Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What is it with Smith and flowers?
Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2009 04:43PM
People transforming into flowers and other plants is a recurring topic in Smith's fiction. While the theme can, of course, occasionally be found in classical myth, the ARABIAN NIGHTS, and many other places, with Smith it seems a central preoccupation. We are led to ask: Was there some kind of "incident" in his childhood that resulted in this life-long fear of being turned into a flower?

Re: What is it with Smith and flowers?
Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2009 06:33PM
Jojo Lapin X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are led to ask: Was there some
> kind of "incident" in his childhood that resulted
> in this life-long fear of being turned into a
> flower?

In what story does a person turn into a flower? This sounds more like Jack Vance.

Are you being ironic in relation to our last conversation about The Dark Eidolon in the other thread?

Date: 12 January, 2009 12:30AM
Knygatin Wrote:
> In what story does a person turn into a flower?

"A Voyage to Sfanomoë," "The Demon of the Flower," and others.

> This sounds more like Jack Vance.

Good catch! Such a transformation does indeed happen in Vance's novel MASKE: THAERY, perhaps elsewhere as well. I like to think of this as an hommage to Smith.

> Are you being ironic in relation to our last
> conversation about The Dark Eidolon in the other
> thread?

Yes, this is all about you!

Date: 12 January, 2009 05:16AM
Jojo Lapin X Wrote:
> "A Voyage to Sfanomoë," "The Demon of the
> Flower," and others.

Those stories are not about transformations into flowers. The lifeforms described are separate intities, competing with other life forms, such as man, for dominion. It's one of the basic struggles in Nature. For A Voyage to Sfanomoë for example, perhaps Smith was inspired by his own continous efforts in keeping the grounds free from weeds and tall grass and preventing these from taking over.

> Yes, this is all about you!

It seems to me that you very quickly drop out of a discussion, like when we discussed spirituality and recently about sources of inspiration for The Dark Eidolon. Instead of sticking to your standpoint, using more arguments to convince me I am wrong. Why don't you directly answer my reasonings and questions, instead of being sarcastic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12 Jan 09 | 05:21AM by Knygatin.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2009 04:33PM
The Garden of Adompha fellows - is the one that comes to mind -
As to Clark's interest in the resemblance to flowers - you're gonna love this -
His mother's favorites were pansies - and when "Lil Abner" the cartoon strip started, his mother was "Pansy Yokum" and she was drawn in such a fashion that with her beat up old hat, she resembled the shape of a Pansy. this cartoon strip ended up in a delightful broadway musical, originally starring Peter Palmer, Stubby Kay, and several extremely well-stacked starlets - I doubt that Clark saw the movie version, but it was (Until Pogo 'Possum - which he loved-- ) was the most popular comic strip in America. There is no fear in this business, more a wry commentary that those things which appear charming and harmless, may not be so innocent. - being fooled by appearances often happens in his writings.

Date: 12 January, 2009 04:55PM
Interesting, thanks!

"The Seed From the Sepulcher" is arguably another one.

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2009 06:04PM
Poisonous, lethal flowers are a well-worn Decadent theme, and are hardly original to CAS. The "human as poisonous garden produce" theme dates at least to Hawthorne's "Rappaccini's Daughter". I suspect that others might find even more esoteric potential sources, though demonstrating that CAS actually read them would be another matter.

Date: 12 January, 2009 06:17PM
Kyberean Wrote:
> Poisonous, lethal flowers are a well-worn Decadent
> theme, and are hardly original to CAS.

Oh, absolutely! But we are speaking here specifically of the "man into flower or plant" theme.

Date: 12 January, 2009 06:42PM
I forgot to add that one also finds stories on this theme in Ovid's Metamorphoses and in The Faerie Queene. Now, I'll try to ransack my memory for any specific Decadent or Pre-Raphaelite treatments of the theme, as well.

Date: 13 January, 2009 03:04AM
The Flower-Woman.

calonlan Wrote:
> ...things which appear charming and harmless,
> may not be so innocent. - being fooled by
> appearances often happens in his writings.

Beauty, and mimicing, in Nature, is often a way of deceiving prey.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2009 05:06PM
Maidens transforming into trees to protect their virginity is found in the works of the ancient mythographers - an occasional young man is salvaged this way too -
Somewhat akin, is the old willow ingesting the hobbits, rescued then by Tom Bombadil -

Re Clark's reading - I can verify absolutely that Clark read Hawthorne, besides the fact that Hawthorne was read regularly in school, and in the late 1800's, 5hgraders could read, -- Clark also had enjoyed "House of Seven Gables" with a very young Vincent Price - I think Price's first venture into the somewhat (CAS usage) arcane.
Rappacini came up one evening when the discussion came around to Weaver in the Vault (no particular connection, I just remember the conversation cruising by several matters from that era).

Date: 13 January, 2009 07:24PM
Quote:
Maidens transforming into trees to protect their virginity is found in the works of the ancient mythographers [...]

Indeed, and one sees it in the work of painters illustrating the myths, too. Click here for a favorite painting of mine in this vein.

Oh, and just to be clear: I have no doubt that CAS read Hawthorne. My statement about proving that CAS read certain authors was meant to be taken with my comment about even more obscure potential sources than Hawthorne. Even in the decadent era of my schooling, we read Hawthorne, and I well remember the impact that my classroom reading of "The Minister's Black Veil" had upon me.

Posted by: Ken K. (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2009 04:50PM
Smith might also have come across this idea in reading the stories of William Hope Hodgson--specifically, The Boats of the "Glen Carrig" and A Voice in the Night.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page