Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dogtown, MA
Posted by: J. B. Post (IP Logged)
Date: 28 December, 2009 06:36AM
A friend has just read DOGTOWN by Elyssa East. She was inspired to visit by the paintings of Marsden Hartley. My friend wonders if HPL knew about Dogtown and if he snuck mention of it in any of his stories. I'm wondering if HPL knew about the paintings of Hartley. Yeah, all these abandoned villages look alike with cellar foundations all that is left so maybe "Colour Out of Space."

Has anyone recently trekked up into the Sierras to check out the locale for the Earthly site of the beginning of CAS's "City of the Singing Flame"?

JBP

Re: Dogtown, MA
Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2009 05:47PM
J. B. Post Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm wondering if HPL knew about the
> paintings of Hartley. Yeah, all these abandoned
> villages look alike with cellar foundations all
> that is left so maybe "Colour Out of Space."

HPL loathed modernism generally (although he himself occasionally made use of modernist techniques in his works.) "Chaotic", "rootless", untraditional, etc. I don't think he would have liked Hartley's works!

> Has anyone recently trekked up into the Sierras
> to check out the locale for the Earthly site of
> the beginning of CAS's "City of the Singing
> Flame"?

That would be interesting. Elsewhere in this forum, someplace, there exists a post I uploaded long ago, regarding the belief (of some) that the remains of Lemuria/Mu exist in the California mountains around Carmel, someplace. Very odd.

I also have a semi-recent issue of FATE magazine, with a supposedly "factual" article about a "dimensional portal" some people supposedly discovered somewhere in the western deserts. I forget where- Nevada or Arizona, I believe. I'll try to find the article. The description of the portal reminded me of CAS's works!

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2010 05:26PM
Finally remembered to look up that article about the supposed trans-dimensional “portal” in the Western deserts: it’s from FATE magazine, March 2006, (pp.18-25), “The Mysterious Plateau” by Ron Quinn:

“Some 30 miles south of Tucson, Arizona, the rugged Tumacacori Mountains rise like a fortress wall…

“My journey into the unknown takes place within these mountains of broken lava rock. The tale begins in mid-1950’s, but it still remains an unsolved mystery.

“During a two-year adventure into this region in search of lost mines and legendary Spanish treasures, my companions and I discovered a strange site that would overshadow any gold. High among these windswept peaks we came upon a plateau that can alter time itself. To this day only several friends know its location….
” (18)

Later, Quinn tells of a “mysterious stone archway” in the desert, located on this isolated plateau, and about native American legends that Indians, in the past, have disappeared inside, never to return. (20) He gives the dimensions of the "columns” of the archway as “seven feet in height by five in width”, and “approximately 15 inches in diameter.“ (21) Apparently, the “archway” has since collapsed (25), and on page 21 of the article, Quinn includes a picture of the “archway” as it is now, which looks like two ruined formations or piles of rock, covered with weeds.

Quinn includes an account of a ranch-hand named John, who claims that during a storm in “1948 or ‘49”, he looked through the archway, and “noticed that the sky through the opening was blue--no clouds were visible.” (20) During a visit in 2003, some others noticed that the old columns had collapsed, but that a new, taller column, which hadn’t been there before, was now standing not far away from the original “archway.” I’d be curious to know if Quinn or “John” had read CAS’s tale, and unconsciously remembered it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 22 Mar 10 | 05:30PM by Gavin Callaghan.

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 22 March, 2010 06:58PM
Gavin,

Take a look at the "Boreal Ridge" thread here, as well, if you haven't yet seen it; you might find it of interest. Indeed, anything you or others might be able to add to clarify this continuing mystery would be most welcome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page