Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Weird Fiction horror comp+Von Dooms CD
Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2003 10:24AM
Hello fright-fans,
Watch out this summer for a horror music compilation on Valiant Death Records featuring songs about REH, HPL, and CAS, as well as horror in general. Also, the new Von Dooms CD is out, 11 songs of horror punk, psychotronic schlock rock, and Lovecraftian rock to kill yourself over. Only $6 at valiantdeath.com

Re: Weird Fiction horror comp+Von Dooms CD
Posted by: Dr. W.C. Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2003 09:55AM
The whirring sound is produced by the extremely high level of RPM's achieved by
HPL rolling over in his grave -
Dr. F

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2003 06:10PM
LOL! Bravo, Dr. F.! I'm suspect, though, that you might find my electro-acoustic piece in honor of CAS, entitled *Ubbo-Sathla, to be no less "blasphemous". I think that at least the overt weirdness of electro-acoustic/electronic music matches the spirit of HPL and CAS a little better than commonplace rock 'n' roll, but ultimately I leave that for others to decide. In the meantime, the search both to hear (and perhaps to create?) the music of Erich Zann continues!

P.S. Thanks for forwarding the word list; I got a kick out of it.

Date: 23 April, 2003 02:35PM
Well, maybe HPL would roll over in his grave, but I also know that he was never a snob. We all have our own ways of paying tribute to the horror masters. I imagine you might say the same thing about the music of Erich Zann. I don't mean to come off too harshly, but I really get tired of this kind of attitude.
Those of you willing to give something new a chance, should check out the CD. Also, try giving something a look before you jump all over it.

Date: 23 April, 2003 04:48PM
Quote:
Well, maybe HPL would roll over in his grave, but I also know that he was never a snob.

LOL! You really don't know much about Lovecraft, do you?

Quote:
I don't mean to come off too harshly, but I really get tired of this kind of attitude.

I don't mean to come off too harshly, but I really get tired of spammers and trolls coming here, peddling their cheesy wares, and then copping an attitude when someone calls them on it. I've never advertised my musical endeavors here, and, unlike you, I actually post in this forum from time to time on the subject of Clark Ashton Smith.

Anyway, that's all for me on this one. Feed the trolls too much, and it only encourages them.

Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2003 05:47PM
I allow the odd (I have seen 2) advertising posts here as long as they are CAS related - of course i do expect a free copy:-D

I decline to comment on the merit of the work till i hear it.

I would be interested in comments on the new concordances (off the writting index page) if any one would care to take a look.

Kevin if your musical endevours are cas\lovecraft relaterd please do post - some of us dont get out much theses days.

B.

Date: 23 April, 2003 07:01PM
I know plenty about HPL, and I know that he took the time to at least be polite to those who admired his stuff, even if they weren't as talented as him. I didn't intend to spam, I just thought that since there were going to be some Clark Ashton Smith inspired songs on the CD that some people here might be interested.
I didn't get any money from working on this stuff, in fact I have done nothing but lose money on it. I just did it because I love weird fiction, so I wouldn't exactly call it "peddling my wares". Kevin, I don't want to get into a long argument about all of this, maybe you are right and I should have taken a little more time to get to know the community before I posted. I didn't mean my response to be an attack, though I kind of perceived those of you and the Dr. to be one on me. Maybe I was a little snotty though, and I'm sorry. I can see how it looked kind of bad. Friends?

Date: 23 April, 2003 07:13PM
Boyd:

Fair enough; it is your site, after all. I assume that you don't mind those of us who object to this sort of thing to weigh in, as well, though. In my opinion, the fit between the commercial post and the site's subject matter should be very tight, indeed, and ideally should bring us news of newly published work by or about CAS, himself. Perhaps it is narrow-minded of Dr. F. and me to razz this compilation without hearing it, but (speaking only for myself), as I dislike most rock 'n' roll, and all punk, I have no hesitation about expressing my distaste for it in advance. I suppose that what really galls me in this case that a spammer would come here, spam us, and then take offense when others object to it or otherwise express derogatory opinions about the spam in question. Just my two cents, as the saying goes. It's certainly not a major polemical issue, nor do I mean to turn it into such.

Speaking of distasteful music, I'm posting this information only because you asked: My project is called Bestia Centauri. My debut CD-R is called Ubbo-Sathla; I also contributed to a tribute compilation CD-R dedicated to Lovecraft called The Outsider. Further information and music samples are available at www.somnambulantcorpse.com and http://www.aferecords.com/mp3/beneath_exsanguinated_suns.mp3. Only those who enjoy, for lack of a better term, avant-garde electronic music (in particular, non-rhythmic dark ambient and electro-acoustic music) are likely to find any value in this work. There! Now I feel like a proper hypocrite! ;-)

Date: 23 April, 2003 07:20PM
Jim:

To me, yes, it did look bad because you had not posted in this forum before. On the other hand, as I mentioned, I'm just expressing my opinion on the subject. It's Boyd's site, and his rules are the ones that count.

Quote:
Friends

Ultimately, any true friend of CAS's and HPL's is a friend of mine.

Date: 23 April, 2003 07:27PM
Kevin,

Again, I apologize. I am fairly new to the computer world, and I didn't realize that this kind of thing was looked down on. I just didn't know a better way to get the word out to CAS fans. I will continue to post on here, and I look forward to talking to all of you more. I am a true friend of HPL and CAS (and REH), so I'll consider you a friend as well. I won't post anymore ads though, lest the shoggoths drag me down into some nameless abyss;-) Maybe we could work out a CD trade or something. Even if you hate punk, this is punk with a lot of weird effects, and not like the standard stuff.

Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2003 07:59PM
Kevin - unlike some I allow any free expression here.:-P

I just expect free copies of comercial products flogged on the site.

Date: 23 April, 2003 08:01PM
Jim:

Thanks, but honestly, you don't owe me any kind of apology. I'm just another forum member, and not an especially prolific contrbutor, at that. Boyd is the site owner. He stated his policy, and that's all there is to it, so far as I'm concerned. So, if if your subsequent ads are CAS-related, then post away. As I mentioned, I was just expressing my own opinion about the matter, as was Dr. Farmer. It's obvious from your subsequent posts that you are not the sort of nefarious spammer that I imagined, and I apologize as well for jumping to that conclusion. If you haven't been online very long, however, you'll soon see instances of trolling and spamming in your favorite forums, and perhaps then you'll see why some of us shoot from the hip at the slightest sign of that sort of thing!

Date: 23 April, 2003 08:04PM
Boyd:

Quote:
Kevin - unlike some I allow any free expression here.

LOL! Point well taken!

Posted by: Francis D'Eramo (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2003 08:11PM
In the words of Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along?" I am, as is well known, notoriously non-confrontational, although I think that Free Expression is our friend.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2003 09:11PM
While I admit that a lot of contemporary music ain't my bucket of blood, being like Dr. Farmer a lover of classical and opera (did y'all know Dr. Farmer sang opera professionally in the northwest?) every so often I am pleasantly surprised to find something I like has managed to escape from Limbo. Why not post a couple of tracks as MP3 files and let us decide if one taste of the milk is worth buying the whole cow?
Oh, and by the way: HPL's favorite song was "Yes, We Have No Bananas." Can't find out what was Clark's, though... .
Best, Scott Connors

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page