Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
"Orichalcum" - Richest CAS word? For CAS too?
Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 28 November, 2009 02:44PM
No brilliant comments here,

Just wanted to say that, having just finished "Double Shadow", I was as drawn to Googling "Orichalcum"
as the Double-Shadow was to Pharpetron. What a philology! Even just the Wiki-links to "Hepatizon" and
"Tumbaga" made me want to write my own story if only to find a use for the terms. And of course in the
context of the story it was a superb choice to use. I know the term shows up in "Death of Malygris" as well
and I'm not sure which story came first by composition although obviously "Double Shadow" is the sequel
of sorts. Perhaps he used it elsewhere but it is my first run-in with the word. Besides its other uses in CAS
works there is Platos' "Critias" and other works as well. It is somewhat of a "lost metal" or alloy of the Ancient
World (there are theories) and I can imagine Smith's head spining with all the creative possibilities.
At least mine was.

But all the riffs my fantasies might run with CAS's work don't end there because, according to the "Collected
Fantasies Vol. 3" End-Notes, this story may have been important in CAS's decision to wind down his fictional
output as a result of his struggles to publish the story.

Well, enough said. Now I get to go read it again,

Cathexis

Re: "Orichalcum" - Richest CAS word? For CAS too?
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 30 November, 2009 08:38AM
As you may know from other sources, Double Shadow was considered by Clark to be one of his very best - I concur.
The precision of his usage is one of the joys of reading Smith for many of us -- Double Shadow originally was printed by the the Auburn Jounal in a magazine size on cheap paper with a gray light-weight cover (couple of other tales included) - The copy he gave me is now in the hands of a good friend of CAS work - I treasured it and dog-eared it with reading - but his signature and note make it a memento of some value - I cannot tell you what pleasure it gives me to see you younger folk enjoying Clark's work. I am carried back to his presence, sitting in a plain straight back chair, jaunty beret atop, cigarette holder in his right hand, elbow balanced on his right knee crossed over the left leg, wry smile on his face always just on the edge of a chortle - glass of Loomis Burgunday mixed half with water nearby the left as we shared wonderful conversation hour after hour - how he would have enjoyed you!.
Sorry for the long, sentimental note - but what I see happening here makes me a bit dewy-eyed from time to time, and a bit wistful.

Date: 30 November, 2009 09:51PM
That's a great reply and annecdote. I know very little of the man and have read he was very private.
Nice to know a lack of running water and electricity didn't stop him from enjoying some "vin rouge".
I would've guessed he was more of a bourbon-sipping man from his wry look and brooding words.
You are very fortunate to have those moments to hold onto.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cathexis

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2009 02:41PM
The burgundy we drank was .69c per gallon - bourbon was way beyond his means - of the stronger potions he preferred Rum - though when offered by someone else with deeper pockets, one does not impolitely refuse -
At the Count's place the choice was usually a Screwdriver or Havemeyer's May Wine (Oh to find it again!) -

Date: 1 December, 2009 11:26PM
Well,

When I was a teenager Ripple Wine was .99c a bottle (& it still had the formaldyhyde in it back then!).
That was about 1970, so I get the idea. Who was "the Count" ?

Cathexis

Posted by: deuce (IP Logged)
Date: 3 December, 2009 03:25AM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The burgundy we drank was .69c per gallon -
> bourbon was way beyond his means - of the stronger
> potions he preferred Rum - though when offered by
> someone else with deeper pockets, one does not
> impolitely refuse -
> At the Count's place the choice was usually a
> Screwdriver or Havemeyer's May Wine (Oh to find it
> again!) -

Fascinating anecdote, Calonlan. Actually, I was a bourbon man for a long time. Now, it's burgundy at home and screwdrivers when abroad. REH liked his burgundy as well (amongst numerous other beverages). OTOH, HPL drank nothing but pots of coffee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page