters from others.

Posted by: DarkReader (IP Logged)
Date: 27 August, 2008 07:20PM
Eldritch Frog Wrote:
> Next year Hippocampus Press is doing another two
> volume set of all the surviving correspondance of
> HP Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. I already have
> that one pre-ordered.
>
> I've also heard they plan to do a two volume set
> of all the HP Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith
> Letters which I will also purchase when they put
> it up for pre-order. This may be a year or two
> from now.

These are the two volumes that I'm most excited about.

Posted by: Dexterward (IP Logged)
Date: 31 August, 2008 11:18PM
Eldritch Frog Wrote:

>
> This will complete my "Weird Tales
> Triumvirate"(HPL/CAS/REH) letters collection. I
> have all of REH's letters in three volumes
> courtesy of the REH Foundtation and the volume of
> CAS "Selected Letters" from Arkham House.
>
>
By the way, how do you like the volume of Smith's "Selected Letters?" I would also like to purchase the Smith/Lovecraft correspondence when it comes out, but I was also thinking about the already published book of Smith's letters. How many of the CAS selected letters are addressed to Lovecraft?--If the number is too large, my fear is that it would be redundant to get that volume, and then also the Hippocampus 2 vol. set when it comes out.

Moreover, I've started to read the HPL/Derleth correspondence. I agree generally with what the others have said. It's slightly more matter of fact as compared with the Barlow correspondence, but for the devotee it still makes for fascinating reading...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31 Aug 08 | 11:19PM by Dexterward.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 2 September, 2008 09:07PM
Well, I might be prejudiced, but I think that the Arkham Selected Letters of CAS presents a balanced portrait of the man through his letters. We included as wide a range of correspondents as was possible, and by no means are all of CAS' letters to HPL, or to George Sterling, included therein. Just read any of the reviews of the books that are on-line, and I think that you will be pleased.

Scott

Date: 3 September, 2008 12:40PM
Besides, Selected Letters of CAS is a fun book -- and Smith is in fact at his best in other letters than those to Lovecraft.

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 3 September, 2008 02:47PM
Not only that, but the cover is very nice. It looks like a museum photo of ancient art. Art that is in fact CAS's carvings!

Martinus Wrote:
> Besides, Selected Letters of CAS is a fun book --
> and Smith is in fact at his best in other letters
> than those to Lovecraft.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 3 September, 2008 05:18PM
Martinus Wrote:
> Besides, Selected Letters of CAS is a fun book --
> and Smith is in fact at his best in other letters
> than those to Lovecraft.

Psst...ixnay on the unfay! You want to blow my street cred as a scholar? : )

Scott

Date: 6 September, 2008 06:32AM
Oooops... Sorry... ;-)

Goto Page: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page