Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
James Hogg
Posted by: Dexterward (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2008 07:12AM
I noticed that Donald Wandrei mentions liking James Hogg's "Confessions of a Justified Sinner," in a letter to Lovecraft. Lovecraft in turn seemed eager to read the book in response to Wanderei's positive review. However, I can't find any indication that Lovecraft ever actually read it. In any case, even if Lovecraft doesn't have anything to say about it, I'm wondering if anyone else has read it, and has an opinion.

Re: James Hogg
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2008 10:07AM
Excellent book. I would not hesitate to list it among the dozen best 19th century novels of the supernatural.

Jim

Posted by: Dexterward (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2008 10:33PM
Thanks Jim, I'll take your word for it and give the book a try in the next few months.

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2008 11:14PM
I'd second the recommendation. Hogg's book is an impressive piece, whether seen in the light of supernatural or psychological fiction; either way, it has an intense air of weirdness and oppression which reminds me at times of the best portions of Brown's Wieland, though it is much more consistent than the latter, I'd say. It's a brief book, as well, so you'd not be investing a great deal of time if it turns out not to be to your taste....

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2008 11:33PM
You are welcome. I have the Penguin and Everyman editions, which are both excellent; but I see that there are now quite a few more editions than there were when I first read the book. I imagine the Oxford and some of the others are also excellent.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page