Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
August Derleth's non-Mythos work?
Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 1 May, 2009 06:11AM
I've been tempted to dip into August Derleth's non-Mythos/non-genre fiction and was wondering where the best place to start would be? Which is best: his Wisconsin stories or his Sac Prairie stories? If so which ones are best and do they need to be read chronologically? I've Googled but there seems precious little about them or him that can find, which seems a shame.

Thanks in advance!

Re: August Derleth's non-Mythos work?
Posted by: Ken K. (IP Logged)
Date: 1 May, 2009 01:48PM
Sorry, E.A., can't help you in regards to Derleth's regional fiction. What I can recommend are his non-mythos supernatural stories, which, in my opinion are far more enjoyable to read than his extensions of Lovecraft.

Posted by: mikehunchback (IP Logged)
Date: 4 May, 2009 08:51AM
Although I've never read any of them, I've always been interested in the Solar Pons adventures. I actually haven't read much Derleth (mainly due to not being totally wild over what I have read). I do find his book "Wisconsin Murders" very fascinating, in which Derleth's strong rather carelessly under-researched opinion booms very loudly.

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 7 May, 2009 05:31PM
Weird coincidence- my dad has a copy lying here of a non-fiction book by Derleth on Emerson: entitled Emerson, Contemporary. Collier Press, 1970. Hardcover w/ DJ, 168 pages. Ex.-library edition.

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 8 May, 2009 11:50AM
Some of Derleth's Sac Prairie works are very worth a look, and more interesting (to me) than his weird fiction. That said, it's been years since I've read them and they tend to get grouped in my mind as one massive work so I can't recommend this book or that.

Frank Utpatel illustrated several of them, and I always love his art. I have a book signed by Derleth & Utpatel (two of them actually) that I need to dig out and re-browse.

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2009 01:20PM
Thanks for the advice. I've picked up a cheap copy of When Graveyards Yawn on ebay to check on his non-mythos horror. I'll keep my eyes peeled for his non-genre stuff in general.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page