Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
stories of Sorcerers, Necromancers, Wizards, and Witches
Posted by: pitchblack (IP Logged)
Date: 13 December, 2009 02:31PM
Hi, I became a Clark Ashton Smith fan when I read his story The Return of the Sorcerer and I loved it because occult horror stories are my favourite genre. Anyways so far I've read The Colossus of Ylourgne, The Coming of the White Worm, The Dark Eidolon, The Death of Ilalotha, The Death of Malygris, The Door to Saturn, The Double Shadow, The Empire of the Necromancers, The Enchantress of Sylaire, The Flower-Women, The Garden of Adompha, The Last Incantation, The Mandrakes, Mother of Toads, Necromancy in Naat, The Necromantic Tale,The Witchcraft of Ulua, and The Master of the Crabs.

DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW ANYMORE CLARK ASHTON SMITH STORIES THAT ARE ABOUT NECROMANCERS SORCERERS AND OR WIZARDS??? PLEASE HELP ME.

Re: stories of Sorcerers, Necromancers, Wizards, and Witches
Posted by: Madog (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2009 08:41AM
I haven't been here long myself, but I venture to guess that typing a sentence in all upper-case, which is considered yelling, is probably not going to go over very well on a board devoted to literature.

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2009 09:13AM
Wow.

Did this forum get mentioned on some sort of Cthulhu gaming site or the like?

It seems to be heading in new directions?

Date: 15 December, 2009 12:19PM
Oh yeah lol i already tried that many times.

Date: 15 December, 2009 06:34PM
I came across this site doing research for the gazetteer. I was hoping to get some confirmation of my information as I've been very serious about staying true to the source material.

I will say I'm somewhat bemused that an announcement of a new publication on CAS material has received less interest than a grammatically challenged request for bibliography. (Insert bemused smiley here.)

No disrespect to the original poster, but I'm, ah, older than the average gamer. Heck, I'm older than the average *person*.

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2009 08:09PM
Madog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I came across this site doing research for the
> gazetteer. I was hoping to get some confirmation
> of my information as I've been very serious about
> staying true to the source material.
>
> I will say I'm somewhat bemused that an
> announcement of a new publication on CAS material
> has received less interest than a grammatically
> challenged request for bibliography. (Insert
> bemused smiley here.)
>
> No disrespect to the original poster, but I'm, ah,
> older than the average gamer. Heck, I'm older than
> the average *person*.

Well, I'm the dreaded anti-gamer*, as I suspect others here might be, so there might not be a lot of interest in the idea of converting CAS into gamer-friendly capsule descriptions. The beauty of CAS, to me, is the beauty of the language, the poetry in prose, not so much the creatures or locales on their own.

I'll stop commenting on threads where I'm really not helping, so apologies for the hijack!

*clarification: I'm not entirely anti-gaming (and not entirely a snob), but I think that (for example) many of the Cthulhu gamers who came to the games first, and the Lovecraft only after (if at all), sort of miss the whole point, and that would taint my opinion of any future CAS-related gaming, too, fairly or not.

Date: 15 December, 2009 09:26PM
Please less about the gaming and more about what I'm looking for

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2009 09:48PM
pitchblack Wrote:
> Please less about the gaming and more about what
> I'm looking for

about 90% would probably match your criteria, so why not just read them all.

Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2009 11:30PM
Pitchback,

Why don't you try this,... Go here: [www.eldritchdark.com]
Reading these cycles will cover some sorcery stories although you've already hit a bunch of them.

I'm not sure if my URL link made it through as intended or not. It is the very first (oldest) article in the Criticism Section of this site. It was very helpful to me when I was getting starting reading CAS. Another possible "clue" is to look at story titles. The Sci-Fi ones are usually pretty obvious and usually without wizardry.(Sort of). I hope this helps but honestly I think if you're new to CAS like I am it is a hell of a pastime just rolling the dice and seeing what wonders each story has for you.

Enjoy,

Cathexis

Date: 16 December, 2009 01:54AM
You know what, what the hell i think i will just try reading them all. Besides the ones i mentioned I also read alot of his other topics on Sci-Fi and Fantasy and i liked them too so i don't see the harm. thanks.

Posted by: Ken K. (IP Logged)
Date: 16 December, 2009 05:44PM
Dear Pitchblack,

If you need other reading recommendations on the topics of sorcerors and necromancy, just let us know and I'm sure that forum members will flood you with suggestions re. their favorite writers and stories.

Date: 16 December, 2009 09:46PM
Ok but who should i ask?

Date: 21 December, 2009 01:02PM
Roger Wrote:

>
> so there might not be a lot
> of interest in the idea of converting CAS into
> gamer-friendly capsule descriptions. The beauty
> of CAS, to me, is the beauty of the language, the
> poetry in prose, not so much the creatures or
> locales on their own.
> > example) many of the Cthulhu gamers who came to
> the games first, and the Lovecraft only after (if
> at all), sort of miss the whole point, and that
> would taint my opinion of any future CAS-related
> gaming, too, fairly or not.

I'd considered answering this in another thread, but threads drift, and I'm hopeful that pitchblack will enjoy much of CAS's literature and come to learn that professional authors do, indeed, capitalize "I" and end every single sentence with some appropriate form of punctuation.

I think I may be somewhat put off by the reference to "Cthulhu gamer". I had read hundreds of sci-fi and at least a few fantasy novels before I ever gamed - the idea that most people only know LotR through the movies is one I constantly have to remind myself of.

Yes, I agree that the allure of CAS's stories are largely in the prose, and I have made attempts to capture some of the essence of that prose where possible. However, take the critical essay link provided by Cathexis: [www.eldritchdark.com]

Here is an article on Smith's work that contains no artistic prose of its own. However, it's still of interest to the Smith fan - for example, even the analysis of the dates given across the Averoigne cycle can be of use in appreciating the scope of the work. I found it informative and entertaining.

Yes, a teenager who comes to play a Cthulhu game, often having read none of the stories, is going to receive a pale impression of the richness of the HPL universe. That's fine for a gamer with a very casual interest in the source, but is a lousy way to experience said universe. I admit that I was not a CAS fan before my project started (although I had read much of HPL's work and also REH's as well), but even in "game capsule format" I think there is a scholarly bent to my effort that goes beyond just trying to convert a neat book into a game.

I just want people to understand that I'm a middle-aged professional person with decent writing skills, and I have put dozens of hours into a project I take quite seriously - of giving people an opportunity to enjoy CAS's work further without having to duplicate all of my effort.

Some gaming material has no merit on its own, but much of it can be an entertaining read even for those who never intend to game with it. I will be very disappointed if an in-depth analysis of the Averoigne cycle has no more appeal than much of the glut of current gaming-only products.

To be blunt, I wouldn't have to do this if the original author of Castle Amber had done any sort of decent job. I have to wonder just how much of a fan Moldvay was - the more I deal with his cursory treatment of the original material, the more I think he would have been better suited writing shows for the Hallmark channel or adopting classic fiction for Hollywood.

Date: 11 January, 2010 07:52PM
pitchblack Wrote:
> Ok but who should i ask?

Sorry about the long delay in replying, pitchblack--the holidays intervened!

I'd just throw out the question to the Forum at large and let whomever is interested answer. I'll start the ball rolling with a few authors and stories right off the top of my head.

Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook--the first 3 novels in this series are perhaps best described as "gritty, militaristic high-fantasy" but they are also chock-a-block full of sorcerors, malign spells, horrific resurrected beings and, hovering behind everything, the imminent return of a particularly Dark Lord.

What Good is a Glass Dagger? by Larry Niven. Niven's fantasy is as ingenious and logical as his SF. His necromancer, Wavyhill, is scary simply because he's so damn smart.

Dilvish, the Damned and The Changing Land by Roger Zelazny. Just about anything by Zelazny is worth reading, and the Dilvish series is no exception.

And don't forget the classic ghost story writers, as necromancers have a habit of popping up now and then: Lost Hearts, Casting the Runes, and Count Magnus by M. R. James; "He Cometh and He Passeth By" by H. Russell Wakefield; and Out of Copyright by Ramsey Campbell.

Hope these suggestions help.

Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2010 07:13PM
Well,

I'll say, "Thanks, Ken" - as those are new to this Newbie.

Cathexis

Posted by: jelio (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2010 08:23PM
I read Count Magnus recently and i dont recall a necromancer being in it ... hmmm

And now that im thinking about it i feel i have to double check, so i guess ill open it up some time soon.

-Jeremy

Date: 19 January, 2010 08:19PM
You're right, Jeremy--I probably listed it due to the protagonist's inadvertent resurrection of Count Magnus by an unfortunate wish.

Ken

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page