Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Edgar Allan Poe getting proper funeral
Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2009 03:30PM
Greetings All,

This is my first post. My name is Cathexis and I'm very new to CAS but not to
HPL or REH. I'm a reader not a writer and I thought some might enjoy reading
this news story on Mr. Poe who was a big influence on Klarkash-Ton, IIRC.

Enjoy!

Cathexis

Begin Paste:

Edgar Allan Poe getting proper funeral

Ben Nuckols ASSOCIATED PRESS

BALTIMORE | For Edgar Allan Poe, 2009 has been a better year than 1849. After dozens of events in several cities to mark the 200th anniversary of his birth, he's about to get the grand funeral that a writer of his stature should have received when he died.

One hundred sixty years ago, the beleaguered, impoverished Poe was found, delirious and in distress outside a Baltimore tavern. He was never coherent enough to explain what had befallen him since leaving Richmond a week earlier. He spent four days in a hospital before he died at age 40.

Poe's cousin, Neilson Poe, never announced his death publicly. Fewer than 10 people attended the hasty funeral for one of the 19th century's greatest writers. And the injustices piled on. Poe's tombstone was destroyed before it could be installed, when a train derailed and crashed into a stonecutter's yard. Rufus Griswold, a Poe enemy, published a vitriolic obituary that damaged Poe's reputation for decades.

But on Sunday, Poe's funeral will get an elaborate do-over, with two services expected to draw about 350 people each - the most a former church next to his grave can hold. Actors portraying Poe's contemporaries and other long-dead writers and artists will pay their respects, reading eulogies adapted from their writings about Poe.

"We are following the proper etiquette for funerals. We want to make it as realistic as possible," said Jeff Jerome, curator of the Poe House and Museum.

Advance tickets are sold out, although Mr. Jerome will make some seats available at the door to ensure packed houses. Fans are traveling from as far away as Vietnam.

The funeral is arguably the splashiest of a year's worth of events honoring the 200th anniversary of Poe's birth. Along with Baltimore - where he spent some of his leanest years in the mid-1830s - Poe lived in or has strong connections to Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Richmond.

With the funeral angle covered, the Edgar Allan Poe Museum in Richmond staged a re-enactment last weekend of his death. Those with a more academic interest in Poe can attend the Poe Studies Association's annual conference from Thursday through Sunday in Philadelphia.

Baltimore has a decided advantage over the other cities that lay claim to Poe, notes Baltimore Museum of Art director Doreen Bolger. "We have the body," she said.

Re: Edgar Allan Poe getting proper funeral
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2009 08:57AM
I suspect old Uncle Edgar and Clark Ashton on perched somewhere between Canopus and Aldebaran downing a demerara of "Old Intergalactic"(the rum of choice for Star Treaders) and enjoying the spectacle - I hope their choice of an actor to portray EAP at least looks a little like him.

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2009 04:28PM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -I hope their choice of an actor to
> portray EAP at least looks a little like him.

Jeffrey Combs had a remarkable resemblance to Poe in Stuart Gordon's The Black Cat, in Masters of Horror.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: 13 October, 2009 09:59AM
Gavin Callaghan Wrote:
> calonlan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > -I hope their choice of an actor to
> > portray EAP at least looks a little like him.
>
> Jeffrey Combs had a remarkable resemblance to Poe
> in Stuart Gordon's The Black Cat, in Masters of
> Horror.
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> -Combs/dp/B000PWQP9I

quite right, but who might they get now - perhaps like in "Plan 9 from Planet X (starring in this 'worst film ever' was my cousin, stage name Gregory Walcott, real name Bernard Mattox - affectionately down home, "Barnyard"), in which after Bela Lugosi died, Mr. Woods replaced him with a dentist and distance shots.

Date: 13 October, 2009 05:43PM
calonlan Wrote:
>Plan 9 from Planet X (starring in this
> 'worst film ever' was my cousin, stage name
> Gregory Walcott, real name Bernard Mattox -
> affectionately down home, "Barnyard")

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am a huge Ed Wood-fan.... Watching Wood's films, you can tell he grew up on nothing but a steady diet of comic books, science-fiction, horror films, and movie serials, all mixed together into some crazy new concoction.

The plot of Plan 9 was later stolen/lifted for the film Invisible Invaders- and some people cite Invisible Invaders, in turn, as the direct inspiration for Romero's Night of the Living Dead- which in turn became the most influential modern horror film of its time..............

Date: 16 October, 2009 09:54PM
Gavin Callaghan Wrote:
> calonlan Wrote:
> >Plan 9 from Planet X (starring in this
> > 'worst film ever' was my cousin, stage name
> > Gregory Walcott, real name Bernard Mattox -
> > affectionately down home, "Barnyard")
>
> Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am a huge Ed Wood-fan....
> Watching Wood's films, you can tell he grew up on
> nothing but a steady diet of comic books,
> science-fiction, horror films, and movie serials,
> all mixed together into some crazy new
> concoction.
>
> The plot of Plan 9 was later stolen/lifted for the
> film Invisible Invaders- and some people cite
> Invisible Invaders, in turn, as the direct
> inspiration for Romero's Night of the Living Dead-
> which in turn became the most influential modern
> horror film of its time..............

I have a retrospective on "Greg's" corpus - includes lots of Bonanza episodes, movies with his close buddy,
Clint Eastwood (got to Hollywood about the same time), his most well known role was as a tough drill sergeant, did a detective show (forgettable - but I'm told popular still in Europe, don't remember the name) but Plan 9 is what he is remembered for because of the Wood following - it is truly wonderfully awful - my son is a big Bruce Campbell fan, and has a "sit at the counter and react" role in some film of his - I have bought him an autographed book of Campbell's (or about him - don't remember) and yesterday bought him an autographed bobble-head of Bruce in his "Dead" character - chain saw on arm - Campbell rarely autographs anything, but the owner of the bookstore I have mentioned here elsewhere, went to school with close buddy of Bruce's and was able to get them for him -

Date: 29 October, 2009 04:56PM
Saw Walcott in a Kojak episode two days ago- he played the villain. His southern drawl was more pronounced here than it was in Plan 9.

Moontrap is an interesting Bruce Campbell film- low budget sci-fi with a Von Daniken-type theme, ancient human civilizations on the moon.

Date: 30 October, 2009 06:14AM
Wasn't that the one with Wlater Koenig?
Saw it many moons ago - it was OK.

Cathexis

Date: 30 October, 2009 04:54PM
That's the one---

Date: 3 November, 2009 11:49AM
"Moontrap" has been posted on alt.binaries.vintage-film.post-1960 if you're into Usenet.
Through Amazon.com it is VHS only so this is a good chance to grab a digital version you
can burn to DVD. If you don't know what Usenet is then forget I mentioned it.

Cathexis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page