Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Pox Populi?
Posted by: treycelement (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2011 04:52AM
Would i like CAS to have SOME of the mass popularity of H8tch-Pedo-Hell and the rabid racist wREHtch?

Yeah, I would.

But do I also LIKE it that he DOESN't have mass popularity?

Well, yeah, I do.

Quote:
There is a strange comfort in reading a special author whom you know so few other people have experienced. Ray Bradbury said it best: "Smith always seemed, to me anyway, a special writer for special tastes; his fame was lonely. Whether or nor it will ever be more than lonely, I cannot say. Every writer is special in some way, and those who are more than ordinarily special are either damned or lost along the way." Knowing that they won't damn Clark Ashton Smith, and that they are willing to recover what of his might be lost, gives his fans a sense of closeness to him.

source of quote about cas

But I wonder...

Would i like HPL more than I presently like CAS, if HPL were as "obscure" as CAS presently is?

And further...

Is it a VIRTUE in CAS not to appeal to the masses? NOT to have beeen colonized by the role-playing community? Ect.

I'd say so, yeah...

There'#s a good short quote in THEE WILL 2 POWER (by nifty ole Neetch) i'm trying to trace.. Something about the PRIDE of an author/scholar in the SMALLNESS, thus SELECTIVITY, of his audience. Seems VERY applicable to CAS.

Re: Pox Populi?
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2011 11:46AM
Clark said it best as always: "Sweet are the uses of obscurity" -

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page