Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
An Update On CAS's Latest Activities
Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2009 09:41AM
I was gratified to learn recently that Clark Ashton Smith has not allowed his bodily death to interfere with his continuing activities. No, I do not mean that he has somehow continued to publish volume after volume from beyond the grave, a la V.C. Andrews. Rather, CAS appears to be in post-mortem contact with a favored few. According to Kenneth Grant, in his book Cults of the Shadow,

Quote:
Clark Ashton Smith (1893-1961) a California artist who was one of the major visual interpreters of the Lovecraftian Mythos [citation omitted]. It is claimed by the Lovecraftian Coven that Smith is now working with Les Ophites--a Sect of the Black Snake Cult--from the "other side".

Les Ophites, eh? I wonder how all those dead Auburnian rattlesnakes feel about that?

At any rate, I am glad to know that CAS managed to evade St. Peter and the pearly gates, and that he has found more congenial company "in worlds of otherwhere"!

Re: An Update On CAS's Latest Activities
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2009 10:20AM
How amusing -- Clark despised Snakes -- though he appreciated the Egyptian fascination, and recognized the wisdom tradition (ie - the Python) - tha location of his cabin abounded in Rattlesnakes, though his dad and he kept the immediate area clear of them - most of his talc came from a railroad cut near Rattlesnake Bar (also one of the richest of the Mother Lode areas) - it was a great swimming spot under the bridge there and now is under Folsom Lake. If Clark were mystically floating about, it would be in a revival of the Hercules-Melkarth cult, or perhaps a new edition of the hebrew Onager cult, so he could be a literal "ass-kicker", as there were many he would like to have seen kicked in his day.

Date: 29 July, 2009 05:47PM
I hope that Scott Connors sees this little anecdote, as it might make an amusing addition to his CAS biography, if he hasn't seen the reference, already.

Anyway, I am glad that you enjoyed the reference, Calonlan; I find it amusing, as well. It seems that Lovecraft isn't the only author of weird fiction who has been co-opted by the occultnik lunatic fringe. What's interesting, though, is that Grant refers only to CAS's artwork--which is, I think we would all agree, the least important and enduring of his endeavors--and not to his writing!

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2009 08:17PM
Yes and yes, - I had yet another thought on this:
Clark would have been happy to indulge himself in the Eleusyniab mysteries or the Delphic Oracle - as long as there were lovely nubile creatures cavorting about - In his youth he was always up for joyous "cavort". I recall sharing with him (though he probably already knew it) that the word "Tragedy" is derived from Greek for "goat songs" referring to those very ancient religious celebrations which evolved into Greek Theatre - His response: "Ah, happy Goats!" As usual, brief, and to the point.

Date: 31 July, 2009 01:18PM
*Chuckles* It's funny that you should mention the Ancient Greeks, as later, when I was speculating to myself about which pagan traditions might have appealed to CAS as a participant, I also imagined him whispering from the Oracle into the Pythoness's ear--as you say, that's likely as close as he'd come to the Ophite tradition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page