Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
FYI: CAS original painting on ebay
Posted by: garymorris (IP Logged)
Date: 9 November, 2009 12:30PM
Hi folks,

Just noticed there's a CAS original painting for sale on ebay, a rather nice "primitive," as the ad calls it. From the Lin Carter collection, "obtained from his widow." Price is $2,800, unfortunately out of my budget. It's up for 23 days, and may become a "Best Offer" item if it doesn't sell.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-CLARK-ASHTON-SMITH-Color-Primitive-Art-Framed_W0QQitemZ270479532752QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMagazines?hash=item3ef9d622d0][/url]

Gary Morris

Re: FYI: CAS original painting on ebay
Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 9 November, 2009 04:22PM
Nice catch, Gary.

Too bad but it seems to be "Buy it Now" only.

Cathexis

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 9 November, 2009 04:35PM
I'm not a big fan of Smith's art but I quite like this one. But no money...

Date: 9 November, 2009 04:42PM
I hear you, Assassin. I'm pinching every penny in sight to raise the $$$ to get the upcoming Jack Vance "CVIE" - his total output in six pricey volumes (based on the Vance Integral Edition)! Thank god I already have the first four CAS volumes from Night Shade and have pre-ordered the fifth. Some writers are worth suffering for.

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2009 04:43AM
garymorris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear you, Assassin. I'm pinching every penny in sight to raise the $$$ to get the upcoming Jack Vance "CVIE"
> - his total output in six pricey volumes (based on the Vance Integral Edition)!

The IE is going to be reprinted -- any more info on that somewhere? I learned about the IE after the fact, and although I haven't read too much Vance, I was so impressed by the effort that had the project not already been completed, I'd seriously have thought about subscribing.

Juha-Matti

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2009 04:55AM
Found it: [www.aftonhousebooks.com]

Sorry about going OT.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2009 02:14PM
walrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Found it: [www.aftonhousebooks.com]
>
> Sorry about going OT.

Nono, that was welcome. I would have missed it completely otherwise (probably can't afford it anyway, but still...).

Date: 12 November, 2009 11:52PM
Maybe I had an impact?

I had said earlier, "too bad it's Buy-it-now only."

The cite has since been edited so now it includes below But-it-Now
to also say, " or Make Offer ".

(Now how do I sneak this past the wife?)

Cathexis

Date: 12 November, 2009 11:57PM
Perhaps the wife is due for a visit to Mother?

Date: 13 November, 2009 12:32PM
"You know, honey - do you believe in dreams? I had the weirdest dream last nite.
Your Mom had fallen - and she couldn't get up! She was calling your name too.
I'v got a ton of work to do this weekend but if you want to go up to vist it
might be a good idea and I'll be around the house if you want to leave the kids with me."

Date: 13 November, 2009 12:43PM
And be sure to add, "And there's no way I'll be spending a small fortune on a Clark Ashton Smith primitive painting on ebay in your absence."

Date: 17 November, 2009 01:00PM
Ooops!

Checked again and now it's back on Buy-it-Now only status.

Fess up, Gary.
Are you somehow chanelling - what we both know would be - my wife's wishes to the Seller?

Very Cacodemonical,

Cathexis

Date: 17 November, 2009 01:26PM
Cathexis,

Ha! For my next trick, I'll channel the seller and make him cut the price in half! (I wish.)

Cacodemoniacal is one of my favorite crazy HPL-type words, along with the immortal eldritch, of course... or should it be cacodaemoniacal? I'll have to buy that Dan Clore book to find out the answer to this pressing question.

Gary

Date: 17 November, 2009 03:23PM
FWIW,

"Wiktionary" allows for both. But I would concede that CAS and HPL would prefer the daemonic over the demonic.

[en.wiktionary.org]

A little useless trivia: In the early 90's I knew a company tech. rep. for H-P who showed me a lot about
computers. If you are knowledgeable on same as an example he used to take Assembly language Programming
courses - for fun! Anyway, he was the one who introduced the word "daemon" to me. I saw it showing up on
screens when H-P PC's were booted up. He explained that a daemon was a program which would lay dormant,
that is "lurking" until a set of events would "summon" it to perform its' code function(s). This was using
the old H-P version of Unix.

I still have my well-worn copy of, "The Hacker's Dictionary, 2nd Edit." from 1993 and it also carries a listing
for "daemon" which confirms that usage. I don't think anybody cares about that book anymore because it describes
a geek-culture built around deep technical knowledge of computers as tools which have hidden value as toys to
those who master the archana needed to manipulate them when in fact Users today see them primarily as toys they
are occasionally forced to use in a productive manner. An analogy to the Necronomicon perhaps? But I would still maintain
that "daemon" is NOT an archaic or obscure term but still current in the sense I gave above.

Also, Bill Gates *is* SATAN.

Cathexis

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2009 05:28PM
I still see the term employed when, say, an e-mail bounces back, and, in the header, it reads "mailer-daemon", or suchlike.

As an aside, I'd add that alleged "descriptive" dictionaries are hypocritical and engage in their own version of usage prescription when they use such terms as "archaic" or "obsolete" in their introductions to definitions of certain words.

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page