Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Atlantis Fragments
Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2008 05:30PM
I just received my copy today! If you are interested, I would order immediately as it is a printing of only 300 copies. The poetry and presentation is excellent!

[www.hippocampuspress.com]

Quote:
Donald Sidney-Fryer’s massive, 550-page poetry omnibus is the most elaborate book ever published by Hippocampus. Its color frontispiece, printed end papers, profusion of interior illustrations, Smythe sewn signatures and illustrated dust wrapper destine it to be a collector’s item. This hardcover omnibus presents the collected edition of the trilogy SONGS AND SONNETS ATLANTEAN in a limited edition of 300 copies.
"These poems are of an unearthly beauty. They celebrate love, beauty, and humanity; and yet throughout many of them is a consciousness of impending apocalypse. The imagery, lush, exotic, full of colors and magic names, is a welcome relief from the sterile, prosaic poetry of today. If you enjoy tripping on language, this book is for you. Whether the poems really are from the Atlantean or whether they are the creations of poet Sidney-Fryer, they deserve to be read and experienced."
-- Charles K. Wolfe

"Sidney-Fryer is, in a very strong sense, a traditionalist; his creations, superlatively original as they are, yet give us a powerful feeling of continuity with our own past and culture; they make us see ... the ideals that moved us when we were less “secure” and more human: adventure, love of life, and above all, the intricate beauty of a world long vanished – yet not vanished, if only we had eyes to see."
-- Richard L. Tierney

"Sidney-Fryer has created, in his fictional Atlantis, an entire civilization and a body of absorbing literature. The book should appeal to lovers of poetry, to devotees of science fiction, and to those who admire writers who can fashion a realistic world from the materials of mythology and speculation."
-- Earl J. Dias

"Mr. Fryer is a profound student of Clark Ashton Smith, and the influence shows, but he is very much his own poet, and he structures and plays with a surety and deftness which is remarkable."
-- Gahan Wilson

"A delightful book of verse – purportedly fragments of poetry from the lost Empire of Atlantis – that is very much in the tradition of Spenser’s Faerie Queene. A work that reflects a glittering imagination and no mean talent."
-- James Gorski

Re: The Atlantis Fragments
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2008 06:40PM
I second the motion in honor of my old friend - again reading of Smith poetry by Don and myself will shortly be available - the first issue will be the complete text of Sandlwood

Re: The Atlantis Fragments
Posted by: deuce (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2008 10:10PM
Steve Tompkins, over on the Cimmerian blog, just posted an extensive review, abounding with fulsome praise, of The Atlantis Fragments.

[www.thecimmerian.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page