Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Selected Letters
Posted by: Steven Fama (IP Logged)
Date: 18 December, 2003 11:10PM
Happy Holidays to all,

and what's up with the Arkham Selected Letters?

Has it shipped?

As of yesterday is was not in the local fantasy sci fi shop here in San Francisco.

-- Steve F.

Re: Selected Letters
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2003 05:01AM
SELECTED LETTERS is now shipping, and copies are already arriving (I was speaking with John Hitz last week and his copy arrived while we were speaking). I believe that Gavin has received his copies, as has Jim Rockhill. Arkham House did not receive its entire shipment at once, but has been receiving small lots sent from the binder. (There were several difficulties with this edition, ranging from a dust jacket that was too short to a defective signature that need redone to a photographic plate that had a very embarrasing error. I have one of these copies, one of only 3 that weren't pulped, and despite that error it is a truly lovely book.) Neither Schultz nor I have received our copies yet; in fact, I just received an email from Arkham House regarding this. Your copy will be arriving soon, Steve--Arkham is filling advance orders first, then dealers, then maybe the editors! Prepare to be awed! It is a great book, and I'm not just saying that because I edited it. Best, Scott

Posted by: Ludde (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2003 09:22AM
I have just received the Selected Letters. What a BEAUTIFUL book! And what great and vibrating photographs inside...most of which I have never seen. Ranging over his whole life, from little kid in school!, and onward.
Got to get back to the book and dive into it again!

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2003 06:02PM
"Prepare to be awed! It is a great book, and I'm not just saying that because I edited it. Best, Scott"

Every word Scott says about this book is true. It is a delight! Hope everyone's copy has arrived since this thread began. Back to the book . . .

Jim

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2003 06:57PM
Not mine :(

But, living down here I'm use to that. Surface mail takes up to 4 months though 2-3 is more usuall and air about 10 days but I know that's not cheap, often the postage is higher than the value of the goods.

Happy pagan solstice to you all, Im sweating away in another lovely sunny but muggy Auckland Christmas eve.

Oh "Auckland" is mentioned once in the works of CAS:

Quote:
I remembered, of course, that I was Mark Irwin, first mate of the freighter Auckland, plying between Callao and Wellington; and I recalled only too well the night when Captain Melville had wrenched me bodily from my bunk, from the dreamless under-sea of a dog-tired slumber, shouting that the ship was on fire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23 Dec 03 | 07:08PM by .

Posted by: bobmann (IP Logged)
Date: 5 January, 2004 06:05PM
I'm not in a position to order it internationally through my credit card, and would like to get it via my local bookshop. Does Arkham House have a UK distributor they can get it from?

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 6 January, 2004 03:54AM
Check out [www.fantasticliterature.com]. They handle most American small press titles. There's also at least one big speciality store in London, can't recall name off the top of my head. Best, Scott Connors (who has a vested interest in your purchase!)

Posted by: bobmann (IP Logged)
Date: 7 January, 2004 06:00PM
Thanks - I'll try that. I'll get it somehow, anyway...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page