Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
SMITH'S earliest novella/short story
Posted by: Esmond (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2008 06:38PM
I understand that Mr Smith's first effort was at age 14 and involved a mysterious jewel in the Middle East. Whilst enjoying reading through the short story section I can't quite recall the title of the story. I so hope it is archived here.
This site is, clearly, a labor of love.

Whilst one would, of course, prefer a perfect edition of Fakhreddin, it is such a pleasure to be able to read the version online here, I do so respect the efforts by the gentleman to bring these stories to us and to have the editorial comments that enable one to at least have some idea of what the finish might have been.

Thanks to all.

Re: SMITH'S earliest novella/short story
Posted by: sverba (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2008 04:32PM
I thought you were referring to this one?

ttp://www.hippocampuspress.com/smith/black_diamonds.html

Posted by: Esmond (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2008 11:17PM
sverba,
Thank you so much, that IS the story. I've never read it only heard about it.
Is it possible that some time in the future it may appear on this website?

I've been reading similar flavored stories here since last night and it is SUCH a joy I can't begin to tell you.
Thanks again for your kind help.

Date: 18 October, 2008 08:45AM
No problem Esmond. I think there may be some kind of deal at times from Hippocampus Press. If memory serves me, when you buy something else they try to give you a deal on other books and Black Diamond was one of them. Can't recall if there was a discount. Anyway, that is actually how I happened on the the title in the first place.

What similar stories are you referring to?

BTW I think Jack Vance "Dying Earth" stories should resonate with CAS fans...

steve

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2008 02:43PM
Black Diamonds was written at about age 14, and the first issue by Hippocampus from Joshi's research at Brown was missing 3 pages which, lo, were in my collection of manuscripts - with the publication of Sword of Zagan, those pages were appended to fill that gap, and I believe the book has been re=issued with those properly inserted. --

To any of you who teach or have taught - wouldn't a student like Smith have been a joy to have? Imagine a student who loves to read AND WRITE, and furthermore, is willing to try. In my lifetime I have encountered two; one was a senior when I met him, the other a freshman who was driving the librarian nuts checking out a half dozen books at a time and actually reading them to return them a week later - this kid introduced me to Dahlgren - and knew that it referred to Grendal - amazing.

Date: 27 October, 2008 08:02AM
A love of reading and a love of writing? Few students who have it, and few teachers appreciate it anymore, indeed.

Dahlgren, eh? I have not thought about that one in many, many years. "To wound the autumnal city" and all. At that time we had some truly adventurous writing in the genre.

Steve

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2008 08:57AM
The title of the book is DHALGREN, actually.

Date: 27 October, 2008 09:05AM
Sorry - fingers faster than brain.

Dhalgren, in hindsight, reminds me of "The Journal of Albion Moonlight" by Kenneth Patchen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page