Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Italian translation work on this site is over?
Posted by: henry178 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2009 12:37PM
Hello everyone, I'm Enrico from Italy. I see that the project of translating in Italia part of the hole work of Ashton Smith is in fact over...is it true or just my impression? It would be really a pity, C.A.S should be known everywere. Could anybody tell me more about it? Thanks!
Enrico

Re: Italian translation work on this site is over?
Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2009 05:39PM
Hello Enrico,

I am not the translator but I do know that a majority of our translations on the website come from fans across the globe. From what I've seen, they are sent to the site out of love rather than any formal project. So if there has not been any translations recently, it is not because we are not interested but likely because nothing has been sent in recently.

If there is any story or poem you would really like to see translated, maybe you can mention it here on the forum and some of the translators might see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26 Oct 09 | 05:40PM by NightHalo.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2009 09:21AM
NightHalo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Enrico,
>
> I am not the translator but I do know that a
> majority of our translations on the website come
> from fans across the globe. From what I've seen,
> they are sent to the site out of love rather than
> any formal project. So if there has not been any
> translations recently, it is not because we are
> not interested but likely because nothing has been
> sent in recently.
>
> If there is any story or poem you would really
> like to see translated, maybe you can mention it
> here on the forum and some of the translators
> might see.

Good suggestion for Enrico - better yet Enrico, do it yourself - why not!

Date: 27 October, 2009 09:52AM
>
>
> Good suggestion for Enrico - better yet Enrico, do
> it yourself - why not!

Thanks to NightHalo and calonlan for your reply: well it could be a good idea to make a personal translation but it could be better (for my personal limits in this ability) to collaborate with someone else...

Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2009 01:48PM
You might want to have a secondary e-mail listed for the site just in case it takes them awhile to see. When the mail was a little cheaper, I sent photocopies of some related poetry out to Italy...so I know there are a few Italians lurking around here too.

Date: 27 October, 2009 02:23PM
Oh...sorry, I realize now my address was hidden: I've just made it visible! So...
Se qualche italiano fosse disposto a collaborare, mi contatti pure al mio indirizzo henry978@live.it!

Posted by: andrea bonazzi (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2009 05:35PM
Indeed, there was no project about a systematic translation. Something was already published on Italian fanzines, something was made just for the sake to share it.
To made a really good translation, is a demanding task. Simply, someone that in the recent past proposed CAS' poetry in Italian version here on The Eldritch Dark, has now other priorities in life, maybe just engaged by his everyday's activities.

And Italian publishers have a long tradition about stolen, unauthorized, unpayed or underpayed translations... So, through the Internet, you can risk to find your translations exploited by others, even in print. This is rather disheartening.

Ciao,
Andrea

Date: 28 October, 2009 05:56AM
Thanks so much Andrea for your reply, it furter clarifies the actual situation. Maybe some italian translator on this board can take in consideration the idea of coming back to translate something more, after knowing someone else (me, in this case) is helpful for this task. Ciao!
Enrico

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2009 08:02PM
If you do a translation off site, just use the poor man's copyright - by registered mail, send yourself a copy, and do not open it -
Then put it where you please, online if you like - if it is stolen, sue the pants off of them since you can prove yourself the original author - always, if you send it to this site add "copyright protected" - and that should discourage most thieves

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 29 October, 2009 09:46AM
Sorry to dumb down the conversation, but I'm not sure how CAS could be translated into another language effectively at all, what with his exotic vocabularly and precise use of each word. I'd think any translation would be inferior at best? But perhaps the same could be said for most writers who are translated into other languages. Sorry to interrupt!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29 Oct 09 | 11:11AM by Roger.

Date: 30 October, 2009 05:20PM
Hi Roger, I think there's no objection with what you write, but we must remember that translation is essential for those who have not a deep knowledge of English language.

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 30 October, 2009 11:49PM
Oh, I agree. And if I read only English-language writers, and nothing translated into English, I'd be missing out too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page