Re: Greetings and a Query
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2010 08:48AM
Omar Redevisti:

A ghostly tale beneath the bow,
A jug of wine, a good pipe, and thou
Waiting upon me hand and foot,
O Wilderness were paradise enow.

As to fine pipe tobacco - the ideal is to have one's own private blend on file at Dunhill's in London.
However, at most tobacconists you will find jars of various non-brand blends of various flavors - I found one I particularly likeed which the tobacconist (an enterprising chap) had made up on his own - mild, flavorful, and slightly aromatic - which he called "Longbottom Leaf" - hmmmm -
If you like Captain Black, smoke it - the most important thing in pipe smoking is seasoning the pipe -
First do not stint on buying a quality briar (although I hate to admit it, a corncob is just as good ala Gen. MacArthur) -- first pour in some cognac - let it sit until it is largely absorbed (some insist on doing this more than once before smoking) - then tamp lightly about a guarter inch of tobacco in, smoke, and allow to cool over night; next, tamp in about a half inch and repeat, allow to cool, repeating with the cognac here is a good choice should you choose to do so - lastly fill the pipe, and enjoy for many years - always have more than one pipe - never refill a hot pipe - clean the stem with a pipe cleaner after each smoke - if you must scrape the bowl, wait until there is at least an eighth of an inch of build-up - never scrape to bare wood. Certain pipes smoke best Irish style, bowl upside down - and, if you have not tried the German pipe with the ornate metal cap, even as beer is best this way, you might enjoy it greatly - I once bought some colonial style clay pipes at the Cooperstown museum (James Fenimore's farm - also has the Cardiff Giant in residence) and found them to be delightfully cool and pleasant - very short lived. I always smoked a pipe when visiting Clark, but also, in emulation, found the Dunhill filtered cigarette holder an excellent smoke - My class with Prof. Tolkien fixed me on the pipe - though 3 or 4 times a year I will indulge myself in a contraband Cuban. Cigar's are excellent for reading CAS' satires on psychiatry - after all, as Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Posted by: Dexterward (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2010 01:14AM
Thanks Calonlan - I'm sure "Professor JR" would have been proud of your hobbit-like erudition in regards to the minutiae of pipe lore!

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2010 08:09AM
Side note I may have mentioned before: Clark loved Fitzgeralds's translation of Omar Khayyam -
One evening for fun we recited the whole thing - I had memorized most of it already (it was the college drinking man's thing to do in my day), Clark never missed, and helped out where my memory lagged - what a hoot - and at 71 I still sing:

Come, fill the cup,
And in the fire of Spring,
Your Winter garment of Repentance fling.
The Bird of Time has but a little way to flutter,
And the Bird is on the Wing.

Goto Page: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page