Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Clark Ashton Audio Books Copyright
Posted by: Silas Hawkins (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2010 05:46AM
Dear All

I am a UK actor/voiceover with considerable audio book experience and a long-standing fondness for the weird fiction of Clark Ashton Smith.
I have an unusually wide range of character voices,including some that
are quite unique and highly suited to the outre denizens of CAS's world.
I would love to record some readings of his work and was wondering what the copyright situation was in the UK.I'd also be interested in working for US audio book companies,if that were possible.
Anyone at Eldritch Dark who's interested can listen to samples of my work at <www.cutglassproductions.com> and <audiobooksforfree.com>
I'm particularly fond of 'The Seven Geases' and 'The Doorway to Saturn'.
The first CAS story I ever read (early teens) was the 'The Death of Ilalotha' - in an anthology of vampire tales by various authors,and I was so captivated that I sent off for all the CAS anthologies published by Panther and spent many a happy hour in Hyperborea,Averoigne etc.
hoping some of this is of interest/will bear fruit
regards
Silas Hawkins

Re: Clark Ashton Audio Books Copyright
Posted by: ErecSia (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2010 09:58AM
Quote:
Anyone at Eldritch Dark who's interested can listen to samples of my work at <www.cutglassproductions.com> and <audiobooksforfree.com>

I must apologise for my inability to offer any meaningful contribution here; I am interested in hearing these samples, but they're proving difficult for me to locate at the sites specified. Am I missing something?

Oh, I see that I was just being an idiot and couldn't find the correct part of the site. Sorry! I think you're pretty good and am definitely hoping you will be able to do some of these CAS readings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17 Sep 10 | 10:07AM by ErecSia.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2010 03:21PM
As of August 14, 2011, CAS will go into the PD in Canada, but IIRC the UK has a life-plus-75 years copyright. Still, there are a good number of Smith stories on audio books, mostly from Ziggurat Productions.

I applaud your fondness for "The Seven Geases" and "The Door to Saturn". The former is one of my favorites, and if the latter is not quite up to that magnificently ironic story, it still has some great lines ("Think of the National Mother").

Best,
Scott

Posted by: Silas Hawkins (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2010 12:41PM
Dear Scott

Thanks for the info. - will follow it up.
To you I say (at long intervals,and in the manner of that apterous and stylitean
bird-people the Djibbis) the mystic syllables 'Yop!' 'Yoop!' and 'Yeeep!
yours esoterically
Hziulqoigmnzhaa.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page