Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Build A CAS-Like Vocabulary The Free Rice Way!
Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2009 11:56AM
Free Rice

Believe me, if your vocabulary levels are strong enough to get to the advanced levels of this little game, then your vocabulary skills will soon approach those of CAS, himself.

Re: Build A CAS-Like Vocabulary The Free Rice Way!
Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2009 01:15PM
I played around with that years ago. It was a disappointment. My vocabulary skills are already similar to those of CAS, and words like "cerement" and "menstruum" are simply not in the game.

Date: 10 May, 2009 01:23PM
I suggest that you try it again. It's changed even since I last used it, around 1- 1/2 years ago. It now has up to sixty vocabulary levels, and I'll wager that it will challenge even you, now. ;-)

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2009 01:12PM
It turns out the word "menstruum" is, after all, in the game. No sign of "cerement," though.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2009 02:54PM
I am not remotely into playing electronic games, though I hardly begrudge the fun for those who do - however, in case any one out there has children or grandchildren who may one day face the SAT - reading CAS is an excellent way to help prepare and www.lexfiles.com where a friend of mine (retired English teacher to GI kids in Germany)has a delightful site on etymology - scroll to the bottom and click on the "basic 14), print this, give it to the kids, and tell them to master the prefixes and roots therein -- if successful, they will acquire the skill to decode over 140,000 Latin based words in English. Better still, get them in a Latin class.

Date: 12 May, 2009 05:07PM
JoJo Lapin X:

No, I haven't yet found cerement there, either, but I have encountered a plethora of other oddities, including raddle, which is also a "CAS word".

It's interesting, by the way, that cerement derives in part from the Latin cera, for wax. It seems that shrouds were once sealed with wax, hence the derivation.

Calonlan:

This is not merely a game, but a charity. It's also a lot of fun, and a challenge, I find! I am all for whatever can increase one's vocabulary, including the method that you mention.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page