Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Where Would CAS Publish His Poetry Today?
Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 5 August, 2010 09:35PM
The "weird poetry" thread got me to thinking: If CAS were alive today, where would he publish his poetry (if anywhere)? I am thinking here of magazines or journals, and not of book publishers. Does anyone here have any thoughts? I am at a loss, myself!

Re: Where Would CAS Publish His Poetry Today?
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 6 August, 2010 08:46AM
Absquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "weird poetry" thread got me to thinking: If
> CAS were alive today, where would he publish his
> poetry (if anywhere)? I am thinking here of
> magazines or journals, and not of book publishers.
> Does anyone here have any thoughts? I am at a
> loss, myself!

Same as before - The Auburn Journal newspaper - unfortunately, or by desktop (though someone else would have to do it for him - I cannot imagine Clark sitting at a computer - it would frighten him beyond imagining. == assuming of course, that he had arrived at this point with the same background, and childhood ethos which is subsumed in the question - otherwise, were he 18 years old right now - hmmm
he might have been swallowed up by Dungeons and Dragons, who knows what an authentic genius who is truly sui generis might do in today's world - surely there are some - but the question is important - how will they reveal themselves?

Date: 6 August, 2010 12:25PM
I had more in mind whether there are any literary magazines or journals in existence that might host CAS's poetry, but I suspect that any genuine poet today would have to self-publish. If anyone knows of any such periodicals, however, it would be most interesting.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 6 August, 2010 12:31PM
A Facebook page for his stories, and Haiku poems on Twitter? :)

Anyone can become famous today.

I don't believe a CAS would have been possible today. He was an outgrowth of his particular Age. Talent today expresses completely differently, through other resources and tools.

Date: 7 August, 2010 02:26AM
Absquatch Wrote:

> I still wonder whether literary journals or
> magazines exist that might publish someone such as
> CAS, today--that is, a real poet--along the lines
> of the literary journals that once published the
> work of CAS and Sterling.

The poster ArkhamMaid had her poetry published in a magazine called "The Willows".

Date: 7 August, 2010 03:09AM
Absquatch Wrote:

> I also believe that their are still poets who
> choose to express themselves through poetry, and
> not by "other resources and tools" (Aside: What
> might these be? Song lyrics?).

The communication mediums people use, and consume, change over time. Books were more central in CAS's time. Is there basis today, without multiple distractions (such as popular music, TV, movies, Internet) for the long patience in building up the literary language and solid profoundity and depth CAS had?

I am sure there may be good poets living today. But in general, I believe exceptional talent of today expresses through other mediums. CAS, Lovecraft, Howard, etc, were Gods of their era. The expressive Gods of today are more to be found within music and movie magics.

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 7 August, 2010 08:42AM
Unless I'm very much mistaken, effectively CAS wrote short storied for the money, which I doubt would be viable today. So surely today CAS would be forced into using the novel form (although, sadly, I accept that the novel is far from being in its zenith as an artistic medium), which is potentially poetic and would probably cut him some slack in getting poems published in whatever journals that poems are published in today. I'm not sure how many people make a living out of poetry alone today, but not many I bet. I suppose most poets make a living from lecturing on creative writing degrees, so maybe a 21st century CAS could do this. I can't see him being the greatest screen writer (too greater emphasis on plot, I think) in the world and while film can be highly artistic it is a collaborative medium and, without being an expert on CAS, I don't feel that this would be a natural direction for him. Maybe a video artist? But then would CAS have any time for conceptual art? Probably not... Music, maybe? But if music was his thing then why not have explored it in the 30s? Maybe today he's have more opportunity, I suppose. Out of interest, what were CAS' musical tastes? One things for sure, judging from CAS' pictorial artistic attempts, it's unlikely that he would have made a famous painter! :)

Date: 7 August, 2010 09:03AM
I have written elsewhere on Clark's musical tastes, but for a refresher - the Sully's were the resident Culture Vultures of Auburn, and had taken Clark to the Symphony in Sacramento - also, Auburn itself was very active with several choirs of some skill, a local orchestra, and performances of major musicals in the local auditorium - Clark was "taken" to a number of these - he preferred the classics - "the music of the spheres" if you please - remember the line from his poem where speaks a "a dumb ditty called Sweet Adeline" - The Happy Hour did not have a "Juke" box, and if it had, anyone playing it would have found it very unpleasant; he deliberately limited his exposure to "pop" music, and of course, had no radio. I played Chopin and Bach for him on my piano, and sang Schubert Lieder at the Count's. All of which he admired greatly.

Date: 7 August, 2010 09:43AM
Quote:
Is there basis today, without multiple distractions (such as popular music, TV, movies, Internet) for the long patience in building up the literary language and solid profoundity and depth CAS had?

This is an interesting question, because CAS was in fact unusually precocious, and he developed his poetic gifts very quickly. I have read that one common denominator in cases of precocious genius is that, as children, the geniuses in question were exposed primarily to adult company, and had comparatively little exposure to their peers in age (siblings excepted). This pattern certainly fits CAS's early life.

So, it seems that not only are pop culture and technological diversions a distraction that would interfere with literary genius, but, in our overly-social climate, so is socialization by child peers, rather than primarily by adults.

As for literary journals, I know that many of the most "prestigious", which are affiliated with colleges or universities, receive such a large number of poems for potential publication that MFA students, or even upper-class English majors, act as "gatekeepers" and do the bulk of the first readings. CAS today would be lucky even to have his work read by an actual editor before rejection, let alone to have his poems accepted. A perusal of the Poet's Market shows that even journals that I would consider to be relatively non-descript routinely receive between 5,000 and 10,000 submissions, annually, of which they'll accept maybe one or two percent. Gresham's Law is more alive than ever, in the field of contemporary poetry.

Date: 7 August, 2010 12:15PM
Absquatch Wrote:

> So, it seems that not only are pop culture and
> technological diversions a distraction that would
> interfere with literary genius, but, in our
> overly-social climate, so is socialization by
> child peers, rather than primarily by adults.

Also, the Industrial Age, that was developing during 1800s and 1900s, is now fully realized, giving materialism to everybody. Even poor people sit at home watching TV, etc. So very few manage to avoid being tainted by the "overly-social climate".

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 7 August, 2010 03:38PM
calonlan Wrote:
> The
> Happy Hour did not have a "Juke" box, and if it
> had, anyone playing it would have found it very
> unpleasant; he deliberately limited his exposure
> to "pop" music, and of course, had no radio.

That's what I would have expected. The more I read and find out about CAS, the more I love him.

Date: 8 August, 2010 02:54AM
Knygatin Wrote:

> poor people
> sit at home and watch TV. Very few manage
> to avoid being tainted by the "overly-social
> climate".

Materialism, and democracy ad absurdum, has given the uneducated and vulgar the dominant voice. The intellectual cultural elite and aristocracy has been removed from educating authority, and instead we are force-fed by the garbage "reality shows" of the masses.

Date: 8 August, 2010 08:33AM
Quote:
Materialism, and democracy ad absurdum, has given the uneducated and vulgar the dominant voice. The intellectual cultural elite and aristocracy has been removed from educating authority

Indeed, and, from what I have seen of it, this state obtains in modern/post-modern "poetry", as well. After all, why shouldn't poetry mirror the Zeitgeist? That's why I was curious to learn whether there any literary magazines or journals that publish genuine poetry, today, and where CAS's poems might have found welcome.

Date: 8 August, 2010 08:11PM
Knygatin Wrote:
> Absquatch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > So, it seems that not only are pop culture and
> > technological diversions a distraction that
> would
> > interfere with literary genius, but, in our
> > overly-social climate, so is socialization by
> > child peers, rather than primarily by adults.
>
> Also, the Industrial Age, that was developing
> during 1800s and 1900s, is now fully realized,
> giving materialism to everybody. Even poor people
> sit at home watching TV, etc. So very few manage
> to avoid being tainted by the "overly-social
> climate".

Collateral comment to this thread: My eldest daughter teaches in Oklahoma - MA in English lit -
Using the Doman-Delacato Early reading kit (originally from the "Institute for Human Achievement" in Philadelphia - mid 60's - we began teaching her to read at age 6 months; by the third grade, she read at 11th grade level and would rather read than eat - of course the home ethos encouraged reading and the fine arts also - She began her career teaching HS English - during that time, a colleage in the biology department lost her job for teaching that men and women have an equal number of ribs - and, of course, in rural OK, everbuddy know that men have one less, count of God tuk one to make Eve, and it's in the Bahbull - (sorry) - she herself got into trouble teaching a unit on Renaissance Art, because some students ratted her out to their parents that she was teaching "Catholicism" - heresy among the primitive Baptists (well-named group) - She is now teaching "special ed." only - the other day I asked her why, and she replied that it is too discouraging because none of the kids care, and the frustration of trying lift them out their "comfort level" of lethargic ignorance had just become too great - and the Special Ed kids are always comparatively happy, thankful, and easy to work with. - It breaks my heart - at least her own kids are inheritors of the legacy -

Posted by: J. F. Uccello (IP Logged)
Date: 9 August, 2010 08:14AM
It seems to me that CAS was a freak (in the good sense) even in his own time, as were HPL and REH. These men were loner isolationists in the world of America at that time. In our filth-ridden and TV-asleep modern era, they would have been crushed at an even earlier age. Sorry to expound this bleak view, but originally seeing the title of this post made me feel a pang of absurdity. Poetry was turning into an autobiographical modernist joke at the time of CAS. He was a complete anomaly, even though there was still a vestigial remnant or traditional awareness and appreciation of the kind of Symbolist and exquisitely ancient verse he created.

My sense is that there is not a single popular venue out there that would even look at the work of CAS, let alone publish it.

Recently, in deep reading of CAS's poetry, I have the feeling that we are lucky that it has survived to reach us. We are in the deep minority, lovers of ancient and Symbolist conception. CAS was the last of a movement that was seeing its explosive heyday in 1890's Europe. When I read CAS aloud, I feel as if I am connecting with a distant ancestry and past that has no relation to this modern world and the kind of words it values.

Please excuse my rampant pessimism...

[www.viatoriumpress.blogspot.com] Dedicated to the Weird.

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2010 09:24PM
Hippocampus Press of course!

Date: 13 August, 2010 06:33AM
Again, *sighs*, I was thinking of literary magazines, and not book publishers. By the near-complete lack of suggestions for the former, though, I am assuming that there must not be any, which answers my question!

Date: 13 August, 2010 12:56PM
Nothing to do but to start your own!

Date: 13 August, 2010 03:57PM
Quote:
Nothing to do but to start your own!

I wish it were that easy! Also, I have the feeling that, given the state of poetry, today, filling each issue with quality material would be all but impossible.

Posted by: Noivilbo (IP Logged)
Date: 24 August, 2010 06:14AM
There are many venues CAS would probably be publishing his poetry in if he were writing today. Which writers today don't use the internet? Surely, if he were still alive, the old sorcerer would be using the "internets." Just look at Ralan.com for weird poetry markets, or duotrope.com for a more comprehensive list. Weird Tales, Space and Time & Star*Line come immediately to mind, but there are scores of others. There are also publications which accept only formal poetry, some no matter the genre providing the verse is good. --Noivilbo Tsal

Date: 24 August, 2010 10:46AM
There is a bit of a problem in the context of some of this thread - "quality material"? "good" work"? Most publications from the past have an abundance of the mediocre - other than the plainly banal - a publisher should be open to letting stuff in that he himself may not "get" - I would be very reluctant, based on history, to only publish stuff my own judgment ruled worthy - Vast amounts of great work received very adverse reactions on its first appearance, but time has often ruled against that which was the prevailing mode, and lifted up that which was condemned - Were I to do a magazine today, I would print damn near anything that was submitted and let the readers decide - few indeed will be great, some will be worth at least one read, and the majority will be garbage - so what?
It was ever thus!
The seventeenth century considered Shakespeare "rude and rustic" - but who does their plays today?

Date: 24 August, 2010 12:45PM
To address Calonlan's point, my reference to quality material was mildly facetious, but only mildly so. My personal opinion of most modern poetry that I have read, including contemporary work, is very low. Little of it rises even to the level of being called poetry, in my opinion.*

What's interesting is that, from what I can tell, most "reputable" literary magazines and journals take exactly the opposite of Calonlan's approach. Poetry magazine, for instance, receives over 90,000 submissions per year. It would obviously be impossible to publish all of that. In consequence, and to maintain its "elite" reputation, Poetry magazine accepts around 300-350 poems for publication per year.

Of course, that is at the "top" of the market. Even journals with a far lesser reputation than Poetry's accept five percent or fewer of the poems submitted to them annually. Under these circumstances, and as I mentioned in a previous post, MFA students, or even upper-year English majors, act as "gatekeepers" and do the bulk of the first readings of submissions. As I also mentioned, CAS today would be lucky even to have his work read by an actual editor before rejection, let alone to have his poems accepted. Literary journals' extreme selectivity is not only fact of contemporary life; it is likely more extreme now than it has ever been in the past. One of the many detrimental side-effects of an exploding population, I suppose....

I urge those who are interested in this subject to read David Alpaugh's excellent article "The New Math of Poetry" in the Chronicle of Higher Education. This article was a real eye-opener, for me. It helped to explain why those who do not follow the proper "po-biz" career track (MFA degree; networking/brown-nosing; teaching post; early publications facilitated by aforementioned brown-nosing; list of poetry prizes won in cover letter) can pretty well forget about ever having their poetry published in any selective journal, today.

Not that any of that necessarily matters, of course, but I just wondered whether there might be a decent journal somewhere that would consider publishing CAS--ideally, this would not be self-publication on the Web, or in a journal within the "weird literature/SF" ghetto. As one commentator suggested, one of the few "formalist" journals might be the best bet.

* Please, no flames for this statement of mine. I'd prefer that this thread not be derailed into an argument over the merits and demerits of modern poetry. As I have mentioned, I am sure that there are plenty of "unpublished, inglorious Miltons" in the modern era, too. I just question whether that will ever be able to publish in today's climate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24 Aug 10 | 12:49PM by Absquatch.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2010 04:40AM
A Smith active today would, of course, not write the kind of poetry the Smith we know did.

Date: 25 August, 2010 08:35AM
Quote:
A Smith active today would, of course, not write the kind of poetry the Smith we know did.

Perhaps not, but he wouldn't write like Williams, Eliot, Pound, Moore, Rich, or Benjamin Peret, either.

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2010 10:35AM
Besides Donald Sidney-Fryer's excellent "Atlantis Fragments", are there any other great poets in the last 30 years I should be aware of? If so, please name the books I should look up and try!

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2010 02:12PM
I think some of the poets have already been mentioned, but maybe in another thread: Richard L. Tierney, Leigh Blackmore Ann K. Schwader, Franklyn Searight, and Fred Phillips (OK, Fred's first collection hasn't been published yet -- it'll be out from Hippocampus Press in December -- but IMO his poetry is great.)

Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2010 02:23PM
I wonder if CAS would be able to publish anywhere today. Look at the phony "poetry" in Asimov's. They're just paragraphs arbitrarily chopped up into separate lines. Not a single rhyme; how can you memorize something that has no rhythms? His prose poems were better than the "free verse" crap that's ubiquitous today. I hate kvetching.

Date: 25 August, 2010 07:59PM
Saw this weird pic on Google Earth. Could it be the location of CAS's Mhu Thulan in ancient Hyperborea?

At 70* North, 40* West in Greenland, there is a massive, marbled prism submerged in the snow, and a censored block as well.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Date: 27 August, 2010 08:23PM
(We need an HPL thread.)// This is definitely Lumley/Lovecraft country. The spawn of Shudde-Mell from lost G'Harne.

[www.boingboing.net]

Date: 28 August, 2010 04:27PM
Gill Avila Wrote:
> Saw this weird pic on Google Earth. Could it be
> the location of CAS's Mhu Thulan in ancient
> Hyperborea?
>
> At 70* North, 40* West in Greenland, there is a
> massive, marbled prism submerged in the snow, and
> a censored block as well.
>
> [www.huffingtonpost.com]
> rth-pictures-the_n_690836.html#s130126

the marbled block is no doubt an alien craft - the censored section is probably a picture of Ms Huffington in the nude -

Posted by: OConnor,CD (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2010 10:04PM
Wow J.F., that was beautiful and melancholy at the same time.

Posted by: australianreaderdotcom (IP Logged)
Date: 2 December, 2010 12:51AM
There are places out there that would publish CAS, were he alive anow and writing. For instance, until recently Contemporary Rhyme published, exclusively, rhyming verse on the internet, and CAS would have been welcome there. And, had he been situated in Australia, there are a number of journals that would have taken him.

Many of the speculative markets are not averse to formalist poetry; Ann K. Schwader finds plenty of markets for her formalist work, according to an email that she sent me some years ago, and I have succeeded with both my free verse and my formalist verse.

In addition, there is the thriving amateur press scene that would have attracted CAS, as well as, to blow my own trumpet, my various little magazines of verse, some of which are still going.

And there is also the possibility of self-publishing....

Blog: The Cruellest Month -- [the-cruellest-month.blogspot.com.au]

Date: 2 December, 2010 08:17AM
When I first posted, I had in mind to exclude the "speculative markets" and the idea of self-publishing from my query. I am aware of some of the neo-formalist outlets (there's actually a surprising amount of free verse in The Star Treader, albeit true vers libre, and not the obnoxious, illiterate modern type), but I wonder how receptive they would be to some of CAS's pre-Sandalwood subject matter?

At any rate, I am less sanguine than you are, but I am sure that there are possibilities. I am also sure, however, that there has never been a worse age than our own for an unknown poet who is actually a poet to try to publish and make a name for himself. In the U.S., at least, access to the prestigious poetry markets is tightly controlled by the academic mafia of MFA students and their professors. Believe me, if you are not one of "them", and you dare to submit work there, then all you have to look forward to is an automatically generated rejection. These people won't even read what you write unless you trumpet your MFA, your academic affiliation, and the list of "prizes" (another incestuous racket) that you've won. If you happen to be a real poet, to boot, then so much the worse for you.

In this environment, CAS would be a minnow in a shark tank, and would indeed likely have no other recourse that the ignominy of Internet posting, or of cheap, "on-demand" or other self-publishing.

Date: 2 December, 2010 01:37PM
I understand entirely, and I agree for the most part, however there are changes in the perception of internet-published poetry, since some publications such as Jacket have proved prestigious enough as to warrant consideration.

My experiences with Jacket: it had proved impossible to be considered for publication therein, since the poetry was by invitation only. So, therefore, I resigned myself to forgo the attempt at Minerva's virtue, so to speak, lest I be slapped down in haste and scorn. However, this did not stop me from becoming friends with John Tranter, and, in the process, sharing poetry with him. So, at last, I was invited to submit a piece I shared with him. The conclusion that contacts are more important than content can be drawn, and the political element of the contemporary poetry scene, to allude to Lovecraft's distinction of the types of amateurs, must be dealt with on its own ground, if they are to be persuaded to accept your work, so to speak. This is not to imply that Mr Tranter is such a politician; I understand his worldview when it comes to the aesthetic principles applied to Jacket, and I would follow them at some point, if a certain proposed publication sees light.

Date: 2 December, 2010 02:44PM
Thanks for the additional thoughts. It's certainly an interesting subject, and I am glad to know that Internet publishing is perhaps less "bottom of the barrel" than I have assumed--though I still imagine that such publications as Jacket are the exception, rather than the rule.

Side note: Jacket's home page trumpets a blurb by the Guardian, which proudly announces that in the former, "the slant [is] international modernist and experimental". Based on that description, I am guessing that that crew would not think much of CAS's poetry, either!

Date: 2 December, 2010 02:58PM
You're right about the possibility of CAS' publication in Jacket. Part of its reason-for-being being to showcase and promote Australian poetry in silent juxtaposition with non-Australian work.

It may interest you to hear that I am planning a study of poetic reactions against Modernism among poets in the US and Australia. CAS shall be one of them, Sterling, Lovecraft, Howard and Sidney-Fryer will be the other US poets covered. The title, for me, was the obvious allusion to/pun on Freud, being the all-too predictable Modernism and its Discontents.

Date: 2 December, 2010 03:58PM
Quote:
You're right about the possibility of CAS' publication in Jacket. Part of its reason-for-being being to showcase and promote Australian poetry in silent juxtaposition with non-Australian work.

*Chuckles* Point taken, but we both know that that wouldn't be the only reason why CAS, time-transported, would fail to find welcome there.

It's interesting that there's such a nationalist slant on poetic matters these days, by the way.

I saw the reference to your proposed study of poetic anti-Modernism. It's a worthwhile subject, though I hope you can find a more varied roster of poets than the one you've proposed. Have a look at F.L. Lucas, for instance. He was an interesting character: Poet, novelist, critic, and Cambridge don. He also wrote a wonderful contemporary demolition of Eliot's Waste Land. Lucas's introduction to Beddoes's selected poems is superb, as well (a few inevitable quibbles aside).

Oh, and Walter de la Mare, too--he's such an obvious choice, I nearly forgot him! Although--surprise, surprise--his reputation has fallen faster and harder than the stock market in 2008, he had far more influence and a far better contemporary reputation than any of the American poets you cite (perhaps the Australians, too, but I can't speak to that), and he is, in my opinion, a far greater poet than any of the Americans, apart from CAS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2 Dec 10 | 04:14PM by Absquatch.

Date: 2 December, 2010 04:11PM
I am unfamiliar with F. L. Lucas' work, and I shall take the time to look it up. Thank you.

As for the selection, I decided that concentrating on "major names" would help my argument that Modernism wasn't the sole arena for poetic excellence, and that there is room in the non-Modernists' work, and the anti-Modernists' work to justify the processes of criticism.

Further, where the criticism of Lovecraft, McAuley, Brennan and CAS has encompassed the poetry, there is a greater dearth of writing about Sterling, Sidney-Fryer, McCrae and, Stewart.

In any case, those names so far selected correspond with poets whose work I feel I can saying something about, with some sympathy and knowledge. And that counts, I hope, for something.

Date: 2 December, 2010 04:22PM
Your book, your strictures! Note, however, that my edit suggesting de la Mare may have crossed with your reply, above. De la Mare was English, so perhaps he doesn't qualify for the book? Depth and personal interest are important, of course, but so is breadth, I feel. I think it would be a mistake to limit the book's subjects to Americans and Australians, myself, but again, your book, your strictures.

Date: 2 December, 2010 04:31PM
I understand what you mean, regarding the limitation to just Americans and Australians, and I am sure that you could agree that the variety of possibles is such that many more such poets could be named.

I considered that, rather than going for breadth of focus, ten or so poets, in detail, with an emphasis upon descriptive criticism, would work better for my thesis that there is excellence among those not professing allegiance to Modernism as an aesthetic principle.

At some point, I would like to consider an anthology of reactions to The Waste Land, including the F. L. Lucas piece you had kindly brought to my attention, and the obvious example of Lovecraft's "Waste Paper". It would also give me the chance to essay an attempted at the Middle Way, that, while overrated, it has its good points and bad points.

Date: 2 December, 2010 04:58PM
Understood, as well, and thanks for the clarification. The thesis that anti-moderns can produce excellent work obviously calls for a different approach from that of a work that would explore a broader history of anti-modernist poetry. I still hope that you'll reconsider de la Mare, though; he'll really strengthen your case. Calonlan would agree, I think, although I certainly would not presume to speak for him.

That said, I also hope you'll devote several pages to the "Ern Malley" hoax. Bravo to your countrymen McAuley and Stewart for that gem.

Date: 2 December, 2010 10:45PM
I would love, at some point, to be able to devote the space, time and effort to a fuller history of English-language poetry in the20th century, to cover those points that you bring up, as well as the poets in addition to those already mentioned. It would cover Canadian and New Zealand poetry as well, both areas of interest, and of great mystery, to me.

Yes, I shall be covering Ern Malley, especially in my coverage of McAuley and Stewart. he is too important a figure in the history of Australian poetry to be ignored.

I would add that de la Mare deserves a wider and sympathetic study in his own right; your thoughts?

Date: 3 December, 2010 08:27AM
I've trumpeted de la Mare's virtues on this forum at every opportunity. As to your question, I am not familiar enough with the secondary literature about him to comment, although I was annoyed that the author of the Twayne's monograph on de la Mare essentially shoved his poetry aside and concentrated on his fiction. There's an excellent biography of de la Mare available, as well. In any case, I think that studying him from the perspective of anti-Modernism would be a valuable undertaking.

Since you're also interested in Sterling, I would add that the Twayne's volume about him is quite good, although at the end of the book the author cannot help lamenting Sterling's anti-Modernism, and compares Sterling unfavorably to Robinson Jeffers. There's a certain irony here, as Jeffers was in many respects anti-modern, himself. For this reason, his work has suffered an exile to oblivion almost as profound as Sterling's, thanks to the modern "high-brows" whom CAS so rightly loathed.

Quick note on Erm Malley, whose story I wish more knew. Kenneth Koch, a wretched New York School "poet" and professor of literature, was among those who believed that, hoaxes aside, Malley's work was truly great modern poetry. For many die-hards, the Emperor's New Clothes will always consist of beautiful and exotic fabric.

Date: 3 December, 2010 04:04PM
I shall hunt up the biography (I have an inordinant fondness for biographies of poets) and shall look into the secondary literature when I can get a chance. The likelihood of a study on him from an anti-Modernist position, from myself, is slim, since there is so much more I have planned.

Thanks for the tip re: Sterling. I shall hunt up that volume. As for Jeffers, his collected poetry has recently been published, in five or so volumes. I cannot afford them, but I dream.

I don't remember who said it, but a critic once remarked that good poets in their own right seem incapable of writing genuinely bad poetry to order. With Malley, there is a certain something there that appeals, and the best of it does have its points of interest. For someone like myself, at home in modernism and anti-modernism (I'm still coming to terms with postmodernism) in poetry, it is easy to see why many modernists are fascinated by the ludic aspects of the hoax. Have you access to Michael Heyward, The Ern Malley Affair (St Lucia : University of Queensland Press, 1993)?

Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 5 December, 2010 01:33PM
To get back to the original question (no offense intended),...

I think it would be published in one of those oversized journals of
poetry whose cover composition is one long blathering string of names
in various fonts and/or colors like, " Harry A. Potter, Huey Louey Duck,
Candy Whitman, Eagar Alex Popery, Clark A. Smith, Billy Bag O'Doughnuts."
Etc,etc. ( and don't you wish *your* name was on the list so *you* could
be poet too? Aren't you just greeeeeen with envy?)

And there CAS would be- lost in the Cultural Oblivion that is the Modern World.
No one would read him, no one would discover him, no one would care.
Although maybe you read something by him in Eng Litt. 101 - or was that a
movie you saw somewhere once? Can't remember,... But speaking of Poets,
wasn't "Dead Poet's Society" the coolest movie ever!? Was this Smith guy it
that one?

Sorry Guys. It that Cynical enough for ya?

Cathexis

Date: 5 December, 2010 06:42PM
No offense taken. I was hoping that we'd return to the original question.

Anyway, your cynicism is welcome. On this subject, one cannot be cynical enough, in my view. A more plausible scenario for a CAS, today, however, would involve repeated failures to place his poetry in a journal because of the lack of connections and MFA degree. Also, he would be hindered by the fact that he is a real poet, as opposed to an excremental modern false poet. Having failed to crack the journal market, CAS would be forced to self-publish via the likes of Amazon.

Date: 5 December, 2010 10:07PM
I don't see the lack of an MFA having that much of an effect. It would limit his chances in some mundane publications, but he would still have many of the little magazines open to him.

Considering, also, that I've managed over 500 acceptances over the last 12 years or so, without an MFA, it would be possible for CAS to have his successes in the current market. Further, that there would be small presses open to him would be a given, even if only for the fact that I work for one of them as a poetry editor.

Date: 6 December, 2010 07:02AM
I was exaggerating for effect, regarding the MFA.

For the rest, you yourself have admitted to exploiting personal connections. Also, as I thought I made clear earlier in the thread, I am explicitly referring to relatively prestigious markets in poetry, and not to amateur journals.

Hope that helps. At any rate, we can debate 'til the sun rises and sets in our various parts of the world, but we'll never know for certain, apropos of CAS and his possibilities of success, today. In any case, I am less interested in generalities in these speculations than I am in knowing the names of specific professional markets, today, that might publish a CAS, just as he was: Unconnected (except for Sterling, a major connection, I admit!), formalistic, and wholly against the grain of the times.

Date: 13 December, 2010 03:42PM
I am re-reading the volume of Clark Ashton Smith's correspondence with his mentor, George Sterling. It is, of course, fascinating and instructive in its own right, but it also covers many subjects that are pertinent to this thread.

For instance, in one letter to CAS, there is a complaint by GS that brings a sardonic grimace to my lips. GS complains that one particular magazine to which he sold a poem paid "only" $30. Now, keep in mind that, in 1915, the sum of $30 was, adjusted for inflation, the equivalent of $641.43, today!

My heart absolutely bleeds for poor George! Can anyone name many poetry markets that pay $30 per poem in today's dollars, let alone what $30 were worth ninety-five years ago? Another small piece of evidence that, as dismal as those days were for poets, they resemble Utopia, compared to today.

Date: 13 December, 2010 05:55PM
I don't see the evidence there, frankly. Things are looking pretty good if you can get paid for travelling around in a bus on tour with a hundred other poets, as Gary Mex Glazner did: the fruit's there for the pickings; you just have to know the extent of the orchard.

Date: 13 December, 2010 07:16PM
Quote:
I don't see the evidence there, frankly.

Not even a "small piece of evidence", which is how I carefully qualified my statement?

Anyway, I am not going to argue with you. I merely repeat: Can anyone name a fair number of markets that pay even $30 per poem in today's dollars, let alone in 1915 dollars?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13 Dec 10 | 07:19PM by Absquatch.

Date: 13 December, 2010 07:43PM
P.S. Can anyone even imagine CAS submitting to the indignity of riding around in a bus with 100 "other poets"? I can't even imagine the social butterfly Sterling doing that! Yes, we do live in better times, don't we?

Date: 13 December, 2010 08:06PM
Before saying 'yea' or 'nay' I suspect that, no matter how many titles I trot out, you wouldn't consider the end result as "fair". I can say, with certainty, that each major literary journal in Australia pays at least $50 AU (around $40-$45 US) for a poem, often more, and that this should be considred fair given the state of the poetry market in Australia.

Date: 13 December, 2010 08:15PM
You assume that sharing a bus with 100 other poets involves indignity, which just shows how little you understand. I have been in comparable situations, with similar amounts of poets, and none of us expressed any indignity: we expressed, instead pleasure at being able to be part of a sizable amalgamation of writerly talent.

The essential thing is that Mr Glazner and the other 100 poets got paid to go on tour, something which seems to have eluded you in your seeming insistence that the only pay that matters is that for poems submitted to literary journals.

Publication in journals does not pay as well as other sources of income, but it is essential to landing books with publishers, which is where most poets get their income from selling their poetry to the reader.

There are alternatives: grants are one, a laureateship is another, sponsorship is another, so is patronage. All are legitimate means for making income that are open to poets now, and potenmtially open to CAS were he alive today. In that sense the poetry scene has greater potential today, and also because the number of poets supported is far greater than in the early to middle 20th century.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2010 04:23AM
Personally, when the poetry bus comes into town I hide under the bed.

Date: 14 December, 2010 08:20AM
australian reader:

As I said, I don't intend to argue with you about this subject, but since your tone is veering toward the wounded and the personally offensive, I will add a few additional remarks.

First, I am delighted to read that there are Australian magazines that pay something close to a pittance, though they come nowhere near to what CAS and Sterling earned, adjusted for inflation. My copy of Poet's Market is not at hand, but I'll take a look at it soon to see how many paying markets meet or exceed the munificent thirty dollar threshold.

As for the titles that you threaten to trot out, you'd be better advised to do that than to make snide implications about my open mindedness. As you should know, I am always happy to repay such remarks in their own coin, and with interest, so allow me to suggest that, in your case, unwillingness to provide such titles actually equates to inability to do so.

As to your market-based rationalizations, you completely evade the question of how much the market has deteriorated, in terms of journal payments, since Sterling's and Ashton Smith's time. Book publications were just as important to CAS and Sterling as journal payments, so please, don't try to imply that book publication today is any different in that regard from yesterday.

Quote:
You assume that sharing a bus with 100 other poets involves indignity, which just shows how little you understand.

Your remark shows how little you understand, actually. While I certainly find the idea of a poetry bus comical (and, as you can see from the other comment, I am not the only one), what I am actually assuming is that Clark Ashton Smith would find such a thing undignified, as I plainly stated. I am willing to bet my net worth that I am right, too.

I should add that I am not the least bit surprised to learn that you were on the bus.

Quote:
your seeming insistence that the only pay that matters is that for poems submitted to literary journals.

Hmm, clearly I have touched a nerve, here. One would search in vain for any statement of mine claiming that pay for submissions is all that matters. Surely, though, it is primary? A poet ought to get paid for publishing his work, and not to have to get onto a poetry bus and prostitute oneself?

Quote:
[A]lternatives: grants are one, a laureateship is another, sponsorship is another, so is patronage. All are legitimate means for making income that are open to poets now, and potenmtially open to CAS were he alive today. In that sense the poetry scene has greater potential today, and also because the number of poets supported is far greater than in the early to middle 20th century.

Yes, those ways do exist for those who are willing to brown-nose and ingratiate themselves with others, or to complete endless paperwork, in the case of grants, and to play various other social games. In all seriousness, do you really think that Ashton Smith would have done so? (Sterling, more likely).

In any case, don't forget the dole; that remains an active possibility, as well. ;-) Alas, CAS and Sterling could not collect social security disability insurance or welfare to support themselves in those days. So, yes, I suppose in that respect we are a little more enlightened, today, than we were a century ago. The elephants in the room that you ignore, however, are the following:

1. What percentage of any types of poets today actually receive laureateships or patronage; and,

2. Whether a poet such as CAS, in particular (as opposed to a brown-nosing, modernist poetaster), would truly have those options open to him. You keep forgetting that that is the subject of this thread--what would a modern-day equivalent of CAS do, today?

Anyway, that's more than enough. I will not even bother to read any further huffy, evasive, and immaterial replies from you. If you care, however, to post something pertinent to my original question, then I remain interested. Otherwise, have fun on the bus!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14 Dec 10 | 08:34AM by Absquatch.

Date: 14 December, 2010 09:06AM
Quick P.S. :

Scott Connors could be of help here, I am sure, but it's clear that CAS did receive a degree of patronage during his early life (usually inadequate, but better that than nothing). It is equally clear, however, that this was due almost exclusively to Sterling's willingness to bleed his wealthy friends on CAS's behalf. That aside, CAS primarily sought to depend upon magazine sales of his poetry to earn additional income.

Date: 1 January, 2011 07:43PM
I have just read for the first time the last dozen or so posts on this thread - very interesting - as to the bus-load of poets - I almost fell out of my chair laughing - how would these persons be identified as "poets" - by whose standards were these folk identified as "poets" - I would have said that I doubt there have ever been 100 actual poets in the United States and any given time - Over my shoulder, as it were, I can hear the booming laughter of my old friend John Ciardi, whose magazine "The Saturday Review" of literature was created just to publish aspiring talent - and sitting about the kitchen table grousing about the endless amount of drivel that poured in to his office - Clark would have found a bus ride of this sort hideous and demeaning - not that others might love it - but he would have hidden some place to avoid it - the Happy Hour bar in Old Town I think - and as to self-publishing?
I cannot imagine Clark anywhere near a computer - any desk-top publishing would have to have been done by some technologically adept friend - even had he been born in 1993 and was just now at the beginning of his career, raised in the midst of technology, I am afraid this world would have swallowed him utterly - to depressing to think about the Smith family of free spirits trying to survive in this world -

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page