Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Where to find excellent editors and proof readers
Posted by: OConnor,CD (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2009 02:07PM
It can be said that all of us, in some way, are bad at certain things. In almost every profession there is one thing we fall up short on. For me it is the grammar side of writing and sentence structure. In ones writing career where do they find a good editor to help them along the way; fixing up their work, not changing it.

How can I find one? Any sites, suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Re: Where to find excellent editors and proof readers
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 1 March, 2009 03:29PM
look for a book by Kate Turabian - it is the classic on grammar and footnoting, all the nit pick stuff. That's a start - If you have a friend who will read your stuff back to you aloud, who has never seen the text before (or just as well, some teenager), you will find that they read what they see word by word, - that will allow you to catch many errors - when I taught a 1000 years ago, I would take a kid's essay and read it to him - he would hear his run on sentences and other errors and stop me:"that's not what it says!" - Oh yes it is, - then I could point out to him that the purpose of punctuation is to make your writing sound like speech - it has to make sense - it will also help you to learn a little German - get inside grammar, see how it works - same for Latin.
"Puella Pulchar illa gluteum maximum magnam bonum habet!"
literal: girl pretty that, muscle great large good has
translate - That cute chick has really great buns!

Date: 1 March, 2009 03:30PM
look for a book by Kate Turabian - it is the classic on grammar and footnoting, all the nit pick stuff. That's a start - If you have a friend who will read your stuff back to you aloud, who has never seen the text before (or just as well, some teenager), you will find that they read what they see word by word, - that will allow you to catch many errors - when I taught a 1000 years ago, I would take a kid's essay and read it to him - he would hear his run on sentences and other errors and stop me:"that's not what it says!" - Oh yes it is, - then I could point out to him that the purpose of punctuation is to make your writing sound like speech - it has to make sense - it will also help you to learn a little German - get inside grammar, see how it works - same for Latin.
"Puella Pulchra illa gluteum maximum magnum bonum habet!"
literal: girl pretty that, muscle great large good has
translate - That cute chick has really great buns!

Date: 1 March, 2009 03:32PM
sorry for the double entry - had to correct my Latin - must have agreement in number, gender, and case

Case in point1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page