Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bright clusters
Posted by: J. B. Post (IP Logged)
Date: 7 October, 2009 08:30AM
I seem to have started a thread mentioning Azathoth gnawing hungrily. For HPL images applicable to astronomy, how about "Bright clusters of dimensioned space" and the rest of the verse with "neither time nor matter stretched before me, But only Chaos, without form or place" as poetic descriptions of going back to the Big Bang? And let's not forget "Nemesis" with whirling "at the dawning, When the sky was a vaporous flame" as description based on what was science in his day? Can someone pull up Smith (or Howard) quotes in the same vein?

J. B. Post
<jbpost2@verizon.net>

Re: Bright clusters
Posted by: J. B. Post (IP Logged)
Date: 7 October, 2009 08:37AM
Oh, let me add something to the message. A couple of years ago while in West Virginai, I was at the radio astronomy complex near Greenbank and the museum had some radio signals from quasars converted into sound. Damned if one of them didn't have a Latin beat. Maybe converting some of these radio signals to sound will give us the drumming and mad flute playing described by HPL.

J. B. Post

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 8 October, 2009 03:00AM
J. B. Post Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A couple
> of years ago while in West Virginai, I was at the
> radio astronomy complex near Greenbank and the
> museum had some radio signals from quasars
> converted into sound. Damned if one of them
> didn't have a Latin beat. Maybe converting some
> of these radio signals to sound will give us the
> drumming and mad flute playing described by HPL.
>
> J. B. Post

That's the right spirit! You use your brain in a healthy manner. The mind should function and reflect upon the writings of Lovecraft, CAS, and others, as if it is the real world. Why otherwise should we be reading them? Occupying the mind with mundane wordly details and affairs is unbearably boring and an utter waste of time.

I myself, when walking by the shore, sometimes stop and look into the green-blue depths of kelp gardens, and let myself become hypnotized by their dancing movements. Raise my eyes over the more distant sea and start chanting and yielding for the Deep Ones to come and fetch me. It sets me in a trance, and enriches the rest of my day!

Or out at night, I can fix on a particular star, wait, and half-expect, for its unique energy wave lengths to subtly affect my mind in some novel direction.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 8 October, 2009 09:30AM
Knygatin Wrote:
> Or out at night, I can fix on a particular star,
> wait, and half-expect, for its unique energy wave
> lengths to subtly affect my mind in some novel
> direction.

Many of my most satisfying killing sprees have been triggered in exactly this fashion!

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 8 October, 2009 06:44PM
Quote:
Many of my most satisfying killing sprees have been triggered in exactly this fashion!

Oh, really?

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 8 October, 2009 07:20PM
Kyberean Wrote:
> Many of my most satisfying killing sprees have
> been triggered in exactly this fashion!
>
> Oh, really?

The Infernal Star fragment is great!

Jack Vance has also somehow encompassed this particular circumstance. One of his short story collections is called Light From a Lone Star. And one novel is called Night Lamp (poetic comparison! The title refers to a star hanging all alone, without companions or neighbours, in a vast expanse of empty space).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 8 Oct 09 | 07:22PM by Knygatin.

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 9 October, 2009 08:18AM
I actually prefer CAS's handling of the "malign star" theme in "The Devotee of Evil", myself, but The Infernal Star is an intriguing work. In any case, let's hope that Jojo steers clear of the latter's influence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page