Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Funniest CAS Book Cover Ever?
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2010 08:57PM
I should like to see an edition of the poetry as a beautifully bound book (Ebony and Crystal, and Sandalwood were originally) with just his signature on the cover in Gold.

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2010 06:49AM
Quote:
I should like to see an edition of the poetry as a beautifully bound book (Ebony and Crystal, and Sandalwood were originally) with just his signature on the cover in Gold.

That reminds me: Did Odes and Sonnets have a nice cover, or a dust jacket? I don't see it scanned at this site, although I might have missed it. Inside, it was certainly the prettiest CAS publication that I have ever seen (via Google Books, since I cannot sell my kidneys in order to afford a copy of my own!).

Date: 20 July, 2010 08:27AM
Yes and there was a dust jacket, but I don't remember it - I liked the dust jacket on Spells and Philtres -
the dust Jacket on Sandlewood is my favorite original - quiet, parchment like, elegant - Startreader also had a nice jacket,- I never saw one on Ebony and Crystal -

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2010 03:03PM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never saw
> one on Ebony and Crystal -

[www.eldritchdark.com]
Check in the upper left corner.

Posted by: Stan (IP Logged)
Date: 2 August, 2010 02:09PM
Absquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> One day, though, I would like to see CAS book
> covers whose artwork matches the quality and
> dignity of the author.

In that regard, I've always liked the covers Bruce Pennington did for the Panther editions. See here:

[www.postmodern.com]

Date: 3 August, 2010 03:36PM
Mentioning Arkham house - Spells and Philtres, and The Dark Chateau both had interesting covers -
and my god what they bring on the market today!!!

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 4 August, 2010 11:54PM
I have heard that Odes and Sonnets was originally issued with a thin, tissue-paper dust wrapper, similar to the one found on Donald Wandrei's Ecstasy, but I have never seen one.

Date: 5 August, 2010 08:39AM
You are correct abouts Odes and Sonnets, but, of course, those covers did not last - only hope for seeing one is finding one of those odd balls who buys books to decorate shelves, but never reads them.
I have met a couple - the guy also had a huge collection of Opera LP's which had never been played, but were on display for the purpose of deceiving guests into imagining they were in the presence of a genuinely cultivated individual - at a party in Waco, Tx,(where I was learning to be a Navigator for the USAF) - I found him our (his house), and after far too much imbibing, became angry at his absurd phoney act, and lifted him above my head (I could do that in those days) and tossed him fully clad into his pool - and stormed out (was kindly driven back to the base and BOQ by a fellow officer) - never got in trouble for it - he was prabably too embarrassed to report it - or too smashed to remember who did it.
Ah, the good old days,-- when we were neither "good", nor "old" - apologies for the trip down memory lane this Q invoked.

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 5 August, 2010 09:30AM
Thanks, Scott, for the additional information about the Odes and Sonnets cover. I was curious. The Harvard copy of the book that's scanned at Google Books, of course, does not have such a cover, but a library would remove that before cataloging and labeling the book for shelving, anyway.

At any rate, from what I've seen of the remainder of the scan, it's a lovely little volume, in its own right. It's nice at least to be able to download it in PDF.

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page