Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: More CAS poetry
Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 6 February, 2010 01:13PM
Thanks for the additional information, Martinus. I thought that the Arkham House volume was the last republication of the poems in prose. Of course, Necronomicon Press is sometimes one of those "if you blinked, then you missed it" small presses.

I was just kidding with my remark about Joshi, by the way. I know that he thinks highly of CAS's poems in prose (and I agree with his dim view of most modern "poetry"). I still just don't understand why those works did not make their way into the complete poetry volumes. The issue should not have been one of permissions, since most of the prose-poems should be in the public domain, I believe.

Anyway, let's hope that someone gets round to doing a thorough and competent job of re-printing the poems in prose. I am sure that the news will quickly find its way here, when or if that happens.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 6 February, 2010 02:17PM
Your welcome. :)

In fact, right after I posted here, I myself sent an e-mail to Necronomicon Press asking for a reprint of Nostalgia of the Unknown.

Date: 6 February, 2010 04:03PM
Excellent. Let us know what Necronomicon Press says, in reply.

By the way, isn't there a piece or two that has been unearthed since the late '80's, as well? I don't have Strange Shadows handy, but I thought that it contained an uncollected "prose pastel" or two.

Date: 6 February, 2010 04:44PM
My apologies for the Freudian typo. I know perfectly well that it is "You're welcome".

You're right; there is a section called "Prose-Poems and Plays" in Strange Shadows. But these were all included in Nostalgia of the Unknown.

Date: 6 February, 2010 04:58PM
Ah, OK. Thanks for that additional information, as well. It sounds, therefore, as if Nostalgia of the Unknown is complete. Let's hope for a reprint, then.

I would add for those who can't wait that used copies of the first edition of Nostalgia of the Unknown are actually not absurdly expensive, based on my Bookfinder search--at least, not too expensive relative to the Arkham volume. The main virtue of the latter is Donald Sidney Fryer's excellent introduction, which contains a fine overview of the prose poem as an art form.

Posted by: Chipougne (IP Logged)
Date: 7 February, 2010 01:58AM
Absquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sounds, therefore, as if Nostalgia of the
> Unknown is complete.

Except, perhaps, for this short piece, A Chinese Fable, discovered a few years ago.

Date: 18 February, 2010 03:02PM
Here's the table of contents for the Weird Tales poetry volume:

[store.pspublishing.co.uk]

And here are the ones for the REH and HPL volumes:

Date: 18 February, 2010 03:04PM
And here is their Donald Sidney-Fryer volume (for some unknown reason the link says "Lovecraft"):

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page